Black Dogs and mental shit in general

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
The 90s were good. Then they weren't. I think the turning point was when the big day out left the show ground.
I grew up in the UK, so can't comment there, but I got into a lot of bands going to Leeds Festival most years after turning 18
I did do one BDO (2010), and only then as Muse were headlining. That was a good day

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I grew up in the UK, so can't comment there, but I got into a lot of bands going to Leeds Festival most years after turning 18
I did do one BDO (2010), and only then as Muse were headlining. That was a good day
Saw Muse play to a crowd of about 200 at the Evelyn in Fitzroy... Was flipping great, only downer was half the punters ignoring the band and talking loudly because no one knew who they were...

Industry tickets when Kirsty worked at JB Hifi. She saw Jeff Buckley play there too on a promotion tour. Like a total fucking knob I had probably decided I didnt want to see him play... Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I remember from 94 onwards.
It sucked.
Shut the hell up whipper snapper - respect your elders and betters!

The 90s were awesome. I escaped redneck country high school hell in the early 90s and move to St Kilda, some of which I sorta remember...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
From the showground days I recall

Old Showground memories include Prodigy and this fresh Newcastle band called Silverchair. TISM, Beastie Boys and Chemical Brothers at the Homebush venue were also epic. I spent the 90's lisening to whatever Triple J played, because...

Reckon I saw Prodigy at the BDO on the Goldie. Most of the day was a blur though. My brother had baked a green cake with the intention of sharing it with some friends that we were hooking up with before we went into the showgrounds. When we got to their place though, they had already baked their own cake and were washing it down with some spirits. My brother and I went halves in his cake, with a doobie on the walk to the BDO to kick us off. The world spun at 10% of normal speed the whole day.

I think there’s an ABC podcast about the BDO and how it came about. It’s a great story.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I remember from 94 onwards.
It sucked.
The 90’s were fucking awesome and the best time to be going to live music in Melbourne and I won’t hear differing opinions :rolleyes: Honestly though, I hear what you saying @smiffy but I disagree. I think you could find what you were looking for. I wasn’t into Nirvana at the time but gravitated towards Rage Against the Machine, Spiderbait, regurgitator, Ice Cube and others that were still loud/aggressive but not really on about depression/suicide. Throw in Ween and some other wacky shit from the time and you could find a lot of joy too.
Anyway, hope you are going ok @Rorschach - I’ve taken 3 weeks off work and after 2 years working at home and being surrounded by my wife and kids, all I dream about is time to myself. Not saying I’m experiencing anything like what you are but having ‘time with the family’ is not something I find relaxing. Maybe it is rewarding in other ways??? But not relaxing. Add in a the covid anxiety and it’s bound to be tough on your mental health no matter who you are. Throw in some previous diagnosed mental health challenges and it’s entirely understandable you are in need of some sort of release. Good luck!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Kirsty saw Nirvana play at the Palace… Sigh. I did get to see RATM play there though after an afternoon getting sloshed at the Espy. Good times :)

Back on topic, I’m off anti depressants once I finally sorted the pain problems with a good physio. Scary what chronic pain does to the brain…

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
By 2010 it was false advertising...m

From the showground days I recall

Old Showground memories include Prodigy and this fresh Newcastle band called Silverchair. TISM, Beastie Boys and Chemical Brothers at the Homebush venue were also epic. I spent the 90's lisening to whatever Triple J played, because...

Prodigy in the boiler room? Or prodigy on the main stage?

The year they were in the boiler room was awesome. On the big outdoor stage their sound kind of drifted away a bit.

One of the best things to come out of the BDO for teenage poodle was discovering Alchemist. They were on at the same time as Nick Cave. All my friends were like "it's Nick Cave man!!!!" And sure I regret not seeing him, but Alchemist were the heaviest band on the bill! I was impressed.

And fuck me! The gurge could play.

were the only real metal band on the bill!!!

My gen z physio puts on triple j - its fukcing embarrassingly bad now...
It's just different.

Back on topic, I’m off anti depressants once I finally sorted the pain problems with a good physio. Scary what chronic pain does to the brain…
That's good news. You've had a tough couple of years with shitty body parts.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Prodigy in the boiler room? Or prodigy on the main stage?
Main stage.

We have been subconscious fed messages about the struggle of life and giving up on it through music we once thought it was cool at the time.
It may to have played some part in the development of our futures.
Our son got to attend BDO while still inside my wife's belly in 1999. I think this is one reason why he has diverse musical taste ;)

I always found music could be relatable but I don't think the messaging subconciously had any effect on my personality, more like my mood has an effect on which music I choose to listen to.

90's had Lithium but it also had Dr Worm.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
90's had Lithium but it also had Dr Worm.
I was thinking about this the other day actually. That in the 90's a band could have a relatively decent hit song that skirted pretty close to novelty act. Ween, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, King Missile, Primus, Dennis Leary, Bloodhound Gang, Offspring, Barenaked Ladies - there were heaps of acts that released some truly oddball stuff alongside more credible tracks. Not that I was a massive fan of any of these except perhaps Primus, but it certainly wasn't all grunge and shoe gazing in the 90s.

Must say I don't share poodle's pessimism about the later 90s - early was great with tail end Pixies, Nirvana, RATM etc but late 90s brought the best out of Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Neutral Milk Hotel and that's just the commercial (IMO) end.

Loved all those BDOs of the era, although memories are hazy. I must've seen Muse on that same tour as @Haakon, playing a small crowd upstairs at the Newtown RSL haha. Guy was running around the stage like he was already in training for the stadium gigs.

@smiffy has provoked an interesting conversation here, although I have to disagree with the proposition. I think 'dark' music is often what's called for as a kind of therapy for when people are in a bad place. Expressing shit that you might struggle to yourself in a wall of noise is probably quite helpful. I'm lucky enough to have a relatively easy time with my mental health, but I've seen how people close to me cope and deal with it.

Everyone's different of course. Music, whatever your bag, is a great help though.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
there were heaps of acts that released some truly oddball stuff alongside more credible tracks.
My mum bought me the Ween single of Push the Little Dasies because she simply couldn't believe it could be released as music.

There are some epic lyrics in those odd songs though.

Correct - it used to be good, now I'm too old
FIFY, and you're younger than me! There is still plenty of good music around, and like most good music it kicks off on Triple J.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Goddamn you half Japanese girls...
I'm not black like Barry White no I am white like Frank Black is :)

Spotify has changed my life as far as music. I listen to Discover Weekly and it brings back so many cool songs I totally forgot existed but really liked when they were high rotation on the radio. For the naysayers on the 2000's I just had Gold Lion by Yeah Yeah Yeahs pop up, a great tune IMO from 2006.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm not black like Barry White no I am white like Frank Black is :)

Spotify has changed my life as far as music. I listen to Discover Weekly and it brings back so many cool songs I totally forgot existed but really liked when they were high rotation on the radio. For the naysayers on the 2000's I just had Gold Lion by Yeah Yeah Yeahs pop up, a great tune IMO from 2006.
Check out the acoustic iTunes session of the YYY tracks, it’s great.