Confessions from the fuckwits

safreek

Yesterday, binge watching Seinfeld while building a wheel….or more like building a wheel while ensconced in Seinfeld binge watching.

5 de-lacings later, I accepted that while wheel building isn’t hard, it is something you need to give more than 10% of your attention to.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Maybe go one of these flexible panels:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274220974750
I used one on the roof of our camper, glued it on using Sikaflex 221. Made sure I announced loudly, "that ain't going anywhere" when I was done, pretty sure that's the most important bit.
Super low profile and no glass to shatter.
I was thinking of doing that to the hardshell roof pod but was worried about the heat generation of the panel directly on the pod? No issues then on the camper? Does it generate much heat while charging?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
When charging its actually taking energy out of the panel so will be cooling the roof pod although actual temp drop might be undetectable. In any event it will be an extra layer of insulation for the pod.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I was thinking of doing that to the hardshell roof pod but was worried about the heat generation of the panel directly on the pod? No issues then on the camper? Does it generate much heat while charging?
It seems fine to me, been on there about a year now with no issues so far... I think from what I've read the heat is more of a problem for the actual cells than whatever the panel is attached to.

When the cells get hot the efficiency takes a hit so I have a feeling the flexible ones are a compromised right from the get go in that regard since they have no built in heat sink or ventilation around them like is typical of the rigid aluminium framed panels. Also why it's a good idea to mount rigid panels with a decent air gap behind them to help dissipate that heat.

I just made sure I got a panel with plenty of What's to cover any heat related efficiency issues. I also went with the cheapo PWM controller since maximum efficiency wasn't a concern for me, I can always add another panel and switch to a MPPT down the track if needed.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I notice the difference in shading you get with and without a panel on the roof of the Prado. Which reminds me I need to buy a replacement panel this week.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It seems fine to me, been on there about a year now with no issues so far... I think from what I've read the heat is more of a problem for the actual cells than whatever the panel is attached to.

When the cells get hot the efficiency takes a hit so I have a feeling the flexible ones are a compromised right from the get go in that regard since they have no built in heat sink or ventilation around them like is typical of the rigid aluminium framed panels. Also why it's a good idea to mount rigid panels with a decent air gap behind them to help dissipate that heat.

I just made sure I got a panel with plenty of What's to cover any heat related efficiency issues. I also went with the cheapo PWM controller since maximum efficiency wasn't a concern for me, I can always add another panel and switch to a MPPT down the track if needed.
That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to have a way of charging my AGM when the van is sitting there during rides etc, but been put off because I thought the pod roof could be damaged by the heat build up during charging. Now I'll give it a go. I already have a rigid panel which is great when you're there, but wouldn't be keen to leave it unattended.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Not me this time, but my Dad. I called him on his mobile to help him get a vaccine booster appointment. The last page on the booking website said "we'll SMS you the appointment details." Dad went into a bit of a tailspin: "where's my phone? I can't find it!" until I told him "Dad, you're bloody talking to me on it!!!" We had a good laugh :)

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Bought a bmx on a whim last night. (Good deal on fb for an intense frame actually. So the purchase is not why I'm here.)
I decided to clean it up and started with the stem and headset which was a bit loose. All came apart fine until the bottom bearing wouldn't come out. Hmmm. Give it a little tap with the hex key. Nope. Grab a flathead and a hammer.
Bang, bang... Pop!
Cue the sound of a bunch of tiny ball bearings rolling across the garage
"F-en eh!"

In my ham-fistedness I had split the bearing in half and left the bottom race in the frame.

Spent the next 15 minutes finding all but two of the 25 little balls that had flown across the room. Repacked it sans the two balls, and swapped the top and bottom bearings so the good one is now on the bottom.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Ok... Should have learnt my lesson. But had time for a coffee break this arvo and so went into the garage again. Moving onto the rear of the new bike, the cranks weren't spinning great. So I pulled everything off. Then noticed the NDS (mid BB) bearing was sticky.
Started immediately wailing on it with a hammer and a screwdriver just like this morning. Plan was to pull the bearing, pop the seals, clean and grease, then reinstall. Except it wouldn't budge. Of course it won't, it's probably the original press fit bearing from 2009 when it was new.

Then it dawned on me that I actually want to ride this thing. And I don't have any bmx BB bearings. And I smashed my hand with the hammer a few times while holding the screwdriver.
AND I realised I've made it worse than it was before...

I'm done with bikes for the day.

ausdb

Being who he is
For your enjoyment

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not a bike one.

Went down to my yacht club this afternoon to fix some damaged equipment, which all went quite smoothly.

Went to grab my phone & message our facilities bloke to let him know what I'd done, and also that the work boats will need a feed for next week.

FUCK, WHERE'S MY PHONE????

Hunt high & low in case it fell out of my pocket while clambering in & out of the boats. Nowhere. Just about tore my car to bits in case it had fallen in a little gap somewhere. Nup, nowhere. So I start to think the only other possibility is that I've dropped it outside the club yard while I had hands full of tools, and someone has picked it up. So off I wander to the local Police station & ask if any lost phones have been handed in today. "Nup, sorry mate".

Wander back to the club, have another scour of the boatshed, still to no avail, so I toodle off home, thinking, "well this is a bit fucked".

And as I step inside, there on the table where I'd put it down while grabbing wallet, keys & stuff is my bloody phone!

I must be getting old. :oops:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a bike one.

Went down to my yacht club this afternoon to fix some damaged equipment, which all went quite smoothly.

Went to grab my phone & message our facilities bloke to let him know what I'd done, and also that the work boats will need a feed for next week.

Hunt high & low in case it fell out of my pocket while clambering in & out of the boats. Nowhere. Just about tore my car to bits in case it had fallen in a little gap somewhere. Nup, nowhere. So I start to think the only other possibility is that I've dropped it outside the club yard while I had hands full of tools, and someone has picked it up. So off I wander to the local Police station & ask if any lost phones have been handed in today. "Nup, sorry mate".

Wander back to the club, have another scour of the boatshed, still to no avail, so I toodle off home, thinking, "well this is a bit fucked".

And as I step inside, there on the table where I'd put it down while grabbing wallet, keys & stuff is my bloody phone!

Don't worry. You're not getting dementia; you're just a bit dopey.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not a bike one.

Don't worry. You're not getting dementia; you're just a bit dopey.
Meh, if you haven't done it yet... ...you will.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Doing my weekly grocery shop ay aldo during the week. Had a fair few bags worth in the trolley and someone with only a few things came and I made the effort to make some space ahead of me and offer the spot for them. They bought their stuff and smiled and thanked me before leaving... how did I see a smile? Fuckwit wasn't wearing a mask without me realising until he left and I made effort to make his shopping experience more pleasant.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Not a bike one.

There is something to be said for a smart watch tethered to your phone preventing this...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
That also works for the phone dropping out of your pocket on the trails....... ask me how I know :D
Done this before, with a paired Apple Watch but phone dropped out of my unzipped CamelBak pocket. Couldn't ping it in my watch for some reason, turns out it fell out in full sun and had overheated. I only found it as I was retracing my steps and luckily it had fallen out on the warm-up skills track!