Black Dogs and mental shit in general

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My mum bought me the Ween single of Push the Little Dasies because she simply couldn't believe it could be released as music.

There are some epic lyrics in those odd songs though.

FIFY, and you're younger than me! There is still plenty of good music around, and like most good music it kicks off on Triple J.
There sure is, but ive never heard it on jjj anymore. I turned it off when they started playing hip hop, or even more embarrassingly bad australian hip hop...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Winona's Big Brown beaver was a bucolic country and western tale of a young nature-loving lady and her pet right?
It is a song of unrequited love and a life of infilling commitment to that love regardless. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever hear and I cry every time I hear it. Tim Alexander wrote the lyrics about his true life. Some of the greatest country jazz fission ever written.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
For the naysayers on the 2000's I just had Gold Lion by Yeah Yeah Yeahs pop up, a great tune IMO from 2006.
I still regularly listen to It's Blitz. Such a great album

Anyway, hope you are going ok @Rorschach - I’ve taken 3 weeks off work and after 2 years working at home and being surrounded by my wife and kids, all I dream about is time to myself. Not saying I’m experiencing anything like what you are but having ‘time with the family’ is not something I find relaxing. Maybe it is rewarding in other ways??? But not relaxing. Add in a the covid anxiety and it’s bound to be tough on your mental health no matter who you are. Throw in some previous diagnosed mental health challenges and it’s entirely understandable you are in need of some sort of release. Good luck!
Rewarding yes, relaxing no.
My day is get up and sort the baby, get in the shower, sort breakfast while the toddler watches tv and the Mrs has a shower, go to work and then pretty much the reverse when I get home.
My Psychologist said I need to learn to relax, and she's right. I've downloaded Calm and am doing some of the relaxation stuff on there mainly before I go to bed, but listening to some at work (between listening to JJJ ;), although that is very shit I prefer it to JJ!) and doing the breathing stuff when I feel like I need to calm down a bit.
I'm also looking for a hobby, something I can do for bits here and there. I'm thinking of getting a drone - have been interested for a while - and possibly trading my Xbox One in for a new one. I'm also looking at bits I can pick up on the Switch to pass the time, like a strategy game or something. Something I can grab for 10 minutes and put down or gets me out for a bit

greendream

Likes Bikes
I'm finding Double J is more like the Triple J we grew up with. As an example, they're replaying the Hottest 100 from 2001 on Jan 23rd.
I'm a fan of JJ for similar reasons. The range and styles of music they play is outstanding & I like a bit of Tim Rogers @ liquid lunch. I can listen to JJJ for short periods but then the ongoing political/woke approach along with some of the "music" that is broadcasted tends to annoy me now. I much prefer the more music/less bullshit talking approach form JJ. In fact I can still remember listening to JJ on the old AM band before FM & JJJ was the newest technology. I know I'm such a sixties baby.
But then again good music is good music. I was playing a bit of poker with my 18 year old son and a couple of his mates over the recent weekend with JJ in the background. They were getting into the tunes and asking me about the songs and how I am know/into such cool music. The look on their faces when you explain much of what they are listening to is from the middle ages is priceless.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
and less annoying gen z idiots who says things like "hit us up on the Js" etc... speak english you twits...
Let's not start on gen z...

I was at the local fruit & veg store a couple of days ago, which just so happens to be next door to a coffee shop so I get my caffeine fix at the same time. I handed my keep-it cup to the young girl behind the counter and placed my order for a coffee to go, then ducked off to get some fruit & veg in the meantime. When I came back she greets me cheerily with a "it's nearly ready", but I'm somewhat perplexed as my cup is still sitting on the counter...
"Ah... that's my cup there."
"Ohhhh, you want the coffee in that cup?"

greendream

Likes Bikes
Ummm, sorry to go off topic I got my posts mixed up. However music will certainly assist with maintaining and improving mental health and at the same time send one on a massive rant if you get onto JJJ at the wrong time.

madstace

Likes Dirt
@smiffy has provoked an interesting conversation here, although I have to disagree with the proposition. I think 'dark' music is often what's called for as a kind of therapy for when people are in a bad place. Expressing shit that you might struggle to yourself in a wall of noise is probably quite helpful. I'm lucky enough to have a relatively easy time with my mental health, but I've seen how people close to me cope and deal with it.

Everyone's different of course. Music, whatever your bag, is a great help though.
I tend to agree here, I've always seen "dark" or "angry" music as more reflective of current culture than a prescriptive negative message. Most people into this music will say it's cathartic as they feel like they're not alone in a particular mindset, and is a positive outlet for that energy rather than a negative impact on their mental health. That said, I can see how that might not be the case in a few rare examples.

One of the best things to come out of the BDO for teenage poodle was discovering Alchemist. They were on at the same time as Nick Cave. All my friends were like "it's Nick Cave man!!!!" And sure I regret not seeing him, but Alchemist were the heaviest band on the bill! I was impressed.
That's good news. You've had a tough couple of years with shitty body parts.
I saw Alchemist at Bar on the Hill many moons ago with Superheist. I thought they were amazing, shame I didn't get a chance to see them live again.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I grew up in the UK, so can't comment there, but I got into a lot of bands going to Leeds Festival most years after turning 18
I did do one BDO (2010), and only then as Muse were headlining. That was a good day
You didn't do the teen British thing of going to Ibiza or the Cayman Islands?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I saw Alchemist at Bar on the Hill many moons ago with Superheist. I thought they were amazing, shame I didn't get a chance to see them live again.
After that first taste I saw them a lot of times and each time was mind blowing. While under age I met them here at a record signing pre-(all ages)-show in the rock shop. The turnout was pretty small - me and my two metal mates. So at the gig that night we scored a bit of celebrity shine from the band! Up on stage, shout outs, back stage...all pretty fun shit. We formed a huge conga line in the mosh pit as well which was hilarious. For a few years after that we would end up back stage and clowning around when they were in town. Ahhh fun times.

and less annoying gen z idiots who says things like "hit us up on the Js" etc... speak english you twits...
I don't ever remember hearing that phrase or anything like it back in the day...nope, not never.

@Rorschach do you feel trapped by your routine?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Magaluf once I finished Uni, but mostly worked in the summer and went to gigs
lol, went to Magaluf a couple of years ago - lasted one night and did a runner to Soller to rent a roadie and go riding (Sa Calobra is awesome...). My bogan brother loved magaluf and picking up feral drunk british chicks, he was welcome to it and I left him to it!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
@Rorschach do you feel trapped by your routine?
Yep, hence looking for a bit of an out.
Don't get me wrong, I love my family but I really want a break and some time on my own, but its unfair that I get that when I struggle to pay it back.
And left to my own devices, I get bored of my own company very quickly, so am trying to find something to break the monotony

lol, went to Magaluf a couple of years ago - lasted one night and did a runner to Soller to rent a roadie and go riding (Sa Calobra is awesome...). My bogan brother loved magaluf and picking up feral drunk british chicks, he was welcome to it and I left him to it!
I wasn't a fan but it was cheap and a good blowout after finishing uni. Booked by my slightly chavvy housemate

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Let's not start on gen z...

I was at the local fruit & veg store a couple of days ago, which just so happens to be next door to a coffee shop so I get my caffeine fix at the same time. I handed my keep-it cup to the young girl behind the counter and placed my order for a coffee to go, then ducked off to get some fruit & veg in the meantime. When I came back she greets me cheerily with a "it's nearly ready", but I'm somewhat perplexed as my cup is still sitting on the counter...
"Ah... that's my cup there."
"Ohhhh, you want the coffee in that cup?"
there is no eyeroll or facepalm emoji, FFS

Flow-Rider

Burner
Did he have to go on a course of antibiotics after this, asking for a friend?