Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
SRAM do them
View attachment 384843
So much easier than the stupid slotted POS bolts, with their equally POS tool that usually slips off and causes a person to smack their knuckles on the chainring.
LC knows it.
I think I grabbed some aftermarket versions I saw years ago though they could have been scram. Changed everything and just reuse them though I only runn1x these days. My Knuckles suffer enough just walking around to try and conjure some sort of convoluted tooling to use the slotted things.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah, right size, swapping out an old for new. It's the backing/female side of the bolt that's a silly design - you either have to have a tool (which I'm guessing doesn't make things much easier as the recess where the tool grabs is shallow and narrow) that can't be used for any other purpose, or you have to make do with a large flathead screwdriver.

Just make each size with a differing hex key head, FFS?!

The tool is an annoying piece of shit, guaranteed to bust up your knuckles. As mentioned hex to hex versions exist and they are awesome. Shimano currently use torx...to stupid tool.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Going to need some funky shaped Allen keys to fit those hexes! o_O
SRAM marketing: WTF is this?
SRAM engineer: It's our chainring bolt. So much better than the old two pin crap right!
M: I said IRREGULAR hexagon!! How on earth are we going to sell our irregular hex wrenches if you give me regular slots? And make them different irregular hexagons on each size.
E: Ok boss. mutters FML

moorey

call me Mia
No true, there are some that do, just very rare. I've had them back in the day on an old bike.
I mis-spoke, and misinterpreted the situation.
Yes there are. All becoming a think of the past with DM rings and bolts that thread into the crack.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Have you forgotten last week? Was 75-85% every day. Under 50% this week. Almost bearable.
I think maybe because it's warmer it just makes it more angery making? Unsure. Regardless there's a reason I'm living somewhere that's as far from the equator as possible (while still being on the mainland).