Can America be fixed?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

I could keep looking for more parts available in Australia and how to Skirt some of the customs on all the parts you can buy in the USA, but I sort CBF and I do t want to fall on some watch list lol

But Like I said, it's a bit naive to think that these things can't be done at home if you you really wanted to. The quality of which will be relative to your resources/effort/desire.

Times are a changing.
I think just about anything can be done if you're motivated enough and have the know how.

What the media seems to be portraying however is being able to print a deadly weapon with a $300 3d printer. The printing is a housing for the firearm, could make something timber, or fibreglass, or repurpose a dildo - my point was the engineering required is a step above a trip to Bunnings and Jaycar.

The other thing we don't have here is a massive gun culture. We have a few that wish we were America 2.0, but for the most part we're all happy to not have them and have no desire to risk getting in big doo-doo for the sake of making a gun we'll never use. The whole thing isn't a big problem imho.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
When I was in year 7 my history teacher arranged for a strange man (possibly a teacher, but likely more a LARP nut, maybe both?) to bring a truck full of Ye Olde weapons etc to the school. Swords, shields, axes, armour, bows, arrows and a small cannon. We had interactive play based learning with all the toys. It was a lot of fun. Then...the moment came to fire the cannon. It probably would have been a good idea to provide forewarning to the principal and other staff about this. Holy shit it was loud! And the chaos that followed the unexpected explosion was wonderful.
That would be the famous Peter Lee. Not a teacher but a total LARP nut who lived on butter menthols. He put a hole in the Asquith girls high school hall with said cannon. Rumor has it that he died in the mid nineties when he crashed his truck and was taken out by the dozens of swords and spears that lay loose in the back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That would be the famous Peter Lee. Not a teacher but a total LARP nut who lived on butter menthols. He put a hole in the Asquith girls high school hall with said cannon. Rumor has it that he died in the mid nineties when he crashed his truck and was taken out by the dozens of swords and spears that lay loose in the back.
Yes, that's him. And yes he died crashing his truck. Many years later I worked with another fellow who was into that larp life. Apparently the day I constructed a fort wall and suit of armour at my desk from a large box was a deep insult.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When I watched that film as a teenager I had either no smoked enough pot or had smoke too much, I've never been quite sure. I had watched a bit of the python's other stuff and off shoots etc and generally enjoyed it. But the holy grail just didn't connect.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
When I watched that film as a teenager I had either no smoked enough pot or had smoke too much, I've never been quite sure. I had watched a bit of the python's other stuff and off shoots etc and generally enjoyed it. But the holy grail just didn't connect.
You shouldn't watch it start to finish, it's more like a dégustation to be enjoyed scene by scene.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Wow, I remember this guy. Same as you Poods, our history teacher in year 7 or 8 organised him to come. All I remember is a big tent full of stuff, a few students got dressed up in "medieval" costumes, and him saying he'd rather live now than in the Middle Ages, because of hospitals and medical care. Didn't realise the rest of the story though, and we never got a cannon!

safreek

When I was in year 7 my history teacher arranged for a strange man (possibly a teacher, but likely more a LARP nut, maybe both?) to bring a truck full of Ye Olde weapons etc to the school. Swords, shields, axes, armour, bows, arrows and a small cannon. We had interactive play based learning with all the toys. It was a lot of fun. Then...the moment came to fire the cannon. It probably would have been a good idea to provide forewarning to the principal and other staff about this. Holy shit it was loud! And the chaos that followed the unexpected explosion was wonderful.
I actually restored an old hammer shotgun at school in year 8. Made the stock and all, braised ? a new trigger on it.
When finished I was allowed to test fire on school property.
Different times and a Mallee school. You city slickers had no idea what you missed out on

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I actually restored an old hammer shotgun at school in year 8. Made the stock and all, braised ? a new trigger on it.
Different times and a Mallee school. You city slickers had no idea what you missed out on
The local farmer let us build a kick arse BMX track in the paddock next to my primary school in the 80s. Broke a few pairs of forks on the affectionally named Super Jump. Apparently the school took out the track in later years citing liability or something :(

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I vaguely remember the same visit to our school. The cannon was out on one of the sports fields though since at that time. They just spent a load of money on a new hall so someone wisely must have thought that allowing a demonstration cannon inside of it might not be a good way to get a promotion.

Hell of a Darwin way to go though. A truck load of spears and swords wasn't ever going to end well.

safreek

The local farmer let us build a kick arse BMX track in the paddock next to my primary school in the 80s. Broke a few pairs of forks on the affectionally named Super Jump. Apparently the school took out the track in later years citing liability or something :(
Damn sad

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I was in school in the late Cretaceous period we were allowed access to the wood lathe and table saw and metal lathe before and after school. Similarly at uni the whole floor that was machine tools was available after the first year subject showing how these things worked and getting some operation time. Just had to demonstrate proficiency after that and your name was on a list and the key made available. We made a lot of stuff in four years. #2 went to the same uni 30 years later, floor of equipment reduced to maybe a quarter and no access at all. Tools were demonstrated by techs and that was it. No hands on.

Sadness but indicative of the times. My favourite exercise in the first year subject was we were given a chunk of steel about 80mm cube and had to use the shaper to get it to a 75mm cube within a tolerance of 0.5mm. No so hard. One group managed to get a cube that was 20x24x16. Swarf was the winner that day.