Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Flow-Rider

Burner
…or realised there’s going to be f***-all money to be made from servicing EVs. Reads like a virtue-signalling puff-piece, though agree with you it’s moronic that cars are engineered around such a short product cycle.
A lot of the taxi driven Toyota Priuses end up on the scrap heap just after 10 years here, I've seen near perfect cars at the wreckers because the battery needs to be replaced.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
…or realised there’s going to be f***-all money to be made from servicing EVs. Reads like a virtue-signalling puff-piece, though agree with you it’s moronic that cars are engineered around such a short product cycle.
I knew a bunch of ford engineers. Elec and mech.

The design goal on new products back in 2018 was 120k km product life.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ex cabs pre covid were lucky to get around 6k and the cost in actually replacing the battery is quite expensive I believe.
Looks pretty damn easy in this video…

Suspect it’s just another case of “don’t go to a dealer unless you like being bent over…”.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its even things like suspension geometry and how they deal with centre of gravity. Its why a dedicated EV platform is so important, not a converted ICE platform like a Leaf or Kona etc.
I believe Leaf was always a dedicated EV platform - albeit not the contemporary skateboard type design.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I believe Leaf was always a dedicated EV platform - albeit not the contemporary skateboard type design.
No, it’s an adapted platform that shared with Renault (primarily a Renault design) that’s been used on many Renault and Nissan ICE models.

It’s a heavily modified version of course and probably enough new bits in it to call it a new platform, but not a clean sheet EV platform.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The design goal on new products back in 2018 was 120k km product life.
This has been the goal of all ICE maufacturers. 120k and stuff starts going to shit, and costs a fortune to replace so they make their money on spares and/or new car. Meanwhile Tesla are making changes daily, in production, this should theoretically extend the life of their cars. This was a really interesting podcast that covers a lof of the nay-saying about Tesla:

I love the idea of re-manufacturing cars with replacement EV drivetrains and the manufacturers are the ones that can scale it properly to make it a good value proposition, because it's just too expensive to do custom jobs ATM.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I saw this the other day and it kind of made sense. In a perfect world where we didn't have nuclear accidents or the waste was stored appropriately, nuclear certainly sounds like the way forward. Coupled with Gates' investment in "doing it right" we may be seeing it as a standard in the future.

was interesting to hear this from somone who had a background in alternative green energy

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I saw this the other day and it kind of made sense. In a perfect world where we didn't have nuclear accidents or the waste was stored appropriately, nuclear certainly sounds like the way forward. Coupled with Gates' investment in "doing it right" we may be seeing it as a standard in the future.

was interesting to hear this from somone who had a background in alternative green energy
That guy is a total knob. Ignore him....