Which tyres do you prefer and why

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Searched back 15 pages and couldn't find nuttin! Word me up if I missed a thread.

So I recently offended @moorey's sensitivities (your welcome!) by running an Ardent and High Roller on my trail/AM Hyrax. I've always just gone maxxis out of habit and been of the belief that IU'd get a greater return out of focusing on my abilities than the tyres I run. But, it's been a long time since I've paid close attention to what's new and trendy these days so I figured I'd survey the wisdom of the crowd:

Which tyres do you run, for what type of riding and surfaces, and what makes them your tyre of choice?

For me, I aim for low rolling resistance in the centre and fat lugs on the outside as I like to lay my bike right over on the flatter corners to make the lugs dig in. So an Ardent rear and High Roller front seemed like a decent choice. I do like the super tackies for the loose-over-dry that we get in Canberra, but the price and the speed in which they wear out usually has me going 3C or just the old 62As instead.

What do you run on your bicycle?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There was some good chat in this thread:

jrewing

Eats Squid
i wish 60a maxxpro was more available. Doesn’t squirm rolls much better and wears better. On trails I like exo+ Assegai front and DD minion dhf rear.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've got Goodyear Newtons on both bikes (2.4 on mid-travel bike, 2.6 on big bike)

Pros: Roll fast, sensationally good in dry, dusty, blown out Straya conditions. Strong sidewalls. Transition from grip to slidey feels smooth and predictable.
Cons: The exact opposite in the wet. Slow, squirmy and unhappy. Might go for Schwobbles for Winter this year.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There was some good chat in this thread:
This one is good too;

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
XC focus obviously, but I've run Bontrager XR4 (came with the bike), Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal, Hutchinson Krakens and now on Pirelli Hard Terrain.

I find that I need a tire with even spacing all the way across (Pirelli and Vittoria) because I possibly don't lean over as much as I should in the flat loose over hard corners we have. I rate the Pirellis higher than the Vittorias because they have better edge grip.

And on top of that, whichever tire I do have on I run in pairs because this Old Brain can't process two different tyre characteristics. I find I can corner harder if I know both ends are going to slide in the same place. I'm much more cautious if there's an imbalance.

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t know your terrain and riding plans intimately…but ardent is rarely bike answer.
Hard to go past Maxxis for all round riding. I always race on Michelin WE’s, but they don’t suit every day riding as much. Felix runs them 24/7, but I’m not him.
Hard to go past a DHF with, depending on the conditions, DHR2 (if mixed and wet), dissector (great all round unless muddy, but still fine) or an aggressor if dry and hard pack (many hate them, in the right condition they excel).
‘What tyre’ threads are more fraught with danger than ‘what 27.5 trail frame’ threads. Everyone’s mileage may vary.
I’ve used Maxxis for so many years, I find them completely predictable. That’s my main ‘want’ in a tyre.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After previously swapping around every second week, this is what i've settled on for the last year or so. I've tried most Maxxis tyres in the 2.25 to 2.5 range, some Kendas & Onzas, but after killing them or being not happy with something, landed on the below.

XC/Trail
F: 2.4 DHR-II EXO MaxxTerra
R: 2.4 Rekon EXO Dual Compound

Enduro/shuttles:
F: 2.5 Assegai EXO+ MaxxGrip
R: 2.4 Dissector DD MaxxGrip + Rimpact standard (wish it lasted longer though, will try something else once this is dead. This particular tyre i'm on now is wobbly AF, just can't be bothered getting it replaced)

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
For around Canberra I've found a DHR-ll up front is the best from everything I've tried, then something fast rolling on the rear (usually something on sale). Currently it's a Huchinson Tiapan which is ok and after that it will be a Goodyear Newton. Probably a Maxxis Dissector or aggressor would be good on the rear if you want matching brands.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don’t know your terrain and riding plans intimately…but ardent is rarely bike answer.
Now, now. An Ardent is a great rear tyre if you like something that spins well, lasts forever and lets go predictably.
I wouldn't have the courage to put one on the front though.

I have always liked a big puffy front tyre and fast spinning rear tyre.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Now, now. An Ardent is a great rear tyre if you like something that spins well, lasts forever and lets go predictably.
I wouldn't have the courage to put one on the front though.

I have always liked a big puffy front tyre and fast spinning rear tyre.
By predictable you mean it just let's go when turned slightly right?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Rocky with loose-over-hard is the standard surfaces with AM/trail riding being the style - but that's just for me and this thread should be just a general discussion tyres. The AM tyres thread is good, wish I'd found it before I started this, maybe I'l merge. Hadn't seen Oddjobs thread, yet to read that one too.

I like the DHF-II, but the weight penalty is pretty significant.

Nobody seems to mention High Rollers, why not? I was considering an HR-II 2.5 3C MaxxTerra up front and Ardent/HR-II on the rear.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rocky with loose-over-hard is the standard surfaces with AM/trail riding being the style - but that's just for me and this thread should be just a general discussion tyres. The AM tyres thread is good, wish I'd found it before I started this, maybe I'l merge. Hadn't seen Oddjobs thread, yet to read that one too.

I like the DHF-II, but the weight penalty is pretty significant.

Nobody seems to mention High Rollers, why not? I was considering an HR-II 2.5 3C MaxxTerra up front and Ardent/HR-II on the rear.
I've not tried it myself but dual Dissectors could be an option for you.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I keep changing but really hanging for some Vittoria Mazzas for the big bike and a Martello for the front of the little bike.

Currently on 2 x DHR II maxxgrip after a Wild Enduro failure. Not so fast but lots of grip, tried most Maxxis combos but like the DHRs front and back.