Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Time to upgrade to one of these bad boys.
Fits some wine, a baguette, and a roadie.

Or there's the economic electric car, quite the bargain
Might park it until I can get a Clio Sport 3 engine for it. A handy 190 NA horses in a super revvy tune.
I’m over turbos, but some more pep would be nice. I still want to keep the rough and anonymous body of the very used sedan though :) With the ratty steel wheels.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Time to upgrade to one of these bad boys.
Fits some wine, a baguette, and a roadie.

Or there's the economic electric car, quite the bargain
Tesla model s motors kits are down to 12k usd.
400kw. Opens up so many possibilities. Aus has made conversion compliance pretty bloody easy.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Oh well. Maybe it is the flywheel, which is fine because the gearbox has to come out anyway - input shaft seal is leaking. The seal that Nissan engineers decided to put on the inside of the bell housing and it took me a whole solid day to split and strip the gearbox to replace it... Fuckign stooped japanese engineering...

Oh well. The rego expires the day after it gets to tassie - its a sign. I'll either fix it or part it out later.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Oh well. Maybe it is the flywheel, which is fine because the gearbox has to come out anyway - input shaft seal is leaking. The seal that Nissan engineers decided to put on the inside of the bell housing and it took me a whole solid day to split and strip the gearbox to replace it... Fuckign stooped japanese engineering...

Oh well. The rego expires the day after it gets to tassie - its a sign. I'll either fix it or part it out later.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I'm trying to tidy up my vp hsv enhanced calais.

Parts are drug money these days (for example some flog was trying to sell a hsv boot badge for $400, there is a set of used vn/vp specific moulded mud flaps on ebay for $495, a set of clapped out front hsv seats for $3k+, switch blocks for $1k etc). Mechanically the car is good, it needs a few cosmetic items (front end resprayed, momo steering wheel restored, wheels refurbished, chrome striping) to be mint.

I just spent $150 for set of new old stock wheel nut caps, not the wheel nuts themselves, because some flog recently stole a couple of mine when I ducked into the shops for 30 mins on the once every four month occasion I drive the car. Last year, a set of new old stock power window switches cost me $250 or thereabouts.

It doesn't need much work, but the process of searching for parts is fucked. After you get over the prices (I reckon it would be cheaper working on euros), then its the people you have to deal with for said parts. People seem to forget these cars were shit when new, and they don't get any better with age!

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Parts are drug money these days (for example some flog was trying to sell a hsv boot badge for $400, there is a set of used vn/vp specific moulded mud flaps on ebay for $495, a set of clapped out front hsv seats for $3k+, switch blocks for $1k etc). Mechanically the car is good, it needs a few cosmetic items (front end resprayed, momo steering wheel restored, wheels refurbished, chrome striping) to be mint.

I just spent $150 for set of new old stock wheel nut caps, not the wheel nuts themselves, because some flog recently stole a couple of mine when I ducked into the shops for 30 mins on the once every four month occasion I drive the car. Last year, a set of new old stock power window switches cost me $250 or thereabouts.

It doesn't need much work, but the process of searching for parts is fucked. After you get over the prices (I reckon it would be cheaper working on euros), then its the people you have to deal with for said parts. People seem to forget these cars were shit when new, and they don't get any better with age!
Was having that conversation with a bloke who took my BBQ, turned up in a very battered VP Ute. For something was so ubiquitous back in the day In surprised parts are so hard to find!

MasterOfReality

After forever
Was having that conversation with a bloke who took my BBQ, turned up in a very battered VP Ute. For something was so ubiquitous back in the day In surprised parts are so hard to find!
Yeh I think its verging on the point of ridiculous. Ages ago I spent over 12 months searching for the correct roof lining material. A lot of this stuff was being held by upholsters in Victoria. I reckon I must have rung every shop down there. Finally found one shop that had 3 metres of the factory material left. Snapped that up! Got bent over of course price wise.

I want to get my factory wheels refurbished and get a second set to put on the car in the mean time. Because my car has IRS its a weird offset. There was a set of VP GTS wheels with the correct offset on Ebay, $3200 + postage for the bare wheels. Rang Simmons wheels (which really is Tempe Tyres) as an alternative because I like the look of the FR19's and they had no idea regarding fitment. I'm like come on, there are cars out there with these wheels, surely you know, but nope.

Its frustrating.

My car:

What I was after and Tempe couldn't tell me what fitted:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Made in Germany to French-Italian specifications!

But seriously, that’s shocking.
More like made in China to a cheap as possible spec and a “Germany” label thrown on… I’m not surprised it’s leaking - quality of the chrome on the shaft was not very inspiring….

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
More like made in China to a cheap as possible spec and a “Germany” label thrown on… I’m not surprised it’s leaking - quality of the chrome on the shaft was not very inspiring….
Can’t say it’s “Assembled in _” if you don’t add the sticker on!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

You're fighting against the Bogan Retirement System. I'm really not looking forward to finding anything with a Holden part number. Back in the day, the grand plan was to buy a VR 5L wreck and transplant the drivetrian and necessary supporting pieces into a HZ. I am too scared to look at the prices now.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You're fighting against the Bogan Retirement System. I'm really not looking forward to finding anything with a Holden part number. Back in the day, the grand plan was to buy a VR 5L wreck and transplant the drivetrian and necessary supporting pieces into a HZ. I am too scared to look at the prices now.
Are LS1 / LS2 crate engines still an option?