COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Moral is don't piss on anyone.
I like the analogy... Except the way I see it is that typical dude with shorts has them on 'dick nose' style and so pisses on the other guy's jeans anyway. Dude with jeans takes them off later that afternoon and gets piss all over his hands. Has to carefully dispose of jeans and wash hands before touching anything else.
(But we also need to follow that routine every day, because the piss is invisible and doesn't feel wet.)

Don't get me wrong. I wear a mask everytime I go out and I'm near other people/indoors in public. But not at home. And when risks seem low enough I want to go back to work without wearing a mask all day too.

The constant drain of covid for me is the decision and information fatigue. Things constantly changing --> restrictions tightening/easing, new variants, new vaccines, new outbreaks, work in the office/WFH, wear masks/don't wear masks, check-in everywhere/checking-in is useless, etc...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
you dont have live in fear but you dont have to be stupid to enjoy life during the pandemic. Were all lucky enough to enjoy an activity that takes place outdoors and away from most people (except for the odd shuttle). But do we need to go to a packed pub for beers "because we've been robed of two years" instead of having some mates over who's vax and health status we know/trust? It's about managing the risk. Is the pub or night club worth risking dying for?
This is the kind of hyperbole that actually has the opposite effect to what is intended. With 93% of the population double-vaxxed and a median death age of 79 (vs a median age of 32 for total infected), going to the pub or a nightclub is not going to be risking your life.*

Yes, it’s a big increase in copping a dose which will fuck you up for work for a week or two and yes, there may also be a slight risk of long COVID but you are most definitely not playing Russian Roulette.

That level of irrational fear-mongering just tends to evoke eye rolling and risks people dismissing otherwise good advice

*Although it does depend on the venue. If it’s a classic flat-roofed pub where the trivia night consists of one question and it’s “who the fuck are you looking at?”, then a life threatening head injury might not be too far away.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is the kind of hyperbole that actually has the opposite effect to what is intended. With 93% of the population double-vaxxed and a median death age of 79 (vs a median age of 32 for total infected), going to the pub or a nightclub is not going to be risking your life.*

Yes, it’s a big increase in copping a dose which will fuck you up for work for a week or two and yes, there may also be a slight risk of long COVID but you are most definitely not playing Russian Roulette.

That level of irrational fear-mongering just tends to evoke eye rolling and risks people dismissing otherwise good advice

*Although it does depend on the venue. If it’s a classic flat-roofed pub where the trivia night consists of one question and it’s “who the fuck are you looking at?”, then a life threatening head injury might not be too far away.
Absolute bullshit. I have been to a pub in Gasgow, stepped over the blood and bodies. Fuck that.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

I don't see it that way. Its all about the additive additive risk. This is a new risk that didn't exist previously. There are people vaxxed and unvaxed dying. Sure some of the weighting is toward older or people with comorbidities (though many Australians would have at least one comorbidity I reckon).

You may go to a venue and never be exposed (because no one there is sick or you're lucky) - great. But now every time you do go somewhere, you are risking getting sick. A risk we didn't have to consider previously. When you get sick, you are at risk of getting really sick. You then have a small chance of getting so sick you need a hospital, then if you get THAT sick, there is another small chance you can die. Each of those steps increases the chance you'll be the worst kind of statistic. Im not suggesting you got to the pub you will die, but you risk getting sick and until you do, you dont know if you're going to be one of the outliers at which point you have limited control in which direction the virus takes you.

While the odds are small generally speaking, the more more spread of this disease, the greater the chances are that your going to have to roll those dice. I dont see it necessary to roll those dice if there are other options for fun.

dirtdad

But now every time you do go somewhere, you are risking getting sick. A risk we didn't have to consider previously.
I don't think anyone disagrees, we just assess the risk and/or weigh it differently. Risk is a part of life. (And yes, people are notoriously bad at assessing risks, but we do it anyway.)

I still drive a car, and ride my bike on the road, even though there is a real risk that I am involved in an accident. In fact transport accidents were the 3rd highest cause of death in people my age (25-44 bracket) in 2017-2019.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I don't see it that way. Its all about the additive additive risk. This is a new risk that didn't exist previously. There are people vaxxed and unvaxed dying. Sure some of the weighting is toward older or people with comorbidities (though many Australians would have at least one comorbidity I reckon).

You may go to a venue and never be exposed (because no one there is sick or you're lucky) - great. But now every time you do go somewhere, you are risking getting sick. A risk we didn't have to consider previously. When you get sick, you are at risk of getting really sick. You then have a small chance of getting so sick you need a hospital, then if you get THAT sick, there is another small chance you can die. Each of those steps increases the chance you'll be the worst kind of statistic. Im not suggesting you got to the pub you will die, but you risk getting sick and until you do, you dont know if you're going to be one of the outliers at which point you have limited control in which direction the virus takes you.

While the odds are small generally speaking, the more more spread of this disease, the greater the chances are that your going to have to roll those dice. I dont see it necessary to roll those dice if there are other options for fun.
Each to their own but as far as I'm concerned the risk is much less than that of cycling which is one of my alternatives to heading down the pub. Yes, riding injuries aren't contagious but I'm pretty sure the local emergency department would rather I be sitting at home nursing a spicy cough than stealing bed-space with a broken collarbone. I don't have any contact with people who may be at risk and I'm not due back to work for another few weeks so I'm perfectly happy to roll those dice.

One thing I've definitely observed though, since getting back is the fear factor here is absolutely massive compared to the UK. I'm putting that down to it still being new to us here as there's really not much separating the people I know here and back home culturally. Back in Scotland, it really is treated as more of an inconvenience nowadays. Most people I know copped doses before they were even vaccinated. It's definitely not a walk in the park but there's a grudging acceptance of it.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I don't think anyone disagrees, we just assess the risk and/or weigh it differently. Risk is a part of life. (And yes, people are notoriously bad at assessing risks, but we do it anyway.)

I still drive a car, and ride my bike on the road, even though there is a real risk that I am involved in an accident. In fact transport accidents were the 3rd highest cause of death in people my age (25-44 bracket) in 2017-2019.
Sure there is always a level of risk in "living" but the reason the car analogy doesn't really stack up is that depending on your reason for driving, you generally cant eliminate that risk - ie travel for work. Getting smashed at the pub now has the added risk of rolling the dice with your health in a way it didnt before. The risk profile of driving the car hasn't materially changed.

People will make choices and roll the dice. I don't begrudge them for that. Personally, I don't need to roll the dice to "live" during covid times. Theres heaps of stuff to do that is no-low risk.

What i do begrudge is the government constantly increasing the risk profile of everyday activities through ineptitude. The ability to limit the covid risk is eroded daily.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

I bet you put your seatbelt on though ;)

dirtdad

I bet you put your seatbelt on though ;)
For sure. I also wear a helmet when MTBing. There's still residual risk, and at this point I'm happy to keep driving. I think I'd strongly object to mandatory 5 point harnesses though.

I'm not advocating anarchy either. Government has its place

What i do begrudge is the government constantly increasing the risk profile of everyday activities through ineptitude.
What? Surely you just mean failing to decrease the risk enough for you to be satisfied. How are they increasing the risk over its natural level?

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I like the analogy of two blokes at the urinals. Both are wearing shorts and unzipped. One pisses on the other guy's leg, he gets really wet. Now the one who is being pissed on is wearing jeans, still gets wet but not so much. Now the guy doing the pissing has his fly done up and just pisses himself, other guy has no problem. Moral is don't piss on anyone.
I've got PTSD now, this happened to me in a caravan park about 3 years ago. Some random little kid, standing too close to me at the trough and he looked at me midstream. I was wearing shorts and thongs. :rolleyes:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What? Surely you just mean failing to decrease the risk enough for you to be satisfied. How are they increasing the risk over its natural level?
It could be argued that by failing to provide any financial support to industries that have been particularly hit hard by lockdowns and social distancing (I.E hospitality, the arts etc.) and by failing to ensure a supply of RATs, they're effectively forcing people to work amongst other people when they might still be contagious.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
No. You've misread. They aren't increasing the risk of the disease itself. They are increasing the risk profile of every day activities. Ie going ro work, shopping, using PT etc by eroding the protections in place to prevent spread.

PINTofstella has it.