COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Minlak

custom titis
I did three tests with my recent covid bout all the saliva test. The first one gave a very faint positive. Two day later I did another test. A different brand this time and the first one did not have any reaction (no lines at all) so I assume it was a dud and the second one gave me another very faint line for the positive.
My daughter works at a large Brisbane hospital - Negative RATS test - sent by Supervisor to get PCR test as the RATS tests are widely regarded and shit and inaccurate - Out of curiousity she RATS tested every day of he quarantine as she was Covid Positive - took till the 5th day of quarantine to get a positive test

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
My daughter works at a large Brisbane hospital - Negative RATS test - sent by Supervisor to get PCR test as the RATS tests are widely regarded and shit and inaccurate - Out of curiousity she RATS tested every day of he quarantine as she was Covid Positive - took till the 5th day of quarantine to get a positive test
does her 7 day timer start again? :D

Minlak

custom titis
does her 7 day timer start again? :D
The whole system is fucked IMHO - As she tested positive Monday - She only has to quarantine for 7 days and as long as she does not have symptoms - there is no need to have a clear RATS test anymore - She also got to quarantine in a house with 2 other people by staying the majority of time in her room and they don't have to quarantine yet they all live together - Now I say this not with a view that it should have been better lock down but with a view that it is such a joke can't we just move on now? - if you feel sick stay home should be a mantra for life not just covid

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Colleague of mine didn't pick anything up with the saliva test. Did one and a nasal RAT at the same time. The nasal came back positive but they got nothing out of the saliva one.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Calling this out, RAT's are shit unless you are 3-5 days in with enough viral load to test positive
Yes / no. I think they're shyte, but there's definitely no hard and fast rule.

Daughter was sick for 3 days before she tested positive. Full blown cold symptoms the whole time, testing every day.
I tested positive on day 1, headache forming and that "maybe it's hayfever" sinus feeling just starting. Big red line on my test immediately while I wasn't even certain I was sick.

I think it's like a pokie machine, fark knows what you're going to get

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Confirmed "NOvid" for me, so my record of dodging that bullet remains intact.

Flu instead, with a serving of underlying Epstein-Barr virus on the side. The bloke at work I got it from reckons it's worse than Covid, which he's had twice, and that's without the extra E-B influence!
Same here, covid had longer lasting after effects but novid hits really hard and fuks off really quickly. 2-3 days of headache, snot, no taste or smell, cough, bunged up head, nose bleeds then gone. Mine kicked off Monday last week with cold/corona symptoms then had me house ridden Tue and Wed. I remember laying in bed on Wednesday night and my nose/sinus was completely blocked with zero chance of clearing the shit out of it and it was uncomfortable breathing, woke up Thursday as if the previous 3 days hadn't even happened.

I would have put big money on a positive RAT/PCR on any of those 3 days.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I started off feeling slightly itchy in the throat & hot around the nose later on Wednesday, but put it down to the normal irritation that goes with workin in composites, even with proper filtration masks. The tickle hadn't gone away overnight, and still wasn't too bad when I started on Thursday morning, but I went rapidly downhill over a few hours. Knocked off work at 10:00 when I finished the layup session; within an hour I was asleep or borderline comatose, and stayed that way for most of the next 24 hours.

Friday I was awake for, but I'm not entirely sure that's an improvement.... Everything hurt, especially the lymph glands in groin, armpits and neck (that's the E-B influence), roasting hot legs & feet, freezing arms, thunderous headache and the sorest throat this side of Glandular Fever. Senses of taste & smell intact, and no snot, although the odd blob of lung muck.

From Saturday onward it's been much the same stuff in constantly decreasing severity. Still basically no snot, which distinguishes this thing from a normal cold for me, although the nose is a bit restricted. Voice is fucked but that's OK, I rarely use it anyway. :p Inside my chest is itchy, but throat itself is now fine.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Flu vaxxed? I've been doing it since it became free for me at work, work always does it in April.

It's funny anecdotally hearing people say "I never get the flu so won't bother" but were vehement about getting COVID vaxxed. People are strange.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's funny anecdotally hearing people say "I never get the flu so won't bother" but were vehement about getting COVID vaxxed. People are strange.
I am one of those people. Since you fancy being condescending allow me to return the favour: COVID is scary af. I'm still having memory issues and other mental health problems since I had it several weeks ago.

Also helps when in a bad year influenza deaths were under 900 in Australia. COVID is tipped to kill 10,000 people here this year.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I am one of those people. Since you fancy being condescending allow me to return the favour: COVID is scary af. I'm still having memory issues and other mental health problems since I had it several weeks ago.

Also helps when in a bad year influenza deaths were under 900 in Australia. COVID is tipped to kill 10,000 people here this year.
I think a lot of people don't realise how much more prevalent covid it. Just think about how many people you know that get the flu each year. (proper flu not a cold) and now how many you know that have had covid in the past 12 months.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Someone told me the flu vax is free for everybody right now?
I got the flu vax about 3 weeks ago. I get a pretty normal immune response to it so I'll happily get it every year, whether I have to pay or not. Heard immunity and all that.
The covid vax knocked me about, both AZ and Pfiz. I'll still get boostererered each time when it's available.
Whilst I'm happy to do it, I understand that others may not be, whatever the reason.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The sad shit with all this is half the people I know are in some state of sickness and getting on with life, happy they have recovered from covid/novid with a constant cough and other with lasting issues from vaccination complaints.

I've said a few times on here, the flu vax makes me instantly flu'ey for 3-4 weeks after getting the jab, the corona jab made me sick for 3 months after getting jab 2.

I was happy to get the corona jab and 6 months later (Jan 22) would have been sacked without it.

My 2nd jab was Aug 21 so 10 months ago, I have had no boosters and will not be getting a flu jab. I've had covid and as of last week, novid which felt worse.

Fuck this being sick or knowing you are not at 100% and being ok with it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The sad shit with all this is half the people I know are in some state of sickness and getting on with life, happy they have recovered from covid/novid with a constant cough and other with lasting issues from vaccination complaints.

I've said a few times on here, the flu vax makes me instantly flu'ey for 3-4 weeks after getting the jab, the corona jab made me sick for 3 months after getting jab 2.

I was happy to get the corona jab and 6 months later (Jan 22) would have been sacked without it.

My 2nd jab was Aug 21 so 10 months ago, I have had no boosters and will not be getting a flu jab. I've had covid and as of last week, novid which felt worse.

But what's the counterfactual? If you respond poorly to a vaccine, I would not like your chances with the real thing without a vaccine.

Part of the reason men have a shorter lifespan than women is that men's immune systems tend to over react to stimuli.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Flu vaxxed? I've been doing it since it became free for me at work, work always does it in April.

this is a silly position. @Asininedrivel covered it.

I've had the flu vax several times when it became a thing. Got the flu every time. No more or less worse then flus from any other time I've had it. The only difference is that every time I've had the flu vax, instead of feeling sick once a year, its been twice. The economics of doesn't make sense for any normal flu season unless you're at risk.

If we were faced with a spanish flu type influenza, i would rush to get THAT vax in may arm.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

It's a complex situation. Some people have no choice but to "soldier on" when they are unwell. A hugely casualised workforce leaves a lot of people without paid sick or annual leave.
I have little patience for people who do have leave entitlements and decide to share their illness around. Although even then it's an entrenched mentality to keep on working. It's pretty shit that workers are treated like naughty kiddies who have to bring a note from a doctor to justify their sick leave. It's your sick leave, FFS!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It's a complex situation. Some people have no choice but to "soldier on" when they are unwell. A hugely casualised workforce leaves a lot of people without paid sick or annual leave.
I have little patience for people who do have leave entitlements and decide to share their illness around. Although even then it's an entrenched mentality to keep on working. It's pretty shit that workers are treated like naughty kiddies who have to bring a note from a doctor to justify their sick leave. It's your sick leave, FFS!
covid support payments for people who have missed at least 8hrs of work in a fortnight due to needing to isolate have been available (and continue to be) to anyone with no leave entitlements left and liquid assets of les sthan 10k. I'm unsure if its a flat 1500 payment or payment upto 1500, but the bar for qualifying isn't even validated in any meaningful way and you can access it multiple times. There really is no excuse for wandering around with it