Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

cammas

Seamstress
So what does one say to my neighbour that warms up his triumph for a few minutes at 5.30 am before heading to his shift job? Waking us and a several other neighbours up in the process?

It’s a modern fuel injected bike - it doesn’t need it, just start and go. Probably doing more damage idling rich and washing oil off the bores…
He’s probably just gloving up and putting his helmet.
You would’ve love living next to me back when I did rotating shifts, use to fire up the bike at 4:30am for days, get home on arvos anytime between 11pm - 3am then nights leave at 9pm and get home at 7am. The old ZZR1100 twin cans were nice and burbly especially with the choke on a cold morning or hear me coming home on nice summer night at 2am on the GSXR with Remus system.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
He’s probably just gloving up and putting his helmet.
You would’ve love living next to me back when I did rotating shifts, use to fire up the bike at 4:30am for days, get home on arvos anytime between 11pm - 3am then nights leave at 9pm and get home at 7am. The old ZZR1100 twin cans were nice and burbly especially with the choke on a cold morning or hear me coming home on nice summer night at 2am on the GSXR with Remus system.
Yeah I don’t get it. You know it’s loud, you know people are sleeping - do you jsut not give a fuck or is it something about enjoying being annoying?

cammas

Seamstress
Yeah I don’t get it. You know it’s loud, you know people are sleeping - do you jsut not give a fuck or is it something about enjoying being annoying?
None of the above, both bikes were pre injection so no just starting and taking off especially on a cold morning did I sit doing it for fun no, were unroadworthy loud, no. Noise travels when it’s quiet.

Do you expect the guy to push his bike out quietly and then start it a couple of houses down, then someone else will complain especially as he doesn’t live there.

If you chat to him he might be fine with it, but you run the risk if you speak to him and he doesn’t like it you may end up with…..

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No, I just want him to start it and ride off. Not wake us up completely and give me a chance to get back to sleep. Not leave it running for 5 minutes….

Haakon

Keeps on digging
And even on carbs, if it’s properly tuned you can ride it away cold…

Yes, noise travels in the cold early air - hence fuck off with the bike when you start it.

cammas

Seamstress
I’m actually looking to buy another bike at the moment was going to look at a FJR this week but decided I think I want another vtwin.
Either another Vstrom but this time 1000 or maybe a Buell Uylsses if I can get one in my price bracket and yes it will have a sports system, as commuting in the western suburbs of Melbourne, I want to be heard before I’m seen.
If anyone has seen my posts in LTIH or the garden thread, yes I hate my neighbours but unlike @Haakon neighbour, I get to sleep in these days and don’t leave until 6:30am so not ungodly hours.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’m actually looking to buy another bike at the moment was going to look at a FJR this week but decided I think I want another vtwin.
Either another Vstrom but this time 1000 or maybe a Buell Uylsses if I can get one in my price bracket and yes it will have a sports system, as commuting in the western suburbs of Melbourne, I want to be heard before I’m seen.
If anyone has seen my posts in LTIH or the garden thread, yes I hate my neighbours but unlike @Haakon neighbour, I get to sleep in these days and don’t leave until 6:30am so not ungodly hours.
6:30 is ungodly for Haakon.

Vote 1 Vstrom 1000.

Ultra Lord

Selling my landcruiser soon, big question is do I spend the money on a second hand ~2013 F800GS or spend up and go a Tenere 700?

Currently splitting the costs of a F800GS but the old man can’t keep up offroad when he’s on his Honda Crosstourer, so I’ll be buying another bike so he can run the current F800GS we have. If he’s on the BMW I’m either not there or I’m on my TE300 and fuck he’s got no hope then haha.

F800 pro’s: I know I like them, smooth, reliable and the year models I like are much cheaper than the Yamaha so it leaves me money to get suspension sorted (forks are WAY too soft, but magically still harsh on small bumps. Rear shock undersprung, and abit of a pogo at speed offroad).

Tenere pro’s: oooooo shiny. Something new. Apparently more dirtbikey than F800? Seat certainly looks that way and it’s reasonably slim for a 200kg 700cc ADV bike. By all accounts reliable and solid.

Choosing bikes is fun, but the doubt is real.

Yes I know ADV bikes are the gravel bikes of the moto world.
No I don’t care.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
6:30 is ungodly for Haakon.

Vote 1 Vstrom 1000.
Not ungodly as such, but still a sleeping. As are most people.

Start it, engage first and fuck off quietly, there’s a good chap. If it stumbles a bit in the first km or so, I’m sure you’ll cope ;)

Minlak

custom titis
So I am confused - He just starts it and lets it idle or he revs it? - Cause you know starting it and riding away will require revs anyway - I would also suggest you are waking at the first start as the noise is introduced - So him riding away won't make any difference to your waking - What could make a difference is your attitude - Instead of waking and instantly getting pissed at humans as you live in suburbia let it go it is what it is and go back to sleep.

On a side note was showing my SO the race warm up on the MT10 (no cat or silencer) at 7:50 Sunday morning - So it sits there and revs to 4000 rpm and drops and revs etc to warm up the bike - Neighbour mentioned it last night - "Oh I didnt know you had motorbikes so that's what the ungodly sound was on the weekend" - Lol - they weren't annoyed as already awake and I wont use it at home from now on anyway

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So I am confused - He just starts it and lets it idle or he revs it? - Cause you know starting it and riding away will require revs anyway - I would also suggest you are waking at the first start as the noise is introduced - So him riding away won't make any difference to your waking - What could make a difference is your attitude - Instead of waking and instantly getting pissed at humans as you live in suburbia let it go it is what it is and go back to sleep.

On a side note was showing my SO the race warm up on the MT10 (no cat or silencer) at 7:50 Sunday morning - So it sits there and revs to 4000 rpm and drops and revs etc to warm up the bike - Neighbour mentioned it last night - "Oh I didnt know you had motorbikes so that's what the ungodly sound was on the weekend" - Lol - they weren't annoyed as already awake and I wont use it at home from now on anyway
Yeah I still don’t get it. It’s not “just suburbia”, it’s basic human manners… Why would you think that was ok?

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah I still don’t get it. It’s not “just suburbia”, it’s basic human manners… Why would you think that was ok?
Why do I think it is ok? Because I have more tolerance than you is why - The man is getting up before sun up in all kinds of shitty weather to make a living. My description of basic human manners doesn't involve because I was annoyed the world must be wrong - So why do I think that is ok - Its because I am different to you.

Ultra Lord

Not ungodly as such, but still a sleeping. As are most people.

Start it, engage first and fuck off quietly, there’s a good chap. If it stumbles a bit in the first km or so, I’m sure you’ll cope ;)
I’m already awake, why do I care if my bikes idling?
Your sleep is a you problem. Double glazed windows cut noise down nicely, give that a go.

cammas

Seamstress
Wow, people still think that? This is a more entertaining take on it;)

https://sc-project.com.au/do-loud-pipes-save-lives/
Lane splitting on the western freeway is where it counts, where every knob is cutting lanes to get to work or home that 30 seconds earlier, now I’m not getting a Harley with drag pipes or ground thumpers, but if cruising between two cars, which is legal under 40ks in Victoria, you want to make sure they hear coming. I still drive like I’m riding but still get the crap scared out me especially by learners or a quiet bike sneaking up next to me whilst I am parked in the 100k zone as someone’s looking at a broken down car.