COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not different people, the same 7 blokes for about 65-70 hours this week alone, contained in one room.

On our week off, 3 of us ride and drink beers together.

A face mask is not going to do squat.
Not when you don't wear it, no.

I see the same 6 blokes throughout the week ~9 hours a day, 5 days a week (including one I share an office with all day). We still wear masks because if anyone catches it outside of work, it helps prevent them spreading it to the rest of us. They even have to wear them out in the workshop. Apparently it's rather effective given one of our workshop's guys caught COVID last week, but didn't pass it on to any of us. It's easy to be casual until it's on your own doorstep.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It's easy to be casual until it's on your own doorstep.
As I said, bring it on.

I don't think I know anyone in NI who hasn't had corona... apart from my elderly parents who have locked themselves away.

I've vaxxed up and if I get it, hopefully it's short and sweet.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Not really, just another one that has trouble with comprehension. Happened when morey quoted him a few posts prior too. Seems you're in good company.
That's a fairly insulting and puerile statement, I thought you were better than that. @moorey did take me out of context; he'd be hypocrite to question my desire to stop living in fear of covid when he's about to do exactly that and head off on a trip to Tassie.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...We still wear masks ... Apparently it's rather effective given one of our workshop's guys caught COVID last week, but didn't pass it on to any of us...
This x1000. The narrative currently being pushed that we're all going to get it is complete bullshit put out there to make it look like there's nothing the useless chunts in charge can do to prevent the spread. It's all loser talk. The loser talk and covid are both highly contagious and make for a bad combination as the mind-blowing rates of infection in Australia demonstrate.

Imagine if we were actually at war with the fictitous and despotic regime of Jerk-a-jerkistan and they used the covid approach/messaging. What do you reckon our chances of winning that war would be?

I'm sure this is the sort of rallying cry from Winston Churchill that sent fear into the heart of the enemy "We can't win a war with Jerk-a-jerkistan, we need to learn to live with Jerk-a-jerkistan"

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That's a fairly insulting and puerile statement, I thought you were better than that. @moorey did take me out of context; he'd be hypocrite to question my desire to stop living in fear of covid when he's about to do exactly that and head off on a trip to Tassie.
he didn't and you're still missing the point that was made. The point I made went right over your head too. you're still stuck on as if they were both directed at you personally, hence comprehension. But I'm not going to get into explaining this shit again, i know where this ends up.

moorey

call me Mia
Taken out of context… with a healthy straw man thrown in.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I haven't gone full @ozzybmx yet, ie. wanting to get it over with, but I'm leaning more that way every day.

For sure, better hygiene standards than ore-covid are a good thing. But I'm over being in enforced lockdowns and pseudo lockdowns.

Vaccines are available. Most people have got them. So let's move on. Yes, get back to "normal" life, working in an office or on site, crowded pubs, MTB shuttles and all.
People who want to wear masks can wear masks. The social stigma of this is gone! It was once something you saw in HK and not Sydney. But now, noone cares if you've got a mask on. (Shit. We used to get told to take off our helmets and sunglasses at the bank for security.)

FFS though. Noone wears masks properly anyway. Who here doesn't work in healthcare, but uses surgical masks or n95s only once; properly fitted with braces etc.; and always adheres to put on/take off procedures??
Probably noone. So we're getting a fraction of the protection masks could offer. But lambasting people who choose not to wear them when working in close contact with the same people for hours day in day out. Why?

I'm a fan of the vaccine being available to kids now. But I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to get their kids vaxxed, when the risk to kids has always been described as very low, and the current Pfizer vax option was just described as somewhat useless for the omicron variant by the Pfizer ceo himself (yes I know hospitalisation is reportedly still lower with pfizer vax).

Lastly, what's with this sort of crap!
Is this the country we've become?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

This is where we have ended up. Stark, avoidable failure which will cost everyone dearly.

Might not be affecting every one of us right now, whether health-wise or financially, but it will.

Will be taking the biggest fucking sharpie they make to the next election.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
but the wider MTB community is a lot more ignorant than I expected, and seems to be getting worse.
I'll take your MTB community and raise you the skateboarding community. FMD it's depressing, especially some of the ones you know IRL and thought they were reasonable people, suddenly they are smarter than experts on immunology.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Keep it civil or holidays will occur.

As for saying face asks do diddly you guys are either wearing them incorrectly or not wearing a proper mask but one of those fashion statements people like to use because wearing a mask is beneath them and they have no idea how the mask works or the disease spreads. I like the analogy of two blokes at the urinals. Both are wearing shorts and unzipped. One pisses on the other guy's leg, he gets really wet. Now the one who is being pissed on is wearing jeans, still gets wet but not so much. Now the guy doing the pissing has his fly done up and just pisses himself, other guy has no problem. Moral is don't piss on anyone.

At work I did many many hours in hot humid dusty environments. You wore a mask all shift. Changed after smoko and lunch or if we went back to the office and the mask wearing left welts on your face. This went on for 6 to 8 weeks, 7 days a week. Tried one inspection for an hour without a mask and coughed up black shit for days...

Don't piss on anyone.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Lol. I know for a fact several of the anti vaxxers never have bongs, and I know several who do have bongs that aren't anti vax.

There's just no stereotyping this disease of mistrust and doing your own research, so many people you thought weren't fuckwits actually are.
yeah i know. Was a little skater boy, bongs and all as a kid. Seen all sorts. But it totally made me think of all those times being spaced out and coming up with hairbrained theories about the world. It all felt so profound back then lol.

These days, you're right, its anyone's guess.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
he didn't and you're still missing the point that was made. The point I made went right over your head too. you're still stuck on as if they were both directed at you personally, hence comprehension. But I'm not going to get into explaining this shit again, i know where this ends up.
I disagree, you missed my original point from the start, labelled me an antivaxxer and went off on a tangent. All I said was we should no longer live in fear of covid. That's not the same as no longer doing what we can to continue to slow the spread, protect the vulnerable, the health system and so on. You said it yourself, it's a risk we didn't have 2 years ago that we now have to live with. Live in fear, or be sensible and move on - there's not really a no-covid option anymore.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I suspect many of the people I’m interacting with are both.
Those ones are the worst ;) Most of my MTB friends are riding buddies and none are anti vax, but probably similar to you being involved with events I get a lot of random friends of friends adding me on the skateboarding side of things because they know of me from the event.

yeah i know. Was a little skater boy, bongs and all as a kid.
There were plenty of MTBers on the bongs in the 90's if memory serves me correctly :D