The 36er thread.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ideal bike for the ultra races or long distance touring, imo.
If the aim is to get the wheel sup to speed and keep churning out miles, this will surely be the way to go.

The Mawson trail is ready and waiting for you @ozzybmx
Top 400km of the Mawson in 13 days time, 16th May there's 3 of us cruising it over 4 days.

Celebratory beers every night then double celebrations when we make it back to Melrose.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Absolutely none.
. I like different bikes and worst case scenario with these, if its shit on the trail, it can be drop barred and will probably make a decent gravel bike.
when i grab the penny farthing for sale in castlemaine ill bring to radelaide so u can take for a spin down the glenelg beach

ozzybmx

It doesn't matter, but the numbers don't relate to the sizes directly, it's the bike industry standard of having no standard. I wonder what the actual BSD is of all the sizes, that's almost always in millimetres
Really ? They relate pretty closely.

Depending on the tyre size as a 5" fatbike tyre on a 26" rim measures 31.5", they are measured on an average as name given to them does not mean they measure that size exactly, a 29 x 2.0" tyre is a lot smaller in height than in 29 x 2.6"

The BSD of a 36 is 787mm, the BSD of 29 is 622mm so 165mm bigger in BSD, or a bees dick short of 7" (10mm)

PJO

in me vL comy
It doesn't matter, but the numbers don't relate to the sizes directly, it's the bike industry standard of having no standard. I wonder what the actual BSD is of all the sizes, that's almost always in millimetres
The BSD of a 36 is 787mm, the BSD of 29 is 622mm so 165mm bigger in BSD, or a bees dick short of 7" (10mm)
26" = 559mm
650B/27.5 = 584mm (1" bigger in diameter than 26", not 1.5")
29" = 622 (1.5" bigger than 650B)

ozzybmx

when i grab the penny farthing for sale in castlemaine ill bring to radelaide so u can take for a spin down the glenelg beach
Listen to you's lot of wagon wheeler hecklers.

I heard the same bleating 14yrs ago when I bought a 29er. Oiiii wagon wheeler boy ! 29 was a fad, doesn't turn, doesn't jump, cant have more than 100mm of suspension, doesn't do anything... 26" is king. 26 is now gone and 29 is winning DH races on 200mm bikes.

Open your minds, its something new and its either a flash in the pan or it may evolve into something else.

Do you's really think the industry has settled on 27.5 and 29 wheel sizes for the rest of your lives :p:D:eek:

ozzybmx

26" = 559mm
650B/27.5 = 584mm (1" bigger in diameter than 26", not 1.5")
29" = 622 (1.5" bigger than 650B)
I did all the numbers before posting ;)

Unlike old mate who posted that I was wrong and didn't look at the numbers first.

As I said, the name given to a wheel size is a loose term as the tyre size dictates the actual height.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They are never going to be a gravity bike or possibly even have any suspension due to design limitations with the massive wheels but will probably go quite well on smoother singletrack and gravel/touring applications.
Solving toe overlap with steering will be an interesting challenge on smaller frames... ;)

I'd be keen to have a go on one though. Couldn't be any more shit to ride than the cargo bike I had a go on once.

ozzybmx

Solving toe overlap with steering will be an interesting challenge on smaller frames... ;)

I'd be keen to have a go on one though. Couldn't be any more shit to ride than the cargo bike I had a go on once.
I read that toe-overlap was also an issue on the first 29" bikes, sorted by lengthening frames but in these days of slacker HA's it shouldn't be too hard.

PJO

in me vL comy
I read that toe-overlap was also an issue on the first 29" bikes, sorted by lengthening frames but in these days of slacker HA's it shouldn't be too hard.
Yeah, why are all the 36ers with such steep head angles?
Wonder if they get too much wheel flop when the HA is slackened out.

PJO

in me vL comy
They look proportionally alright for big units:

But then some of them look like shit:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thats a big bee if it has a 10mm dick
no having seen ai bee's, when you expose the bee penis it is pretty long, body proportion its much longer than human, closer to a whale length [in prop of body size], bee dick also sort of ruptures to go inside the queen, hence quite long