All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
How have they solved the problem of buzzing your arse on the rear tyre? I'm tall with long legs and get this with a 29" rear tyre. Can't imagine how bad it would be with a 36".

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How have they solved the problem of buzzing your arse on the rear tyre? I'm tall with long legs and get this with a 29" rear tyre. Can't imagine how bad it would be with a 36".
My idea is singlespeed which may change to a drop bar gravel/bikepacking bike. Nothing gravity orientated.

ozzybmx

A weird one.

For a few years now I have been using a wheely foot stool or a paint can to sit on when putting my MTB shoes on.

Down in my laundry, we all have a cupboard each, we have a drying rack for gloves and airing knee pads and a helmet rack with about 10-12 helmets hung on it, all our pairs of shoes are either airing or in a cupboard.

The only thing that is amiss is the stupid wheely stool kicking around and getting in the way.

Been looking at these for a while but its always $35+ for postage.

$8 postage :)

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A weird one.

For a few years now I have been using a wheely foot stool or a paint can to sit on when putting my MTB shoes on.

Down in my laundry, we all have a cupboard each, we have a drying rack for gloves and airing knee pads and a helmet rack with about 10-12 helmets hung on it, all our pairs of shoes are either airing or in a cupboard.

The only thing that is amiss is the stupid wheely stool kicking around and getting in the way.

Been looking at these for a while but its always $35+ for postage.

$8 postage :)

I love it that you post all your purchases. When ever my ever lovin' wife looks at a bank statement and says "what's the $XX to PayPal for" I just bring up this thread on the computer and say" look at that guy in the funny hat. My spending is nothing compared to his".

ozzybmx

"look at that guy in the funny hat. My spending is nothing compared to his".
My mate hit me with one of these a week ago that had me...

A friend of his had put him onto this absolute cert of a crypto, it was 10c starter and was going to go nutts !!!

He put a fair bit of cash into it and it immediately tanked to 1c... his analogy and justification for losing the price of a sweet new bike worth of cash was that his mate (who had put him on to it) had lost twice that amount :)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Laced up & installed ZTTO 4 pawl hub on a ARC30 offset rim because i'm curious to see how long it lasts. Guesses as to how long before something implodes? Front is also a ZTTO onto ARC30 offset, curious to see how that one does too. Being just a chunk of machined metal with bearings, at least it doesn't have small parts that can fail.

Have a ratchet rear version on the way (which is what I was originally planning on using before I bought the wrong one), gonna run this until something breaks then swap. Maybe i'll be surprised.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Laced up & installed ZTTO 4 pawl hub on a ARC30 offset rim because i'm curious to see how long it lasts. Guesses as to how long before something implodes? Front is also a ZTTO onto ARC30 offset, curious to see how that one does too. Being just a chunk of machined metal with bearings, at least it doesn't have small parts that can fail.

Have a ratchet rear version on the way (which is what I was originally planning on using before I bought the wrong one), gonna run this until something breaks then swap. Maybe i'll be surprised.

View attachment 385080
Probably depends on how you treat it, I can break most cheap hubs within 2 months. It's something I'll never skimp on for mountainbiking again.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The first hub broke after a few jumps, I suspect the axle might have been excessively flexing over time, the second hub just made a crunch noise and broke when I loaded it up on a rocky climb. No problem with the hope hubs, I run them on 3 bikes now.
That is run of bad luck. Still think you are too d00dworthy for lesser hubs :D
Why hubs have names like 'Hope' and AliExpress should know better than to have a product line called 'Risk' also.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've had some more orders turn up.

Out of curiosity, I ordered some smooth ground Ali Gear cables. They're slightly under the claimed 1.2 mm diameter but definitely a smoother finish than Shimano cables when you run your finger nail along them, I tried a few different level Shimano cables for comparison too. I might add that the Shimano cables I had all measure around 1.5 mm in diameter too. Overall, they look fairly good.

Next were the III Pro rotors, the overall finish looks fairly good on them for a budget type rotor, and there's a bit of a warning on the packaging that I expect that they'll live up to. The back side of the rivets aren't all uniform, which might be a bit of a dodge, but I suppose time will tell.

Last edited: