Bargain buys thread

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Oh man. I’ve been mulling over a 12spd ‘upgrade’ for a while. Minimum X01 for mechanical or GX AXS. The AXS is a couple of hundred more buckaroos but saves ongoing cable costs (assuming equivalent reliability(?).

I haven’t ridden the AXS. What’s it like compared to a high end mechanical shift like X01 / XT?
The shifting on all the high end stuff is generally great (everyone has a preference and I prefer SRAM feel and like the double click of the Shimano) but the one thing for me that tips the AXS over is the durability. That little getmethefuckouttahere motor seems to be of great help in reducing catastrophic failures. I have hit mine hard, so hard that I thought yep that's gone, only to fit a new hanger and it's perfect. I've had mates rip off AXS derailleurs and same deal. I don't recall having this outcome with standard derailleurs.

moorey

call me Mia
Very true! It should also be noted that every mtb rider is a wanker these days, apart from you, as I see you were elevated to a flog the other day in another thread. A late congratulations and well deserved ha ha
Self nominated and identified flog. Flog and wanker aren’t mutually exclusive though.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I haven’t ridden the AXS. What’s it like compared to a high end mechanical shift like X01 / XT?
AS @kten says, AXS really wins over with durability. I've smeared mine into hard ground enough to total the hanger and the derailleur was fine. Shifting is superior to mechanical XX1/X01 (not that there's anything wrong with the latter at all, AXS is just better).

For $670 delivered do it barcardi n cola do it do it
Flog and wanker aren’t mutually exclusive though.
Stop profiling me.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
AS @kten says, AXS really wins over with durability. I've smeared mine into hard ground enough to total the hanger and the derailleur was fine. Shifting is superior to mechanical XX1/X01 (not that there's anything wrong with the latter at all, AXS is just better).

For $670 delivered do it barcardi n cola do it do it

Stop profiling me.
I'm just wondering with the GX ASX if it's possible to adjust it to work on 10 or 11 speed cassettes with the fine adjust feature? The cassettes are all the same width it's the distance between the individual cogs that's different, is there enough in the fine adjust feature to make it work?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm just wondering with the GX ASX if it's possible to adjust it to work on 10 or 11 speed cassettes with the fine adjust feature? The cassettes are all the same width it's the distance between the individual cogs that's different, is there enough in the fine adjust feature to make it work?
The (now defunct) Bike Mag did some faffing / tests between AXS and Shimano mechanical stuff - both using Di2 with Sram 11 speed and more recently using AXS derailleurs on XTR stuff with no apparent ill effects. Not sure about 11/12 speed compatibility but might be worth a hambo?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you familiar with the You Tube channel LoveMTB? He has done many videos on mixing and matching Sram and Shimano, using different speed shifters with the cassettes, etc. On this one,
, he uses GX AXS with a 12 speed Shimano. Worth looking at.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i know the archer trail stuff can do this, d1x can shift 11 or 12 spd with 10 rear derailleur cassette would b interesting, id like to run blip shifters on a gravel bike with gx axs rear, but i need a master shifter to setup first

i know one of the gravel guys was doing a shifter hack to get 11 spd axs shifters to work with 12spd gx axs. sram did have a firmware update With firmware version 2.29.to run new axs with older 11 speed derailleurs..so wou,d presume they work with 11 speed cassete....which deraillleur do you have?

these got did lots of tests but not specifialy old 11 cassette, most combo worked though https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility/

Litenbror

Eats Squid
i know the archer trail stuff can do this, d1x can shift 11 or 12 spd with 10 rear derailleur cassette would b interesting, id like to run blip shifters on a gravel bike with gx axs rear, but i need a master shifter to setup first

i know one of the gravel guys was doing a shifter hack to get 11 spd axs shifters to work with 12spd gx axs. sram did have a firmware update With firmware version 2.29.to run new axs with older 11 speed derailleurs..so wou,d presume they work with 11 speed cassete....which deraillleur do you have?

these got did lots of tests but not specifialy old 11 cassette, most combo worked though https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility/
I'm looking at the 12 speed GX ASX and I'm running Shimano 10 speed on the bike at the moment. Maybe a bit more research to see if there is anything lurking on YouTube or mtbr forum of people trying this abomination.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm looking at the 12 speed GX ASX and I'm running Shimano 10 speed on the bike at the moment. Maybe a bit more research to see if there is anything lurking on YouTube or mtbr forum of people trying this abomination.
ive read nothing to suggest it works with shim 10 spd, 11