All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
A lot of the protection is in the stiff sole, even in the high end riding shoes as in it doesn't fold back on your foot so easily, compare to joggers that are very soft at the tip of the shoe.

I've looked at them too, but by the time you ship them they end up close to the same price as the cheap Aussie bought etnies.
Yeah, that was my other thought, at somewhere around 70-80+GST (for the aliexpress shoes), the etnies locally isn't a bad prospect

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, that was my other thought, at somewhere around 70-80+GST (for the aliexpress shoes), the etnies locally isn't a bad prospect
If the Ali shoes don't fit properly, it's a PITA on selling them as an unknown brand or trying to return them. I've had some bad luck with 5/10s, their sizing is all over the place across different models.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
A lot of the protection is in the stiff sole, even in the high end riding shoes as in it doesn't fold back on your foot so easily, compare to joggers that are very soft at the tip of the shoe.

I've looked at them too, but by the time you ship them they end up close to the same price as the cheap Aussie bought etnies.
$30 shipping is a bit of a punch in the dick, but are there any cheap options locally that have toe protection?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do either of these have toe protection? Hoping they might be an alternative to my mighty Dunlop Volley steel caps.
Good enough for someone that habitually kicks big rocks on the trail?
Pffffft...rocks! You mean pea gravel as it scatters.

Oh you don't need new shoes, you need different pedals, a new technique, and maybe a new crank...and possibly new trails too. I think it's time for a specific thread. We will need some photos and descriptions.

I've been looking at both of these as casual shoes (that I might ride in occasionally) as my old simple shoes are fk'd and aren't great on the bike.

Good to know the "dazzles" are comfortable.
The holy grail is the 5:10 dirt bag or spitfire. All there shoes shall be judged by this standard.

Are you talking serious riding or just pissing around? I rock my regular sneakers on the bike for pissing around and dirt lumps rides. Very comfy, enough grip etc, and perfect for casual.

I have a pair of dirt bags but I barely ride in them. I do like them for casual wear though. Shame they aren't made anymore.

I can't really say as I've only bought 5/10's and RideConcepts all my flat pedal life, I'm pretty sure @pink poodle likes the Etnies, he can give us a run down on them.
Has the etnies...likes might be a bit of a stretch. It's perhaps love-hate? They do the job, but are not as comfortable as I Ould like them to be. Mainly they are quite narrow so I wear them as loose as possible. This still isn't wide enough across the ball of my feet but is a bit tool at the shoes entry (where I have quite skinny ankles). They become uncomfortable on long rides and some times I get minor pins and needles. I think this is from my foot squeezing in where the toe end of the shoe tapers in sharply. Lucky I don't really do long rides much! Laps of the dirt lumps and talking shit at the roll in is fine. The Michelin grip is ok, but not amazing. I had these shoes on last week when I mached into the tree and jammed my toe. Toe is still sore and restricted in movement. Sole is stiffer than my go to casual shoes - puma classic in suede.

These are the ones I have:
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/etnies-marana-flat-shoes

I also have these and they are a little more comfortable:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Piss farting around
Go for comfy sneakers then and enjoy piss farting in them. Most MTB shoes are rigid and uncomfortable for getting around in.

My favourite shoes for riding in at the moment are some old falling apart Teva high tops. They are really comfy, very protective, and stock to the pedal like shit in your fur. But I don't like walking around in them much.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Mainly they are quite narrow so I wear them as loose as possible. This still isn't wide enough across the ball of my feet but is a bit tool at the shoes entry
That's me with every pair of riding shoes, I've usually got to buy 2 sizes up and be careful when I sprint or climb that the over hang of the shoes doesn't grab on anything. I've had a couple of high speed offs like this, especially on the later geo bike that has the low BB.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Pffffft...rocks! You mean pea gravel as it scatters.

Oh you don't need new shoes, you need different pedals, a new technique, and maybe a new crank...and possibly new trails too. I think it's time for a specific thread. We will need some photos and descriptions.
It’s definitely technique and/or fuckwittery. Can’t blame the equipment.

I just regularly run down stuff like this no problem, then will hit something random while pedalling an otherwise simple section of trail a few moments later. I should watch where I’m going but buying protective shoes is easier.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It’s definitely technique and/or fuckwittery. Can’t blame the equipment.

I just regularly run down stuff like this no problem, then will hit something random while pedalling an otherwise simple section of trail a few moments later. I should watch where I’m going but buying protective shoes is easier.

View attachment 384826
If you ride trails other than flow trails, you'll always clip an odd rock or a log with your feet that you didn't see. Sometimes you just lose balance, and you need to position your feet in a way to save yourself from going over.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It's a shame that they don't have more quality goods, as some vendors over there try really hard.
Absolutely, there is quality there it's just a bit of luck to find it. Ztto is a good example, within a couple of years they have gone from a no name Ali brand to a quality manufacturer who's products can be trusted (as much as anyone, looking at you SRAM)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My replacement Xoss el cheapo GPS showed up today. It does the job, ordered it on the 28th of December.

View attachment 384828
I like this 5* review...

B***r
KR

Color: G with case Logistics: AliExpress Standard Shipping
Plus, not just G model for high performance is very excellent four. Indoor only or GPS receiver is excellent comfort. Tunnel, when about dry hang feeling? Slope meter wholesale original altitude and distance to calculate solder to delay the letter's water within seconds quick admission. But you should look more having so far are other expensive GPS speed thermometer for no reason and written. 24 Nov 2021 03:01

Flow-Rider

Burner
I like this 5* review...

B***r
KR

Color: G with case Logistics: AliExpress Standard Shipping
Plus, not just G model for high performance is very excellent four. Indoor only or GPS receiver is excellent comfort. Tunnel, when about dry hang feeling? Slope meter wholesale original altitude and distance to calculate solder to delay the letter's water within seconds quick admission. But you should look more having so far are other expensive GPS speed thermometer for no reason and written. 24 Nov 2021 03:01
Info lost in translation somewhere.

I had one for about 2 weeks prior, and it fell off somewhere in a small pond when I went over the bars. It's a very basic unit in terms of extra functions, but it seems to be on par with my Garmin 800 with tracking and strava. I had initial problems with the syncing app running on my older Android phone, and I had to find an older version of the app to make it work on my phone. It seems to be a reliable unit, and found no strange glitches in the two weeks that I had it.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Risk it all with the RRS kit bearing press!

Rrskit Bicycle Wheels/Hub Bearing Installation Press Set Bike Soft Tail Frame Turning Point Bearing Removal Installation Tool

I paid $71.95 for the kit (with case) and shipping. The shipping is crazy expensive at $33.73
Also keep in mind that prices are often sans GST until you get to the confirm payment part.

It was pretty well packed in a cardboard box wrapped in the typical black plastic outer. Everything was snug in the case.

As for usability, it has heaps of drift sizes, but I've only used it to press in some linkage bearings so far. It was quick and easy to use for that, particularly as I didn't have any fiddly areas to maneuver around.

I'm not sure why it says it's for removal and installation, but I could be missing something obvious or it's something lost in translation. (On AliExpress, no way!)

For the backyard hack like myself, it works fine.