Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

cammas

Seamstress
Actually going to use 2400 x 200 x 50 sleepers - I need about 11 joiners / end pieces all up - Could use these but designed for blocks or the actual wall inserts
View attachment 386066

Should use these but should not do a 2.4m run on them so would have to got to 1.8 sleeper at longest - The advantage to these is I might get away with just hammering them in over digging holes - Would need 1 x corner and 2 x end pieces so if you worked on 11 x 70

View attachment 386067
Try some of the smaller businesses our small sand and soil place is cheaper than the big B especially with the sleepers, you might save a few bob to offset the H beams may get some better quality too.

I used some of them on the garden and they worked fine, grabbed some sleepers from the local joint so grabbed some joiners there similar prices but heavier gauge and a touch longer worked well.

I still used rapid set for each one as well, don’t want any movement even with one sleeper I don’t want to redo it later.

Minlak

custom titis
Try some of the smaller businesses our small sand and soil place is cheaper than the big B especially with the sleepers, you might save a few bob to offset the H beams may get some better quality too.

I used some of them on the garden and they worked fine, grabbed some sleepers from the local joint so grabbed some joiners there similar prices but heavier gauge and a touch longer worked well.

I still used rapid set for each one as well, don’t want any movement even with one sleeper I don’t want to redo it later.
Current plan is to use sleepers for eh posts 600mm in ground 600mm above - Sleeper /post at each end of 2.4m sleeper and 1 in the middle - Concrete the post in with a bag each of rapid set - Will have pretty much enough dirt to back fill whats left from what I have to take away to make the flat and the wall - Happy for it to last 5-10 yrs - the fence with wooden posts lasted 25 yrs

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Current plan is to use sleepers for eh posts 600mm in ground 600mm above - Sleeper /post at each end of 2.4m sleeper and 1 in the middle - Concrete the post in with a bag each of rapid set - Will have pretty much enough dirt to back fill whats left from what I have to take away to make the flat and the wall - Happy for it to last 5-10 yrs - the fence with wooden posts lasted 25 yrs
Drainage will be critical if you are only going 0.6 down. Each post will be supporting 1.5m2, triangle cross section but still a lot of force can be generated. Especially as those dead bodies decompose and the gases will push at the wall.

Minlak

custom titis
Drainage will be critical if you are only going 0.6 down. Each post will be supporting 1.5m2, triangle cross section but still a lot of force can be generated. Especially as those dead bodies decompose and the gases will push at the wall.
Going to run one of those soaker drainage pipe things along the back of it - The filler is all that river gravel shit - could always just drill weep holes too

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
That's a mountain of digging sir. I have a bad case of garage envy though.
Wow, should come up great. You are going to have arms like tree trunks or know well how to use an excavator :D
Cheers Gents, I decided to dig the first bed out by hand to save a little cash, it's only 55m² plus there isn't too much clay to remove in this one and a few services run through it. The next one on my list is all clay so will likely hire a little excavator for that one.

For those playing along at home this is the plan.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheers Gents, I decided to dig the first bed out by hand to save a little cash, it's only 55m² plus there isn't too much clay to remove in this one and a few services run through it.
Arms like tree trunks, big tree trunks :)

If you don't have too much clay then it will be a blessing. We seem to have heap of it starting at about 30cm down.
Sticky when damp and hard as when it is dry.

Jpez

Down on the left!

I use rapid set very rarely. Have zero trust in it. Seen it fail too many times. Unless mixed really well OUTSIDE of the hole it never sets well or thoroughly. I’d much rather mix a barrow load of proper concrete mix and have to support the work for however long it takes.

cammas

Seamstress
I use rapid set very rarely. Have zero trust in it. Seen it fail too many times. Unless mixed really well OUTSIDE of the hole it never sets well or thoroughly. I’d much rather mix a barrow load of proper concrete mix and have to support the work for however long it takes.
For Small jobs it’s been okay, I think when I do the front due to the length, amount of posts and only wanting to do it once using concrete might be a good idea. Last thing I need is to get it all done and notice a post has moved due to something as simple as that, then I would be really pissed.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Looks like one of the 135, 165, 175, 185 family. Maybe ac145 in there too?
Earlier than that...it's a 65. In some good news, the hydraulics worked just fine this morning so I got back into it. As before they went a bit slow as it got warmer so I reckon I'll be adding a transmission oil change to the winter repair list.

Just picked up a working but rusty MF40 loader backhoe too. I must be a punishment glutton but a gift horse can always be eaten if it doesn't work out!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Gents, I decided to dig the first bed out by hand to save a little cash, it's only 55m² plus there isn't too much clay to remove in this one and a few services run through it. The next one on my list is all clay so will likely hire a little excavator for that one.

For those playing along at home this is the plan.
View attachment 386072
I am reading that right and it says BMX track right? Awesome :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Earlier than that...it's a 65. In some good news, the hydraulics worked just fine this morning so I got back into it. As before they went a bit slow as it got warmer so I reckon I'll be adding a transmission oil change to the winter repair list.

Just picked up a working but rusty MF40 loader backhoe too. I must be a punishment glutton but a gift horse can always be eaten if it doesn't work out!
Ahhh round front. I have dropped my fel off pending an overhaul of the hydraulic control valve. Luckily 3pl and fel use separate valves. Prick of a job, maybe 3 days...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Rough calculations if I use gal joiner end posts for the length of wall I need is going to be about $1000 just in the posts compared to $65 in H4 treated sleepers - unless I am looking at the wrong joiners
How many joiners are we talking here?

For reference I uses 1.8 spans which for me was about 9 joiners and two end posts at 1200 long - Thats about $500 all up since I went with 50mm sleepers (not recommended as it will bow, but like i said I tucked foam bricks behind to reduce the load). For the sleeper option you have to add in the expensive timber in ground treatment which is going to be ablout another $100-$200 depending on what you buy, plus fittings and fixings (beams have no joiners). It's still cheaper to go for the sleeper method but it's a bit more work - you dig a bigger rectangle hole. you have to prime the base and let it dry and then you have to fix it.

Minlak

custom titis
How many joiners are we talking here?

For reference I uses 1.8 spans which for me was about 9 joiners and two end posts at 1200 long - Thats about $500 all up since I went with 50mm sleepers (not recommended as it will bow, but like i said I tucked foam bricks behind to reduce the load). For the sleeper option you have to add in the expensive timber in ground treatment which is going to be ablout another $100-$200 depending on what you buy, plus fittings and fixings (beams have no joiners). It's still cheaper to go for the sleeper method but it's a bit more work - you dig a bigger rectangle hole. you have to prime the base and let it dry and then you have to fix it.
The sleepers are H4 treated already the posts will be at 1.2m spans otherwise I need to replace about 20 sleepers I already have here I am re-purposing it’s is only a 600mm wall and cutting into an existing already hard packed mound so no back filling really needed