Whisky!

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I keep looking at this one, I'm going to have to buy a bottle now
The tasting notes do not fill me with confidence. Was the taster licking the shelves and floor of his garden shed and sucking on cough sweets prior to sipping at the whisky???

lanolin, smouldering pine, butter menthol and vanilla cream that even the peat shy will fall for. Svelte entry preludes a concentrated, peppery, Fisherman’s Friend lozenge, dried grass

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The tasting notes do not fill me with confidence. Was the taster licking the shelves and floor of his garden shed and sucking on cough sweets prior to sipping at the whisky???
Yeah the notes provided are a little odd, but the score is high. For me it was well smoky, nutty, malt/grainy, sea breeze, a touch of iodine, a little leather, mild tobacco, and only a hint of sweetness. I had consumed a few serves of fortified Shiraz before which would have played some influence. I'll give it another nudge some time with a fresh mouth.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Typical wanker review, probably the same dickhead who describes wines as tasting like burnt bricks.

I had a Port Charlotte a while back, was pretty good but right now I can't remember what sets it apart from others....
Maybe I should write notes, rather than relying totally on memory.....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Typical wanker review, probably the same dickhead who describes wines as tasting like burnt bricks.

I had a Port Charlotte a while back, was pretty good but right now I can't remember what sets it apart from others....
Definitely. The More 'tasting' of whisky that happens in an evening, the more crucial it is to take notes. ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

They might look like my recent cocktail recipe notes...was working on some new recipes and the last few lines were useless but clearly concoctions I was enthused about.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

nah i dont think so. Ive had some wild flavours hit me before that would sound like complete BS, but how one perceives them is exactly why whiskey is so good, it can be transportative (if that's even a word). Fisherman's friend lozenge is quite a common note, as is burnt grass, both especially in in peated stuff. When you taste it, its unmistakable. Some peated stuff can be descriptors like medicinal, sea spray, industrial smoke, oily etc and in amongst those you will find the fisherman's friend.

The SMWS releases experimental releases and other small batch bottles from various distilleries which they semi obfuscate the origin of. They rely on interesting names from their tasting notes to get your attention. ie "glamping in the pines" or "smoked cod and parma ham", the latter of which i have had, and fuck me, the notes of smoked fish and prosciutto were 100% there. unmistakable. If you like whiskey, i highly recommend checking them out, they are worth the coin.

I think a lot of tasting notes can be subjective, but you can tell the regular drinker from the novice immediately. Avoid notes that include descriptors such as "smooth" lol

Fave whiskey at the moment is Ardbeg Correyvrekan (NAS).
and the one i always have a bottle of is caol ila 12 - this is such an underrated drop for the price if you like stuff from Islay. Anything from Caol Ila is good, but the price ramps exponentially from the 12, so not always in the budget.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I though you preferred Speyside and wasn't a fan of Peaty @pink poodle unless it was called Steve.
This as true and I still prefer the cleaner whisk(E)y styles. But somewhere in the covid period my taste flipped and I decided I didn't mind the occasional splash of peat. It's not something I'd kick back with and drink 10 shots of, but 1 usually makes its way into the mix of I have committed to burning some cash!

The same has been true for tequila. At one point I couldn't stand it and still feel that way about a lot of it. But I have also found a few I don't mind.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This as true and I still prefer the cleaner whisk(E)y styles. But somewhere in the covid period my taste flipped and I decided I didn't mind the occasional splash of peat. It's not something I'd kick back with and drink 10 shots of, but 1 usually makes its way into the mix of I have committed to burning some cash!
Same here. I was big on peaty goodness but needed a change and Speyside it was.

I invested in one of these but in the 1 litre variety in order to keep Covid at bay. Still quite a bit left since I don't hit it hard but it is quite tasty.
https://gooddrop.com.au/glenfarclas-12yo-highland-single-malt-scotch-whisky-700ml/

The same has been true for tequila. At one point I couldn't stand it and still feel that way about a lot of it. But I have also found a few I don't mind.
I don't know much about tequila at all but did work with a tequila enthusiast once. I tried an apparently expensive one in a rifle shaped bottle and it was top notch.