Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

moorey

call me Mia
What if it's activated water though?

Serious question: why isn't more underground living being explored? Especially here. Natural insulation, cooler, and could make for excellent bushfire resistance if you plumbed in some kind of oxygen / air filtration back up. No?
We briefly explored the idea when we built, but it was hard enough getting council approval for straw bale for at the time, let alone a builder to handle it. Without a registered builder on board, banks would only loan us 80% of our land value. Our land cost sweet FA.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are a few subterranean homes in the Coober Pedy, underground homes would be area specific because of moisture problems.
What if it's activated water though?

Serious question: why isn't more underground living being explored? Especially here. Natural insulation, cooler, and could make for excellent bushfire resistance if you plumbed in some kind of oxygen / air filtration back up. No?

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
This is a great article, we need some bicycle thinking...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Have a look at this, I crossed under a highway bridge today to enter a park and this shit is going straight into the waterway.

View attachment 387170

View attachment 387171
That looks like iron sulphide bacteria to me. It's not great in that it's a sign of poor water quality and poor catchment health but it's not necessarily anything worse than the deep indifference of suburban life ..

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
im starting to think about building a straw bale shack down the bush on my property just as a fun little experiment.

fuck knows if ill ever actually get the motivation to do it but

Flow-Rider

Burner
That looks like iron sulphide bacteria to me. It's not great in that it's a sign of poor water quality and poor catchment health but it's not necessarily anything worse than the deep indifference of suburban life ..
We had a stormwater creek on our property that we used to pump into an irrigation dam years ago, the water went like this in the creek and it killed all the fish in the dam after we had transferred the water, it was lucky that it was the end of the crop season as it killed the plants off also.