TAS Found: 216x63 tunable piggyback shock

Lucaw

Next in line
NIce try. I'm open about being on the spectrum. What's your excuse? ;)

Dictionary should define venerable as 'Moorey', btw.
The guy used the wrong words evidently. He still gave me some good info about the setup of a dhx

moorey

call me Mia
Either way, he said it was more worthwhile to replace that to send it off for a service
Of course a modern shock has benefits. But you won’t buy new, so you’ll likely buy someone else’s problems.

Last edited:

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Either way, he said it was more worthwhile to replace that to send it off for a service
There is a difference between brand new from a shop vs second hand "newer" that has god knows what issues...

Speak with Silk, the people I've spoken with reckon he is the best with suspension around Hobart.

Lucaw

Next in line
There is a difference between brand new from a shop vs second hand "newer" that has god knows what issues...

Speak with Silk, the people I've spoken with reckon he is the best with suspension around Hobart.
They wouldn’t be open Good Friday though
I’ll ring them when they are next open.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
thats the newer version that apparently has less issues than the ones i've had. @link1896 knows things about these, maybe he can shed some light?

$250 is pretty good if it doesn't need a service. but a service is about $250 so you're taking a gamble at a $500 shock if its not what he says it is
I'd probably buy it at that money if i was in need

moorey

call me Mia
$250 is pretty good if it doesn't need a service. but a service is about $250 so you're taking a gamble at a $500 shock if its not what he says it is
As above. They also need more regularly servicing than most and very few places can do them. Great shock though, particularly for lighter riders. Anecdotally, riders over 80kg had more issues, but might have been more with the older internals.
6 months use on a 3yo shock could be weasel words though. Did he buy new or used. Not clear.

Lucaw

Next in line
Hmm.
It looks like the air can is pretty difficult to remove, so putting a 10mm Space in there might be an issue

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hmm.
It looks like the air can is pretty difficult to remove, so putting a 10mm Space in there might be an issue
Not sure if the design has changed but I had one a couple of years back that looked like that (black stanchion) and was easy enough to get into the air can. I think it’s just a circlip holding it in place.

Lucaw

Next in line
As above. They also need more regularly servicing than most and very few places can do them. Great shock though, particularly for lighter riders. Anecdotally, riders over 80kg had more issues, but might have been more with the older internals.
6 months use on a 3yo shock could be weasel words though. Did he buy new or used. Not clear.
He said he bought it new

moorey

call me Mia
He said he bought it new
If he says he used it for 6 months, I’d bank on it being a bit more than that.
You do you, I’d just hate to see another thread about buying something trashed. There’s been a few.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Cane creek are a challenge, spare parts are not available to the public, you need to purchase the right to become a authorised repair agent, 10K last time I enquired.

They are lovely, adjustable shocks. But being unable to service yourself is silly. And they are delicate, they really aren’t up to the rigours of proper MTB usage.

I’d be checking out Manitou, SR Suntour, and DVO offerings. All three have some surprisingly good shocks.

Lucaw

Next in line
Cane creek are a challenge, spare parts are not available to the public, you need to purchase the right to become a authorised repair agent, 10K last time I enquired.

They are lovely, adjustable shocks. But being unable to service yourself is silly. And they are delicate, they really aren’t up to the rigours of proper MTB usage.

I’d be checking out Manitou, SR Suntour, and DVO offerings. All three have some surprisingly good shocks.
Thank you link, but I already bought it before I discovered I can’t put a spacer in it. I’m going to have to try and sell/swap it and get a better serviceable shock
What shocks do recommend from those brands?

Lucaw

Next in line
Bump. The dhx is dead, and I’d like too ride the craftworks again. Piggy back Air shock preferred, but will consider an inline shock