All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Rims arrived.
Spec weight was 315g +/-5g. So these are clearly -5.
ERD was spot on (opposite Spoke measurement method)
Drillings were all clean with no burrs or daggy bits.
Bead walls are consistently 3mm as per spec.

I'll build em next week.

AU $418.94 5%OFF | [CBA29XC33SL] Asymmetric 315g 33mm Width 25mm depth 29er Carbon rim Mountain Bike wheel Tubeless XC 29er carbon mtb rims

Litenbror

Eats Squid
View attachment 388041

View attachment 388042

View attachment 388044

View attachment 388045

View attachment 388046
Rims arrived.

I'll build em next week.

AU $418.94 5%OFF | [CBA29XC33SL] Asymmetric 315g 33mm Width 25mm depth 29er Carbon rim Mountain Bike wheel Tubeless XC 29er carbon mtb rims
+/- 15g so yours are well within spec.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
View attachment 388041

View attachment 388042

View attachment 388044

View attachment 388045

View attachment 388046
Rims arrived.

I'll build em next week.

Was there additional freight charges, or is it just incorporated into the price of the item?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 388041

View attachment 388042

View attachment 388044

View attachment 388045

View attachment 388046
Rims arrived.

I'll build em next week.

That seems pricey for Ali rims. $418 for 2x or just 1?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pair.
I didn't go for the cheapest possible.
I was specifically looking for this rim profile and 3mm bead walls rather than 2.5mm
Ahh. That seems a decent price then. I was already tentatively looking into getting some of the Beam rims (a bit heavier duty though), curious to see how yours go.

I recently discussed the wheels with the factory in China and I was able to get the OEM product in black ink and E13 with a two-year
factory warranty against non-human damage.

I don't recommend buying carbon fibre products on aliexpress, because, in Guangzhou and Xiamen, there are many factories, but the big brands of OEMs on a few factories, the others are either traders or home factories, the quality can not be guaranteed. Just like the above buddy bought the BEAM brand, there is no information in China. I am not saying that his quality is not good, but I want to say that the quality of carbon fibre products varies greatly, try to buy the products that we have used or the products of the brand foundry. Kindly remind, personal advice only. Thank you all

Minlak

custom titis
I don't recommend buying carbon fibre products on aliexpress, because, in Guangzhou and Xiamen, there are many factories, but the big brands of OEMs on a few factories, the others are either traders or home factories, the quality can not be guaranteed. Just like the above buddy bought the BEAM brand, there is no information in China. I am not saying that his quality is not good, but I want to say that the quality of carbon fibre products varies greatly, try to buy the products that we have used or the products of the brand foundry. Kindly remind, personal advice only. Thank you all
Carbon fibre on Ali Express is a shit show - I would not use it on any critical component - You just have see the wildly fluctuating prices for it on Ali Express itself - I needed a non load bearing part and it is $250 normally - $110 on most of AliExpress and found it for $50 from one seller - Bet that one seller isn't selling the same products :)

moorey

call me Mia
Carbon fibre on Ali Express is a shit show - I would not use it on any critical component - You just have see the wildly fluctuating prices for it on Ali Express itself - I needed a non load bearing part and it is $250 normally - $110 on most of AliExpress and found it for $50 from one seller - Bet that one seller isn't selling the same products :)
I’m not a fan of carbon rims as it is.
Ali carbon rims…hard pass.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
First night trail ride at the You Yangs with the rockbros lights.

Pretty impressed with them. Lasted for the 1.5hrs or so that I was out, even after leaving the 800lm one on high during a climb, which did drain the battery a bit.

Descending they were great on their highest setting.

The 800lm is an older model I believe and if I was to buy again I would just get 2 of the V9M-1000's instead. I think it was only another $10.
Bought a 3rd "self-contained" bike light just recently as the 800lm one I have is a little under done on the trails (or maybe it's my eyes that are underdone o_O). This one definitely compliments the V9M1000 light that I use on my helmet.

Gaciron V9SP-1260

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Carbon fibre on Ali Express is a shit show - I would not use it on any critical component
Happy to be Guinea Pig

Unless something is amiss, a carbon fibre rim won't cause a catastrophic failure.

So far, these rims have tensioned up beautifully evenly (>10% variance) with no deformations.
This indicates consistent layup.
They were easier to vertically true than "known brand" rims and feel much more robust under tension than name brand carbon or alloy rims (Namely - Xentis, AX Lightness, Tune, Curve - 2 variants of, Stans, Light Bicycle).

Attachments

Last edited: