Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Haha. There might be a way out but I'm not sure.

Going by the wheel placard, the tyre size is 205/65/15. Some research suggests a VP Calais wheel is 28p. My current wheels and tyres are a 16x8 30p and 225/50/16. They came from factory too. I think Holden/HSV had no idea what they were doing regarding wheel fitment around the VP IRS period.

So compared to the 205/65/15 originals, a 245/35/19 tyre will fit and satisfy the QLD rules regarding rolling diameter and width.

To get the wheel and tyre to fit, I need to have something like a 35p offset to pull the wheels in to avoid fouling the outer guards. This might reduce the track width a little which isn't allowable.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes to above... lots were fitting hsv rears to ss etc commodes making them technically illegal due to track reduction and lower load rating if used on utes. If 205/65 is the correct dia then your existing wheels are (nominally) outside the -15mm allowed anyway. Pretty sure I was running 225/60 16 on the clubbie. Look at 235/40 18 instead. Dia is pretty much spot on and load rating will be no issue. Probably fit at P28.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yep I'm pretty sure that the wheels on it now have reduced the track width, and they were hsv optioned wheels from factory. Also the tyres have a slightly smaller diameter as well compared to the tyre placard, which prob accounts for my speedo reading a little slow.

I'm looking into the 18's, but then again, if the track width was altered at factory, the chances of someone checking it in the event of an accident of claim is slim. Main things they would look at is the tyre size and load rating.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am not sure hsv enhanced ever went near the hsv factory, more a dealer fit thing but I can ask??

HSV made a few nice 18s but not sure of offset.

Edit: offsets way wrong. Seems very few wheels in 5x120 and P28. Oz Leggera in 18x8.5 P29. Would run up to 255 tyre and a sexy beast of a wheel (I have these in a different as street wheels so bias intended).

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Mine has the sv suspension kit, sv body kit, family wheels (sv5000) and 180kw engine pack. Prob not a dealer upgrade. There’s about a month difference between the Holden and hsv build plates.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely. Plenty of them available. It was more a romantic keep the holden block idea.
If you want a Holden V8 built, speak to Tony Knight in Adelaide. He's forgotten more about Holden V8s than all of the internet experts combined and is very reasonably priced for a real engine builder. He's done a few race engines for me (not Holden V8s) and I've seen quite a few of his 308/355 combinations make good numbers and trap the corresponding mph (unlike internet HP).
He does mild stuff too if you just want a street motor and probably has one there, last time I checked it was a six month wait though

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
If you want a Holden V8 built, speak to Tony Knight in Adelaide. He's forgotten more about Holden V8s than all of the internet experts combined and is very reasonably priced for a real engine builder. He's done a few race engines for me (not Holden V8s) and I've seen quite a few of his 308/355 combinations make good numbers and trap the corresponding mph (unlike internet HP).
He does mild stuff too if you just want a street motor and probably has one there, last time I checked it was a six month wait though
Cheers. Mrs George and I were talking about life other day and with all things I'm doing to keep money coming in the door pretty much any outside interest of mine has a ten year wait, including riding my bike at the moment. But I do appreciate the tip.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So I’ve just had Valeo confirm their listing for their dual mass flywheels for the Megane has an error, and I actually have a diesel flywheel. It’s about 4kg heavier than the petrol which would explain the idle problem - ECU can’t calculate the load properly.

It might even have a slightly different target wheel for the CAS…

Looks like I’ll be supplied a new correct flywheel, hopefully I can hit them up for the cost of having someone else fit it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So I’ve just had Valeo confirm their listing for their dual mass flywheels for the Megane has an error, and I actually have a diesel flywheel. It’s about 4kg heavier than the petrol which would explain the idle problem - ECU can’t calculate the load properly.

It might even have a slightly different target wheel for the CAS…

Looks like I’ll be supplied a new correct flywheel, hopefully I can hit them up for the cost of having someone else fit it.
You didn't compare it with the old one?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You didn't compare it with the old one?
Different brand - the Valeo flywheels look very different to the factory fitted LUK unit.

And no I didn’t think to compare weights! They’re both bloody heavy :)

Valeo isn’t exactly a dodgy or small company! Didn’t think to doubt their listings until I jsut happened to notice they only list the petrol sedan model for this one and the identical engine/trans fitted to the hatch and estate versions had a different flywheel part number - so I queried it with Valeo and they went away and discovered their listing was wrong.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Different brand - the Valeo flywheels look very different to the factory fitted LUK unit.

And no I didn’t think to compare weights! They’re both bloody heavy :)

Valeo isn’t exactly a dodgy or small company! Didn’t think to doubt their listings until I jsut happened to notice they only list the petrol sedan model for this one and the identical engine/trans fitted to the hatch and estate versions had a different flywheel part number - so I queried it with Valeo and they went away and discovered their listing was wrong.

View attachment 389006View attachment 389007
The reluctor wheels will be different and all, give the wrong wave pattern on the oscilloscope, it should stand out like dogs nuts.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The reluctor wheels will be different and all, give the wrong wave pattern on the oscilloscope, it should stand out like dogs nuts.
I actually had the CAS signal scoped, waveform looked good. Maybe the timing is ever so slightly different though. Who knows… When I get the new one and the old out, maybe I’ll be able to compare and see if there is a tooth count difference or something.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I actually had the CAS signal scoped, waveform looked good. Maybe the timing is ever so slightly different though. Who knows… When I get the new one and the old out, maybe I’ll be able to compare and see if there is a tooth count difference or something.
ECU would chuck a wobbly if it was seeing 56 crank pulses per revolution to every 8 on the camshaft (or whatever our French friends designed) instead of the petrol cranks 64 pulses. That should pop a crank or camshaft sensor error code.

Maybe the 1400cc engine doesn’t want to idle the extra mass?

Thinks get pretty wild when you depart the norm. I had a Toyota Camry with a spun bearing in a 5S-FE 2.2L apart. ONE spun (actually gone gone, like wtf, not even the backing plate left) rod bearing. Thing couldn’t move itself up an incline with full throttle.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
ECU would chuck a wobbly if it was seeing 56 crank pulses per revolution to every 8 on the camshaft (or whatever our French friends designed) instead of the petrol cranks 64 pulses. That should pop a crank or camshaft sensor error code.

Maybe the 1400cc engine doesn’t want to idle the extra mass?

Thinks get pretty wild when you depart the norm. I had a Toyota Camry with a spun bearing in a 5S-FE 2.2L apart. ONE spun (actually gone gone, like wtf, not even the backing plate left) rod bearing. Thing couldn’t move itself up an incline with full throttle.
Or maybe the timing is slightly different. Dunno.

Lots of instances of people fitting light weight flywheels and ECU not being able to idle properly. Thinking the small extra mass might be at play.

Another one that came up as a maybe was the cruise control cutout switch on the clutch pedal! Apparently sometimes there are different MAP for clutch in and clutch out and some cars have odd behaviour like hanging revs when the switch is wonky. Wired. But my cruise does cancel properly on pressing the clutch…

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Or maybe the timing is slightly different. Dunno.

Lots of instances of people fitting light weight flywheels and ECU not being able to idle properly. Thinking the small extra mass might be at play.

Another one that came up as a maybe was the cruise control cutout switch on the clutch pedal! Apparently sometimes there are different MAP for clutch in and clutch out and some cars have odd behaviour like hanging revs when the switch is wonky. Wired. But my cruise does cancel properly on pressing the clutch…
Gearbox out, engine running with your lovely wife on the throttle, angle grinder to the flywheel. Please get video

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think i worked out why the new input shaft seal on the gearbox is leaking. I couldn't get the seal in a hurry for the Renault/Nissan gearbox, but discovered a Honda seal is the same dimensions and was in stock and cheap.

But of course the Honda engines run backwards... So the diagonal ridges on the seal lip that pull oil back from the seal are pushing out of the seal... Doh.