Which tyres do you prefer and why

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Since switching to 29" I've been testing a variety of tyre widths and have settled on Conti's in the 2.2" size as offering the best traction in the gravel / sand over hard pack which is pretty much all riding in and around Canberra. The wider versions of my favourite tyres offer less cornering traction than the skinnier 2.2" versions. On 26" the 2.4" versions (especially on the front) are better.

For Canberra conditions, wider is not necessarily better, particularly for 29" wheels. The thing that gives you higher cornering traction is a narrower, longer contact patch that can slice down through the loose top layer and get stuck into the hardpack below. A wider, shorter contact patch is not what you want when there is any sort of loose over hardpack (or mud).

If anyone is running monster truck tyres (or any of that plus size crap) on loose over hardpack, I'd suggest trying something narrower., particularly on the front where you can get away with less PSI. You might be surprised.

Trail King 2.2" front and Mountain King II 2.2" on the rear are working well on the Trance 29er. For bikepacking, I've got X-King 2.2" on the front and Race King 2.2" on the rear (but that's in 26").
How do you think the X-King protection would o on the front on the Trance. I'm thinking about trying one on the front on my Trance with a Vittoria Syerra on the rear.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
My big picture take is that conditions locally in NE Vic vary incredibly from summer to winter.
hence in a normal year small knobs /prickles are good on dust over hardpack clay in summer and mud tyres are great for winter /spring.
Some Maxxis dont seat well so not a fan.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
How do you think the X-King protection would o on the front on the Trance. I'm thinking about trying one on the front on my Trance with a Vittoria Syerra on the rear.
Unless they have changed recently, x-king have a very round profile and low, tightly spaced knobs which IMO make them ok for a fast rear but not great for a front. I reckon you want something with a slightly bulkier edge knob

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've tried the 2.4" Xking on the front of the Trance and it worked well. I think it's now been replaced by the cross king in 2.3". Have not tried one of those. The Trail King is a better front on the Trance for the sort of riding I do on the Trance. I still use the XKing in the front of my bike packing rig. Great traction for the weight and low rolling resistance.

Have also tried an Xking on the rear and it was terrible.