What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
First time on the trails for 2022 last night. Celebrated by changing the drivetrain over the night before.

Arrived at Kalamunda just in time and started getting my gear ready to head off with the group.

Lights not working. Gloworm wireless switch not playing ball, but no big deal, can just use the on light switch.

Go to take the bike off the rack and notice this:

Could have sworn I had that clipped in tight last night, but no dramas, I just clip it back in. Seems its a dud and won’t stay clipped so I tell the group to get going while I search for a spare. Luckily had one in the kit, so I put the new one in and all good.

Take the bike off the rack and notice this:

Tyre was full of air before I left, so must have been one of those just driving along punctures. Try reinflating with the shitty hand pump and it won’t seat the bead. Use my air canister and no joy with that either. Grab the spare tube and am annoyed to discover the tyre levers aren’t there. Luckily can get the tyre off by hand.

Then the bloody bullet proof schrader valve proves itself to be removable proof as well. Try a small adjustable to loosen off the nut but the valve resists, just spinning with it. Grab a 4mm hex key and smash it into the arse of the valve with a rock to give something to leverage off and managed to get the nut off.

Wrangle with the tyre a bit and eventually get it back on without levers. Shitty hand pump won’t get it above 25psi and I’ve already used the air canister so I’m left with a soft front tyre, but there’s enough in there to get a ride in at least.

Head off solo and get a few runs at Gunjin before the drivetrain starts ghost shifting and skipping under the slightest bit of power. Stop a few times to fiddle with it but don’t have any joy so I abandon another Gunjin run and slowly make my way back to the car.

A bit of messing around with the bike on the rack and the drivetrain is humming again. Group are still out riding so I head off again to get some more k’s in before they get back.

In the end managed to get a 18km ride in somewhere. Pretty slow being solo in he dark and nursing a soft front tyre, but fuck its nice to be riding out in the hills at night.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
First time on the trails for 2022 last night. Celebrated by changing the drivetrain over the night before.

Arrived at Kalamunda just in time and started getting my gear ready to head off with the group.

Lights not working. Gloworm wireless switch not playing ball, but no big deal, can just use the on light switch.

Go to take the bike off the rack and notice this:

View attachment 384893

Could have sworn I had that clipped in tight last night, but no dramas, I just clip it back in. Seems its a dud and won’t stay clipped so I tell the group to get going while I search for a spare. Luckily had one in the kit, so I put the new one in and all good.

Take the bike off the rack and notice this:

View attachment 384894

Tyre was full of air before I left, so must have been one of those just driving along punctures. Try reinflating with the shitty hand pump and it won’t seat the bead. Use my air canister and no joy with that either. Grab the spare tube and am annoyed to discover the tyre levers aren’t there. Luckily can get the tyre off by hand.

Then the bloody bullet proof schrader valve proves itself to be removable proof as well. Try a small adjustable to loosen off the nut but the valve resists, just spinning with it. Grab a 4mm hex key and smash it into the arse of the valve with a rock to give something to leverage off and managed to get the nut off.

View attachment 384895

Wrangle with the tyre a bit and eventually get it back on without levers. Shitty hand pump won’t get it above 25psi and I’ve already used the air canister so I’m left with a soft front tyre, but there’s enough in there to get a ride in at least.

Head off solo and get a few runs at Gunjin before the drivetrain starts ghost shifting and skipping under the slightest bit of power. Stop a few times to fiddle with it but don’t have any joy so I abandon another Gunjin run and slowly make my way back to the car.

A bit of messing around with the bike on the rack and the drivetrain is humming again. Group are still out riding so I head off again to get some more k’s in before they get back.

In the end managed to get a 18km ride in somewhere. Pretty slow being solo in he dark and nursing a soft front tyre, but fuck its nice to be riding out in the hills at night.
Amazing persistence, bravo. I would have been rocking back and forth in the corner, wailing intermittently.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Not a real bike, but my '09 roadie was making a few creaks as I was climbing yesterday. Carbon creaks sound so brutal. So I pulled down the bb, cleaned, regreased and perfect silence ensued.

First time I've done it since new.

Why don't my mtb bb's get such mileage between touchups?