The QUICK question thread.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Oooo, let me know what your Judge weighs in at.
I'm not sure I really want to know. Kind of want to just install it and pretend it's still the same weight as the DHR II it mimics the look of... That way in my head it "doesn't weigh any different"! :p

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
How sticky should a fresh roll of tubeless tape be?

Got a roll of DTswiss doesn’t seem very tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I'm not sure I really want to know. Kind of want to just install it and pretend it's still the same weight as the DHR II it mimics the look of... That way in my head it "doesn't weigh any different"! :p
You are much wiser than I

Lucaw

Next in line
What condition are the Glenorchy Mtb trails in? When I went there a few years ago it wasn’t great, but I’m not sure if it has been fixed up. @birddog69?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Lucaw, Everything north of Junction Cabin is very dry and dusty. So from Junction Cabin down the NS Track not too bad; just dry. A lot of the armored sections are rutted around the edges where it look like riders have tried to go around them. The NS switchback is in slightly worse shape.

The bottom of the old National DH track, especially before the last jump section is a bit worn. I haven't been there for about a week so I don't know if the large tree across the bottom has been cleared. If you are planning to ride the 4x or dual slalom, bring a steel rake and a small saw. Most of the tracks in the bottom look as if they haven't been touched since Moses took of his training wheels.

There is a new climbing track to the start of the NS. The old one worked fine; money could have been spent better. The large jumps across from the bottom of the DH track are in reasonable nick.
Most of the money is being spent on the South Hobart side. This area, Glenorchy, doesn't get the love it deserves. Still fun...and only a 15 minute ride from home in Lenah Valley. I may go for a ride over there tomorrow. If I do I will get a few pics.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Anyone know anything about Sunn bikes or own a Sunn Kern? Wondering about their warranty and after sales service here in Aus, would also love to know how they ride?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Anyone know anything about Sunn bikes or own a Sunn Kern? Wondering about their warranty and after sales service here in Aus, would also love to know how they ride?
Don’t know anything about them but been looking. The frame at ridesports is a cheap buy. I’ve had it in and out of my cart about 10 times over the last 3 weeks. I can’t get over the tall standover height though.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Don’t know anything about them but been looking. The frame at ridesports is a cheap buy. I’ve had it in and out of my cart about 10 times over the last 3 weeks. I can’t get over the tall standover height though.
Yeah I've been having a similar dilemma, I think it would make a good trail bike but no real world feedback.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Caught up with a friend that I skate with occasionally today and found out he’s gotten quite serious on his road bike and heads out at 5am every Saturday and Sunday morning.

Kids sport commitments make a mtb ride on weekends difficult, but I could manage a dawn road ride.

I’m not prepared to go full roadie though.

Group does around 40-50km at an average of 27kmh. Is that doable on a modified mtb? I avg around 23kmh on my commuter bike with 2.2” knobbies and a fairly upright position (although for 30km not 40-50).

If I drop the bars a bit and switch to some skinnier slicks, is that likely going to make enough of a difference?

The alternative is to go a flat bar roadie and stick some pvc pipe on the forks and frame so it doesn’t look so skinny.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Caught up with a friend that I skate with occasionally today and found out he’s gotten quite serious on his road bike and heads out at 5am every Saturday and Sunday morning.

Kids sport commitments make a mtb ride on weekends difficult, but I could manage a dawn road ride.

I’m not prepared to go full roadie though.

Group does around 40-50km at an average of 27kmh. Is that doable on a modified mtb? I avg around 23kmh on my commuter bike with 2.2” knobbies and a fairly upright position (although for 30km not 40-50).

If I drop the bars a bit and switch to some skinnier slicks, is that likely going to make enough of a difference?

The alternative is to go a flat bar roadie and stick some pvc pipe on the forks and frame so it doesn’t look so skinny.
You'll be the only weirdo on a weird bike trying to keep up with your roadie mates... Just get a 2nd hand roadie

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You'll be the only weirdo on a weird bike trying to keep up with your roadie mates... Just get a 2nd hand roadie
Lol wtf. As @Mattyp said.. just get a roadie. Bikes are bikes, and the right bike for the job is always better than the wrong one. Early morning road rides are brill. Don't be a @moorey
See what happens when the forum’s primary ol’ curmudgeon takes forum leave for a few days?

In the last two days we’ve started recommending gravel bikes, to going full retard and recommending road bikes.

Sort your shit out @moorey - you’re meant to be here threatening the ban stick and moderating this type of talk!