My wax based lube recipe

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
But what about the sinter as the bushings break down? If that sticks around you essentially have the same problem. If the contaminated lubricant around the bushings doesn't get flushed out somehow then you're no better off.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
You are correct, and if I had an answer I reckon I would still have been using the original drive train from 4 years ago. I will argue that waxing isn't any more or less effective at removing sinter from deep inside than squirt lubes are considering the tolerances involved.

At approximately 250km on MTB and 400km road, the chain will start to get noisy and need a rewax. Which consists of pouring or rinsing the chain in boiling water, then also during the rewax as the chain is 'swished' around in ~80-100°C melted wax, dirt and metallic pieces may be released and displaced from around the pins and bushes.
I tried the boiling water once and it was a pain in the arse. Plus I couldn't guarantee that inside the links were free of water which wouldn't let the wax get on so I didn't bother again.

I have a basket in my wax pot to let all the crap sink to the bottom but not have the chains sit in it. Then when it's solidified I rip it out the pot and scrape off the bottom layer.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I tried the boiling water once and it was a pain in the arse. Plus I couldn't guarantee that inside links were free off water which wouldn't let the wax get on so I didn't bother again.
AK doest seem to rinse with boiling water either, just let's the crap come off with the rewax.

It needs to sit overnight to dry, which is why some probably omit the boiling water step.

Could probably hit it with a heatgun to get rid of moisture around pins and plates ?

I might try it first couple of times just to see.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
At approximately 250km on MTB and 400km road, the chain will start to get noisy and need a rewax. Which consists of pouring or rinsing the chain in boiling water, then also during the rewax as the chain is 'swished' around in ~80-100°C melted wax, dirt and metallic pieces may be released and displaced from around the pins and bushes.
Drip on lubes I've mentioned to you previously last for.... a theoretical 1130km (28:53:49 @303w) on my stationary trainer and 253km (12:23:32 @269w) on real world MTB rides (mixed surface/weather, one repeat of the test included creek crossings)

While I get waxing works for absolute efficiency in a TT or track setting and gives potential wear minimisation, the claims on longevity aren't out of this world great.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
You are correct, and if I had an answer I reckon I would still have been using the original drive train from 4 years ago. I will argue that waxing isn't any more or less effective at removing sinter from deep inside than squirt lubes are considering the tolerances involved.

I tried the boiling water once and it was a pain in the arse. Plus I couldn't guarantee that inside the links were free of water which wouldn't let the wax get on so I didn't bother again.

I have a basket in my wax pot to let all the crap sink to the bottom but not have the chains sit in it. Then when it's solidified I rip it out the pot and scrape off the bottom layer.
If you heat the wax over 100 you can watch the last of the water bubble out.

Cardy George

Drip on lubes I've mentioned to you previously last for.... a theoretical 1130km (28:53:49 @303w) on my stationary trainer and 460km (12:23:32 @269w) on real world MTB rides (mixed surface/weather, one repeat of the test included creek crossings)

While I get waxing works for absolute efficiency in a TT or track setting and gives potential wear minimisation, the claims on longevity aren't out of this world great.
I'll admit I was expecting more distance out of a waxing when I put my first waxed chain on, but a week works for me.

ozzybmx

Drip on lubes I've mentioned to you previously last for.... a theoretical 1130km (28:53:49 @303w) on my stationary trainer and 460km (12:23:32 @269w) on real world MTB rides (mixed surface/weather, one repeat of the test included creek crossings)

As I said, I have no experience with any of this yet. The quoted 250km and 400km have came from someone else's mouth.

I'll soon let you know if its giving me the shits and I'll be back to dripping lube on.

460km in 12:23 on a MTB :oops:

ozzybmx

Cleaned the 2 x Shimano and 2 x YBN chains, did them two at a time, 3 turps baths and 2 metho then hit them with the heat gun to get the temp up and force drying.

Also added the 100g PTFE powder to the cooking pot, it turned the nice clear wax a cloudy white and it seems a bit claggy now and I did notice after I had done 2 that the chain needs to be tapped sideways or a really good shake to get the wax out from inside the links.

The newly waxed chain on my Spur was getting a little bit noisy after 3 rides (90km) but I only gave it 1 turps and 1 metho bath, probably not cleaned correctly and possibly no wax in there at all.

It will be retired back to the chain drawer to go on one of the boys bikes.

Cardy George

Cleaned the 2 x Shimano and 2 x YBN chains, did them two at a time, 3 turps baths and 2 metho then hit them with the heat gun to get the temp up and force drying.

Also added the 100g PTFE powder to the cooking pot, it turned the nice clear wax a cloudy white and it seems a bit claggy now and I did notice after I had done 2 that the chain needs to be tapped sideways or a really good shake to get the wax out from inside the links.

The newly waxed chain on my Spur was getting a little bit noisy after 3 rides (90km) but I only gave it 1 turps and 1 metho bath, probably not cleaned correctly and possibly no wax in there at all.

It will be retired back to the chain drawer to go on one of the boys bikes.

View attachment 387873
I like the hangers!

And I think I need to invest in a slow cooker.

Cardy George