Lego

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@scblack you bastard you've got about 15 different sets I want, particularly the GT3 RS and the Caterham. Awesome collection. Where did the garage come from? Do you rate the Architecture sets?

I was very fortunate many years ago to borrow set 8860 from a mate to build. Great fun, even if the steering mechanism is a bit antiquated the engine more than makes up for it by how characterful it is. I even built a body over it that could most politely be described as a rear engined Nissan EXA (first gen). No photos available as any camera pointed at it would've combusted (bit ugly).

@Chriso_29er I had that yellow Model Team Jeep too! Got stolen (along with my entire Technic collection at the time) in a break in. At least the thieves had taste I guess. Also that little yellow van in the foreground was my first ever Technic set :) What's that red pneumatic excavator like? I've heard the first gen pneumatics were a bit..... challenging to get working properly?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I was very fortunate many years ago to borrow set 8860 from a mate to build. Great fun, even if the steering mechanism is a bit antiquated the engine more than makes up for it by how characterful it is. I even built a body over it that could most politely be described as a rear engined Nissan EXA (first gen). No photos available as any camera pointed at it would've combusted (bit ugly).
I have 8865 which is the next gen version. Same wheels, V4 motor, 3 speed gearbox, body work with retractable headlights controlled from the cabin. It was my first major set and I loved it.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@scblack you bastard you've got about 15 different sets I want, particularly the GT3 RS and the Caterham. Awesome collection. Where did the garage come from? Do you rate the Architecture sets?

@Chriso_29er I had that yellow Model Team Jeep too! Got stolen (along with my entire Technic collection at the time) in a break in. At least the thieves had taste I guess. Also that little yellow van in the foreground was my first ever Technic set :) What's that red pneumatic excavator like? I've heard the first gen pneumatics were a bit..... challenging to get working properly?
Red excavator is still one of my favourites. Works really well, but yes the pneumatics were more complex than later versions. But never had issues with it. Only one hose to each cylinder so relies on switches to divert to suction.

Little yellow multi set was my first technic set as well haha.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah, yours are pretty good. Match this artistry though, it took me ages to make it:p
Accurate scale model of a tractor pulling rig.

This set is from about 1980 - i have had since I was 10years old.
My 8860 is missing some bits, we started to rebuild it when the first Lego Masters series came on in COVID times but didn't get far. We have an 8466 that was given second hand in pieces to our son many years ago and it has some missing bits but we got as much of that built as possible. I have no sets intact from when I was young, just boxes of assorted (now sorted, did a lot of sorting from the one buge box) stuff.

Lego Masters is also by far the finest reality television show ever created.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I have 8865 which is the next gen version. Same wheels, V4 motor, 3 speed gearbox, body work with retractable headlights controlled from the cabin. It was my first major set and I loved it.
Loved that one too, especially as a kid. The really OTT crazy one (that's arguably yet to be bettered for tech) was 8880 from a few years later - chain driven 4WD via a four speed gearbox, 4WS and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Never seen one in person though.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I loved Lego as a kid and had quite a big collection. Filled 2 60L tubs.

Sold all my other toys as I grew up but had the foresight as a kid to not sell the Lego. Sadly it all got stolen from my folks place before I had kids of my own to pass it on to.

My two favourite sets were these:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I loved Lego as a kid and had quite a big collection. Filled 2 60L tubs.

Sold all my other toys as I grew up but had the foresight as a kid to not sell the Lego. Sadly it all got stolen from my folks place before I had kids of my own to pass it on to.

My two favourite sets were these:

View attachment 389267

View attachment 389268

Old space sets for the win!
Still got a couple of my old sets here :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My sister & I had a fair collection when we were kids, a lot of which stayed at our parents' place so her kids could play with it when they were there.

A lot was given away after a while, but we (mostly her) kept some kits. I got back into it fairly recently; my very modest collection comprises a 2-in-1 sailing boat kit, which can be built as either an ocean-racing monohull or a hi-po catamaran, and a McLaren Senna, both Technic kits.

One I really drooled over years ago was I think simply labelled as "Supercar", possibly referred to a few posts up. Proper cranking engine, 4wd, 4ws, 4-, maybe 5-sp. gearbox, I can't remember, working steering and suspension. Way more than I could afford at the time, and when I could it was discontinued. :(

scblack

Leucocholic
Quite the collection you have there mate, awesome!

Been very tempted to get one of the modern cars, but haven't as yet :(

Though lockdown did present the perfect opportunity to get out my collection for the first build in a long while haha
And my only newer Technic set for the moment. BMW R1200GS, impressive detail including correct telelever front suspension, boxer engine and driveshaft rear end.

90's Model Team

80's - 90's Technic collection
The BMW bike is apparently a damn good set.

scblack

Leucocholic

The Porsche GT3Rs is a very valuable set now. The garage is a MOC set from China - not a Lego as far as I'm aware.
Architecture sets are OK. Overpriced for what they are, I've only got sets from places I've been, I'm not much of a traveller.

A couple of years ago I pulled out my 8860, which was not complete and order replacement parts from Bricklink or someone for me to complete it. That was only about 15 pieces required.

My next restoration is Beach Buggy 8845 but I have only about half its pieces and they are proving hard to locate pieces.

scblack

Leucocholic
Accurate scale model of a tractor pulling rig.

My 8860 is missing some bits, we started to rebuild it when the first Lego Masters series came on in COVID times but didn't get far. We have an 8466 that was given second hand in pieces to our son many years ago and it has some missing bits but we got as much of that built as possible. I have no sets intact from when I was young, just boxes of assorted (now sorted, did a lot of sorting from the one buge box) stuff.

Lego Masters is also by far the finest reality television show ever created.
I restored my 8860 with a few pieces, and built it with my daughter - great times.

Lego Masters is great!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The Porsche GT3Rs is a very valuable set now.
Yep, I had it on my list for ages but never pulled the trigger. Then in between February 2020 and April 2020 it went from $550 a set to $900 and I stopped looking. I got the Chiron instead, still haven't built it though. Not completely sold on the Sian. For that kinda money I prefer the big Technic trucks / cranes etc. as they have more functions / wow factor (and aren't as massive).
One I really drooled over years ago was I think simply labelled as "Supercar", possibly referred to a few posts up. Proper cranking engine, 4wd, 4ws, 4-, maybe 5-sp. gearbox, I can't remember, working steering and suspension. Way more than I could afford at the time, and when I could it was discontinued. :(
Yeah it was this one. Exactly the same story for me too :(

scblack

Leucocholic
Yep, I had it on my list for ages but never pulled the trigger. Then in between February 2020 and April 2020 it went from $550 a set to $900 and I stopped looking. I got the Chiron instead, still haven't built it though. Not completely sold on the Sian. For that kinda money I prefer the big Technic trucks / cranes etc. as they have more functions / wow factor (and aren't as massive).
The Bugatti is not the best looking Lego at all I dont think, but it does step up some factors - W16 engine, 8spd gearbox, the moving rear wing is quite a complex job.
Sian is much better I think - amazing techniques in many areas.
I prefer cars to trucks/cranes. Each to his own. :)

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have very little interest in this sort of Lego. Sure I admire the technology in some of the models but I’m happier kicking back on the rug making random shit with the kid.Anyway I recently found some old stuff of mine from when I was a kid. Including these wheels. The smooth ones have to be 45years old at least. They look like a duel tires off a truck
I.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I have very little interest in this sort of Lego. Sure I admire the technology in some of the models but I’m happier kicking back on the rug making random shit with the kid.Anyway I recently found some old stuff of mine from when I was a kid. Including these wheels. The smooth ones have to be 45years old at least. They look like a duel tires off a truck
View attachment 389283I.
Nothing wrong with that @Jpez , this is the collection of normal lego the boys have.

This is Mrs George's first ever lego set that I gave her last year for her 51st birthday

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The cars leave me a bit cold, too many compromises in how they look. Wife got me the mini clubman for Christmas or something. I built it but not a great model of a car. Some of the other stuff like the hydraulic cranes I find a bit meh too but I guess you do the stuff you are interested in. This has prompted me to finish off the crawler crane now that I have all the bits in the right colours and a few better ideas...