Why you ride

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
To egg on my mates to do dumb shit and be outside their comfort zone. Seeing someone Riding away from a death case or somehow surviving a massive overshoot without dying is the absolute best.
I can't help but wonder how many former friends didn't make it.

Is there some kind of spike pit incorporated into the gap jump for if you don't make it to the lander?

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
To egg on my mates to do dumb shit and be outside their comfort zone.
This is me. I like to get outside my comfort zone by just enough to scare myself.

Not shit yourself scared. Like when you get that maniacal laughter because you just made it out without falling off, or hit a jump just a bit faster than last time.

The best part is it's relative - it's a progression. I get my adrenaline hit from much tamer stuff than some people. But similarly, I'm sure a lot of burners' normal Sunday rides have sections that would scare the bejeesus out of someone who was just getting started.

Also - ride everything.
Bikes are rad (but some are more rad than others).

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Go over this regularly with others, especially other staff at school. They all exclaim at my riding 70 kms a day-summer/winter, etc.
I still can't believe that they justify driving to work solo in a 2.25 tonne SUV from 5-10 kms away!
Why? because it's there is all.
It keeps me fit(ish), it's good for the planet, keeps my mental health in check... with a 2/3rds dirt/ single track commute i have to concentrate on the ride, nothing else.
My own 3 kids love the fact that i ride with them on weekends too. Actually amped to get out most Saturdays even if just to do DJ at city dirt (on my Banshee...i'm still looking for a DJ bike clockworked ). I do need to start doing some car trips to further out riding spots but just spoilt by Adelaide foothills 15 minutes away. Keen to get back to Melrose this year too.
Just replaced my BB, new chain, new chainring and bolts and then noticed the 1/2 inch cut in rear tyre ( held amply by orange seal). Still amped to ride tomorrow though. Better chuck a tube in the bag just in case. I will get to work grinning from ear to ear. The rest of the staff will all be bitching and moaning about 2 dollar a litre petrol. Who's the crazy one?

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I'm nearly 52, have a mid range semi expensive bike which is way above my skill level, but I have met a few mates through riding, all the same as me and we just ride, have fun and talk crap. Stress relief, every Thursday we leave work at 2.30 and just go and have fun and unwind. Pretend we are young again, trying to do jumps and drops.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess I just like bikes and all the different aspects that go along with them. Similar to everyone else.

I like the mechanical aspect of them, tuning, tinkering. Admiring the engineering.
I love the technical aspect of riding them, balance, technique, challenge. Uphill, downhill and features.
I love the fitness aspect, feeling strong and physically challenging myself.
I love the zen feeling of cruising along during a still early morning in the bush by myself, listening to the birds and looking out over nice views.
I love the social aspect getting out with mates or even meeting other riders on the trails. And getting out with my kids.
I love the feeling of accomplishment after pushing myself to complete a big ride.
I love seeing places I can't get to by other means and the feeling of adventure.
And lastly I love the adrenaline of travelling at speed on the bikes, finding grip limits and hitting features.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Some very similar reasons in everyone's responses, which echo my own... Head space, fitness, feeling like a kid doing stupid shit and exploring new places. Those common motivations seem to bring out the best in people which makes for a really good community.

I also find similar enjoyment as a trail fairy too; there's something therapeutic in playing in the dirt, contributing to the upkeep of trails, having opportunity to build new (sanctioned) tracks and then being able to ride them. Sort of the 'full circle' that makes up riding in the bush.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I ride mountain bikes mainly for the buzz and thrill of the speed.

I've always been attracted to things that go fast whether it be go-carts, dirt bikes, sports bikes, modified cars, if it gives you the feeling of speed I'm interested.
There's also the outdoors aspects and being with nature. I'd much rather ride through a lush forest than a bare logging coupe or a city.
One other benefit is fitness, I've never been a great athlete by any definition but I go alright on a bike and can hold my own amongst the average punter.
I got into mountain bikes seriously because when my kids were young, I had no spare time to ride my dirt bike because to load up, drive to the riding location, ride, load back up and then wash and service the bike, was a full day commitment. On my mountain bike, I could just go for a quick ride up some local fire trails for and hour and just put the bike back in the shed and I'm done.
Funny thing is, now that the kids are 17 and 18 and look after themselves I spend more time with mountain bike related activities than I ever did with dirt biking. lol

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Well, I'm going to go against the grain. At 55 yo, after 20 years of mountain biking, I'm just going to come out and say it. I've fallen out of love with mountain biking. Ever since the COVID explosion in mountain bike popularity, I've felt like I'm slowly drifting out of the mtb culture. I liked it when we were kind of a shady, mysterious sub-culture... sort of like a secret society. Back when it was exciting to spot a car on the highway with a mountain bike on the rack. Today..... Too many Rad Dudes and Bros with expensive lifted 4wds and massive 'shuttle racks'. More likely to find me today on some gravel back roads or forest fire roads on a long solo ride. Maybe I've just become a grumpy old bastard.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@FatMuz i feel you .
But dont stress it - go deeper into the forest , there is no 'insta-glory' in a peaceful , no hassle adventure into the bush .

Follow the old abandoned train line , the dirt track ( to no where ) i've done a few of those !

Explore the places the ' Enduro bros' wont ever get to - if only because - " too far , too hard , not rad enuff "

Ride because you want to , where you want to , at a pace that makes you happy .

I will admit , i feel out of the desire to ride over the covidy tyme , but the break has made me appreciate the bush , the simplicity of just ' goin for a ride '
Be the Weirdy Beardy long range bike Packer in a poncho if it gets you on the right track !

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Well, I'm going to go against the grain. At 55 yo, after 20 years of mountain biking, I'm just going to come out and say it. I've fallen out of love with mountain biking. Ever since the COVID explosion in mountain bike popularity, I've felt like I'm slowly drifting out of the mtb culture. I liked it when we were kind of a shady, mysterious sub-culture... sort of like a secret society. Back when it was exciting to spot a car on the highway with a mountain bike on the rack. Today..... Too many Rad Dudes and Bros with expensive lifted 4wds and massive 'shuttle racks'. More likely to find me today on some gravel back roads or forest fire roads on a long solo ride. Maybe I've just become a grumpy old bastard.
I feel much the same way. Built up a steel hardtail which is what I mostly ride nowadays, random trails no one else rides or remote fireroads. Also grumpy and old.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
yeah, u sound old.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is definitely something to this.
My local trails at Silvan used to be very XC orientated and technical due to the terrain. There was plenty of people riding in there but you'd rarely see anyone.

Now you can't go for a ride without seeing at least one rider and at peak times, the top of each descent would have groups of riders.
The trails have changed dramatically to handle the bigger bikes and the new crowd

I'm not against the growth of the sport and not upset that trails change, it's just different and not what it used to be.