Whisky!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
nah i dont think so. Ive had some wild flavours hit me before that would sound like complete BS, but how one perceives them is exactly why whiskey is so good, it can be transportative (if that's even a word). Fisherman's friend lozenge is quite a common note, as is burnt grass, both especially in in peated stuff. When you taste it, its unmistakable. Some peated stuff can be descriptors like medicinal, sea spray, industrial smoke, oily etc and in amongst those you will find the fisherman's friend.

The SMWS releases experimental releases and other small batch bottles from various distilleries which they semi obfuscate the origin of. They rely on interesting names from their tasting notes to get your attention. ie "glamping in the pines" or "smoked cod and parma ham", the latter of which i have had, and fuck me, the notes of smoked fish and prosciutto were 100% there. unmistakable. If you like whiskey, i highly recommend checking them out, they are worth the coin.

I think a lot of tasting notes can be subjective, but you can tell the regular drinker from the novice immediately. Avoid notes that include descriptors such as "smooth" lol

Fave whiskey at the moment is Ardbeg Correyvrekan (NAS).
and the one i always have a bottle of is caol ila 12 - this is such an underrated drop for the price if you like stuff from Islay. Anything from Caol Ila is good, but the price ramps exponentially from the 12, so not always in the budget.
I feel like a big girls blouse in comparison. Currently rocking a Dimple 15 like a proper old man. And a doing the pepsi challenge on the Glenlivet 12, distillers reserve, 15 and 18.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I feel like a big girls blouse in comparison. Currently rocking a Dimple 15 like a proper old man. And a doing the pepsi challenge on the Glenlivet 12, distillers reserve, 15 and 18.

Is that where you mix one of each in a big bottle, add Pepsi, add mentos, then am your mouth over the opening?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I've had both of those @Squidfayce. Talk about smooth drinks...

The ardberg is awesome. The caol ila didn't get me too excited.

Best review:
It tastes like whisky.

It's accurate and why I don't serve him the good stuff.
i love the Caol Ila because it averages around 100 bucks a bottle and can often be picked up for 60-70 bucks on sales. It is massive Islay character without the pricetag of some of the others in this space.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

i think the glenlivets represent great value. Good place to start the collection :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
i love the Caol Ila because it averages around 100 bucks a bottle and can often be picked up for 60-70 bucks on sales. It is massive Islay character without the pricetag of some of the others in this space.
I insist that everyone has the exact same tastes, preferences, and price point as me. There is no room for variance. Comply damn it!

Make variety obsolete.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I insist that everyone has the exact same tastes, preferences, and price point as me. There is no room for variance. Comply damn it!
Oh, alright...Since you put it that way and we aim to please.
Johnny Red all round - stop complaining you bunch of whisky snobs or I'll bring out the 100 Pipers and no one will be happy, ever.

Got your back @pink poodle

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is that where you mix one of each in a big bottle, add Pepsi, add mentos, then am your mouth over the opening?
That's definitely a challenge.

More comparing the flavours of the different varients. The 18 is stellar and there's not much that is better, the others are not as good but are pretty much the best of their categories.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's definitely a challenge.

More comparing the flavours of the different varients. The 18 is stellar and there's not much that is better, the others are not as good but are pretty much the best of their categories.

I'm all on for the Glenfarclas when it comes to the Speyside. But have also found in there range the peak comes at 15 years with diminishing returns in flavour for the increased price.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
nah i dont think so. Ive had some wild flavours hit me before that would sound like complete BS, but how one perceives them is exactly why whiskey is so good, it can be transportative (if that's even a word). Fisherman's friend lozenge is quite a common note, as is burnt grass, both especially in in peated stuff. When you taste it, its unmistakable. Some peated stuff can be descriptors like medicinal, sea spray, industrial smoke, oily etc and in amongst those you will find the fisherman's friend.

The SMWS releases experimental releases and other small batch bottles from various distilleries which they semi obfuscate the origin of. They rely on interesting names from their tasting notes to get your attention. ie "glamping in the pines" or "smoked cod and parma ham", the latter of which i have had, and fuck me, the notes of smoked fish and prosciutto were 100% there. unmistakable. If you like whiskey, i highly recommend checking them out, they are worth the coin.
SMWS tasting notes are a hoot. I once had an 82% bottle of Rum from them that they swore when mixed with coke and a slice of lime, tasted like mint bullseyes and I've got to say, they weren't wrong!

Sadly it was getting a bit too expensive a habit ordering from them so I gave up my membership a few years ago however Whisky and Alement on Russell Street in Melbourne carry all their bottlings so it's a regular stop for me whenever I'm in the city.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm all on for the Glenfarclas when it comes to the Speyside. But have also found in there range the peak comes at 15 years with diminishing returns in flavour for the increased price.
100% agree. Have tried their 35 year old family release at the local whiskey bar and it was just "ok". Their younger stuff, excellent

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
SMWS tasting notes are a hoot. I once had an 82% bottle of Rum from them that they swore when mixed with coke and a slice of lime, tasted like mint bullseyes and I've got to say, they weren't wrong!

Sadly it was getting a bit too expensive a habit ordering from them so I gave up my membership a few years ago however Whisky and Alement on Russell Street in Melbourne carry all their bottlings so it's a regular stop for me whenever I'm in the city.
Yep. That's the "local" whiskey bar of choice. Great place and good way to dri k some of the interesting stuff without investing 400 bucks a bottle based on a wierd tasting note lol

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Gave a few a nudge during the Easter break...I'm not a big whisky drinker but it is growing on me.