Feet going painfully numb when descending

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, I’m thinking that’s the next step. Getting her to go to the doctor, that’s another whole challenge.:rolleyes:
I know what you mean about going to the doctor's surgery, sounds like you've gone through a lot of the basic stuff.
One thing I've noticed with the Rideconcepts is that they have nowhere near the dampening of the Fivetens.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried different pedals? I noticed that convex pedals & (to a lesser degree) smaller platforms made it worse (at least for me - ymmv). Went and bought the biggest and most concave pedals I could find and it vastly improved.

My theory behind the convex part is that on convex pedals your feet feel more like they're drooping/sliding(?) off the sides due to the shape, and you tend to try and "grip" the pedal with foot/toes more to compensate, or at least put more effort into trying to stay on the pedal. Concave (or at least flat) pedals seem to alleviate this and feel like they cup the foot better.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
She’s got a pair of Ride Concepts and she’s tried loosening them off and wearing different shoes but it seems to make no difference.
Has she got high, medium or low arches in her feet, or is she flatfooted? has she got aftermarket insoles with some appropriate level of arch support?
if not why not?

treble

Likes Dirt
Have you tried different pedals? I noticed that convex pedals & (to a lesser degree) smaller platforms made it worse (at least for me - ymmv)
Was gonna suggest this. I have heard of people getting “hot spots” using flats with a smaller platform. You said you tried a number of different shoes. Perhaps a larger platform pedal? It may also lead to less toe curling as feet might feel more secure.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Left field thought, but is her suspension setup plush enough for her? I assume she’s not riding a hardtail.
She rides a Specialized Rumor dually and it's no modern enduro bike bit it's not a stiff XC bike either. I am looking for a new bike for her with a bit more squish for her not that her skills are improving. Something like a Liv Intrigue (the womens version of the Trance X)

Stredda

Have you tried different pedals? I noticed that convex pedals & (to a lesser degree) smaller platforms made it worse (at least for me - ymmv). Went and bought the biggest and most concave pedals I could find and it vastly improved.

Was gonna suggest this. I have heard of people getting “hot spots” using flats with a smaller platform. You said you tried a number of different shoes. Perhaps a larger platform pedal? It may also lead to less toe curling as feet might feel more secure.
My theory behind the convex part is that on convex pedals your feet feel more like they're drooping/sliding(?) off the sides due to the shape, and you tend to try and "grip" the pedal with foot/toes more to compensate, or at least put more effort into trying to stay on the pedal. Concave (or at least flat) pedals seem to alleviate this and feel like they cup the foot better.
Might be worth a try, I have some flats that I can swap and test out.

Stredda

Perhaps she could see a podiatrist. It's their job to know feet.
Worked for me when my feet got old and hurt a lot.
Yes, I think a Podiatrist and/or a GP will be the go if changing a few different things on the bike doesn't help.

Jpez

Down on the left!
She rides a Specialized Rumor dually and it's no modern enduro bike bit it's not a stiff XC bike either. I am looking for a new bike for her with a bit more squish for her not that her skills are improving. Something like a Liv Intrigue (the womens version of the Trance X)
Completely off topic but why (don’t answer that it’s rhetorical) are women specific MTB names so naff??? Spec Rumour , Giant/Liv Tempt, Intrigue, Embolden, Pique, Scott Contessa. Sounds like the marketing department used a Mills &Boon novel for inspiration!
There’s even a Pivot Les. Are the ‘boys’ at Pivot head office having a laff with that one? I’d refuse to ride one of these stupidly named bikes just out of principal if I was a woman.

PJO

in me vL comy
Pivot Les
Pretty sure the Pivot Les is not a women's specific frame, it is a hardtail.
I think the name is a play on words: pivotless i.e. no rear suspension.

EDIT: back on topic. I only ever had issues with my feet when using shoes that weren't stiff enough...

Stredda

Completely off topic but why (don’t answer that it’s rhetorical) are women specific MTB names so naff??? Spec Rumour , Giant/Liv Tempt, Intrigue, Embolden, Pique, Scott Contessa. Sounds like the marketing department used a Mills &Boon novel for inspiration!
There’s even a Pivot Les. Are the ‘boys’ at Pivot head office having a laff with that one? I’d refuse to ride one of these stupidly named bikes just out of principal if I was a woman.
Yes I do kind of agree, maybe women like it? As a bloke I can't really comment, I'll ask my wife lol
Not many brands do womens specific bikes now anyway.