Orbea Rise

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took some more photos today and I've made a new thread in the "post your ride" section.

I took it out on its second ride today, I didn't have much time but did the full loop of everything at Mill Creek. I was mostly playing with the suspension settings since previously I'd only set the sag and added some rebound.

I'd say I'm going to ride this bike in profile 1 Eco mode most of the time, this is pretty much offsetting the extra weight the motor/battery brings and maybe an extra 20%. This is actually the lowest default assistance level and I feel its plenty for me as I'm already reasonably fit.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I took some more photos today and I've made a new thread in the "post your ride" section.

I took it out on its second ride today, I didn't have much time but did the full loop of everything at Mill Creek. I was mostly playing with the suspension settings since previously I'd only set the sag and added some rebound.

I'd say I'm going to ride this bike in profile 1 Eco mode most of the time, this is pretty much offsetting the extra weight the motor/battery brings and maybe an extra 20%. This is actually the lowest default assistance level and I feel its plenty for me as I'm already reasonably fit.
Interested to see what range and elevation you get out of a full charge. I would like a bike that feels like a normal bike but instead of being knackered from a 50km/1500+m ride, I can be not quite as knackered from a 70km/2000+m ride.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interested to see what range and elevation you get out of a full charge. I would like a bike that feels like a normal bike but instead of being knackered from a 50km/1500+m ride, I can be not quite as knackered from a 70km/2000+m ride.
I used the bike to commute to work today, it was fully charged and the battery ran out about 20m from my house on the way home.

The ride in was 15.2km with 221m of elevation gain.

For the ride home I went the long way so I could ride a whole lot of singletrack. It was 38.2km with 759m of elevation gain.

Just guessing here but I'd say the assistance levels were 70% Eco, 5% Trail and 25% Boost for this commute. There are a lot of long, steep and boring firetrail climbs on my commute so I just use Boost for those, it basically erases them from the ride and leaves you fresh for the good bits of trail.

With all my previous rides that were just for fun I'd say I'm 95% Eco, 5% Boost.

Stredda

I used the bike to commute to work today, it was fully charged and the battery ran out about 20m from my house on the way home.

The ride in was 15.2km with 221m of elevation gain.

For the ride home I went the long way so I could ride a whole lot of singletrack. It was 38.2km with 759m of elevation gain.

Just guessing here but I'd say the assistance levels were 70% Eco, 5% Trail and 25% Boost for this commute. There are a lot of long, steep and boring firetrail climbs on my commute so I just use Boost for those, it basically erases them from the ride and leaves you fresh for the good bits of trail.

With all my previous rides that were just for fun I'd say I'm 95% Eco, 5% Boost.
/
That's pretty good and if it rides pretty much like a normal bike when it does die, then that's not too bad either.
Notice the Shimano rattle much?
I took a Moondraker with an EP8 for a spin a while back and didn't really notice it.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
/
That's pretty good and if it rides pretty much like a normal bike when it does die, then that's not too bad either.
Notice the Shimano rattle much?
I took a Moondraker with an EP8 for a spin a while back and didn't really notice it.
It died boosting up the last hill to my house and to be honest it felt like riding through wet cement after coming off Boost, but yes normally the bike pedals fine without the motor.

I noticed the rattle on the first ride and have forgotten about it ever since then.

Stredda

It died boosting up the last hill to my house and to be honest it felt like riding through wet cement after coming off Boost, but yes normally the bike pedals fine without the motor.

I noticed the rattle on the first ride and have forgotten about it ever since then.
I'd rather the rattle descending when the trail chatter tends to cover it up than a noisy motor when climbing where you are going more slowly and would notice it more.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a 58km ride yesterday without the battery going flat. A little red light comes on when the battery hits 20% remaining and I was still a fair way from home when this happened so I dropped it back to Eco (lowest assistance level) for the remainder of the ride and made it home no problem. I have been having a lot of fun lately with riding to the half way mark of my ride in the low setting and then bumping the assistance up one level to the trail setting. This basically makes flat sections of singeltrack feel like like its going slightly downhill and sections with some incline feel flat. Everything becomes high speed singletrack and relatively boring parts of trail become an absolute blast to ride!

In the ten days since picking up the bike I have done 235km and I have also lost 4kg of body weight since I last weighed myself (which is not often). I'm still playing with some suspension settings and also the saddle position. I find this saddle rather uncomfortable after about 2 hours of riding so today I have noticed it is a long way forward which explains some hand pain so I have slid it back and taken a little bit of tilt out. I guess a this is natural with any new bike, it takes time to set everything up properly. If that doesn't solve the problem then I'll just have to replace the saddle.

Stredda

How much elevation in that 58km?
Good to see you are enjoying it, really helps to justify the outlay :p

I have a WTB rocket saddle and it's way more comfortable than to old stock seat on my Norco Sight.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok that's fairly decent. How do you find that little battery indicator thing? I think I would opt for the Shimano display.
I like the stealth look of it and considering most people are going to run a Garmin which will display all that info anyway its actually a really good idea from Orbea. The battery detail is certainly lacking with the little LED display but the assistance level is perfectly adequate now that I'm used to it. With more time on the bike I am starting to get a feel for how far I can ride on a full charge, I don't really want to buy a new Garmin, I've owned them in the past but I generally only use about 5 - 10% of their functionality. I think I will just persevere with the small LED display for now.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went back to Kentlyn yesterday, my intention was to try and do 7 laps which would be about 50km. It would be a balance between battery life and my personal fitness but I got the balance wrong and tapped out at 5 laps.

For anyone who has done the XC loop you would know that it is pretty full on and not much places to rest, you kind of have to be on it the whole time. To manage the battery I did the first 4 laps on the lowest assistance level (Eco) but by the 4th lap I was already getting pretty tired. For the 5th lap I bumped it up to trail mode but I was already too tired and hungry even though the bikes battery was still at about 30% remaining.

A 50km ride is pretty average for me on this bike but Kentlyn XC really takes it out of you. If I had of done 3 laps in Eco and then bumped it up to trail I may have completed the 7 laps but I also may have run out of battery.

Attachments

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I went back to Kentlyn yesterday, my intention was to try and do 7 laps which would be about 50km. It would be a balance between battery life and my personal fitness but I got the balance wrong and tapped out at 5 laps.

For anyone who has done the XC loop you would know that it is pretty full on and not much places to rest, you kind of have to be on it the whole time. To manage the battery I did the first 4 laps on the lowest assistance level (Eco) but by the 4th lap I was already getting pretty tired. For the 5th lap I bumped it up to trail mode but I was already too tired and hungry even though the bikes battery was still at about 30% remaining.

A 50km ride is pretty average for me on this bike but Kentlyn XC really takes it out of you. If I had of done 3 laps in Eco and then bumped it up to trail I may have completed the 7 laps but I also may have run out of battery.
So that will be next weekend's test?

I must say, this is the most enjoyable e related content I have read.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So that will be next weekend's test?

I must say, this is the most enjoyable e related content I have read.
Thanks mate, considering how long I've had the bike I haven't really had much chance to ride it because of the constant wet weather. So I'm really looking forward to riding it more and figuring things out.

I have been using it to commute to work when I can which has been great with petrol prices the way they are.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Thanks mate, considering how long I've had the bike I haven't really had much chance to ride it because of the constant wet weather. So I'm really looking forward to riding it more and figuring things out.

I have been using it to commute to work when I can which has been great with petrol prices the way they are.
The commute aerosuit saves even more. Less battery use. jda saves the planet

Reb2

Squid
Does anyone know a good store to buy one of these Orbea Rise? They look sick but they are so expensive! I want to make sure I'm buying from a legit store.
Cheers

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously it depends where in the country you are.
If you're in Melbourne there's stock in Ivanhoe Cycles. Hallam, SE Melbourne. Can't comment on the price. They're a decent enough shop, been going years with LOADS of stock at all price ranges.

No, I'm not on an affiliate deal.