BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
This just popped up on a FB group.... seems the rear carrier failed and no-one noticed for a while.... ouchView attachment 390078
View attachment 390076View attachment 390077
This is the reason you don’t put a vertical on a rear bumper - it’s a hard lesson to learn, the rear bumpers on a lot of vans aren’t attached directly to the chassis, the format of a vertical rack means it will have more movement than a horizontal, and that exacerbates it. I have done numerous mounts now, and it’s on the drawbar or not at all - those that have gone against my advice have had either the adapter or whole bumper fail - please just don’t. The only exceptions are those camper trailers with a load bearing hitch built in, but that would be on the advice of the trailer manufacturers.

edit: while I’m here Australian Mountain Biking Magazine are doing a comparison of 9 vertical bike racks in the Australian market in an upcoming issue, they’re currently doing testing now.

clockworked

Like an orange
edit: while I’m here Australian Mountain Biking Magazine are doing a comparison of 9 vertical bike racks in the Australian market in an upcoming issue, they’re currently doing testing now.
So we'll find out that they're all amazing and equally amazing in every way, but also individually amazing. But the company that pays AMB the most will be the most amazing, and best value independent of price.

I'm pretty sure I've got their template right

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
So we'll find out that they're all amazing and equally amazing in every way, but also individually amazing. But the company that pays AMB the most will be the most amazing, and best value independent of price.

I'm pretty sure I've got their template right
Nope, that’s pretty cynical - no payment just supply of a rack to be tested which is then returned. As for the review, no idea what they’ll say, they’re an independent third party?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Sooo went and found the post and it turns out idiots were using an internet bought hitch extender, and now they've had a look at reviews there are a bunch of people complaining about them failing. Stupid is as stupid does.
Note the distinct lack of penetration of the weld to the smaller box section.

Last edited:

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Looking for a 2 bike horizontal rack to go into a 50mm hitch. Suggestions ?

Primary requirement is robust and still going strong after 5 years.
Tilt would be nice but not essential.
Prepared to consider higher priced units but probably thinking $500-ish.

I am running a mudhugger so I am not sure how useable some of the wheel clamp arms would be.
Bikes are ali so not worried about clamping top tube unless somebody has a reason not to.

Will be going on a mid sized SUV.

I tried reading the thread but its hard to know what is still available and difficult to compare.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

I am running a mudhugger so I am not sure how useable some of the wheel clamp arms would be.
Bikes are ali so not worried about clamping top tube unless somebody has a reason not to.

I tried reading the thread but its hard to know what is still available and difficult to compare.
I have the rocky mounts monorail 2 bike, great rack. Shop around, should get a good price.
Easy to put together, doesn’t clamp top tube, seconds to put bikes on and off, highly recommend.
https://rockymounts.com/products/monorail-2.html

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

ISI Racks.

I have a 10yr old one, still as good as it was when new. Some battle scars, chips and rust, nothing a black rattle can doesn't fix up.

Would bet I could sell it for what I paid for it 10yrs ago as they hold their money well and are highly regarded as robust and trustworthy. Not for sale though.

Both the missus and I still use it when carrying 1 or 2 bikes.

We have 2 different hitch units for it for different vehicles and I also fabricated a 1 bike extender and a 2 bike extender for it. I also had a custom base that went on the 'A' frame of our caravan.

Even know we have a 5 bike vertical SingleTrail rack, we still need and use the ISIS regularly.

I would estimate we have done well over 150,000km with it, all around Aus including every race we go to, 2 laps of Tassie, twice across the Simpson Desert and about ~50 x 550km return trips to Melrose over the years.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Gripsport. I've had three generations of them and currently have a 4 bike one that splits time between the caravan and car. Very solid but not as heavy as the ISI. Also have a 2 bike from the previous generation that must be 10 years old and still going strong.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I can guarantee that is absolutely not how it works :rolleyes:
I look forward to reading how they are all illegal and not for public usage, lights and number plate obstruction and sharp edges etc.
Also how they are all a modified copy of a northshore rack!
I have built my own vertical racks (first one was 2012) and will still use them even though they are illegal, over hang is the biggest issue and 60% of wheelbase or 1.2M whichever is less is the law.
Yes I've read the ADR's as it's part of my job designing 4wd accessories.

I do hope ALL these companies do well from there products as it is a great way to carry bikes!