The Single Speed Thread

cammas

Seamstress
Yeah stole from there, he is a super nice dude who builds bikes out of his shed, another bloke I know got him to build one with Rohloff hub and is putting plenty of miles on it.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
HI Single Speed Brains Trust

Me again, asking for some advice.
My now-3yo is now riding a bike and I need to keep up with the little blighter so am looking at a bike to keep up with him.
I've also been taking him to the pump track and using my 140mm trail bike at trail pressures - I really enjoy it and so does he
What I'm looking for is a singlespeed I can cruise along the bike path to keep up with him, but also take to the pump track and have some fun, and maybe put some gears on down the track. I was looking at picking up a cheap BMX for dicking about, but can't do bike path cruises that easily.
There isn't a lot of a market in WA for this type of bike, so pretty limited to the below as secondhand is non-existent here
What I've seen so far is:
  • Surly Lowside - love it but expensive. Looks like a hoot, and I can fit a dropper if I need to. Can get one locally for 2.3k
  • Surly Karate Monkey - as above, but less fun for pump tracks. Also would be a custom build and about 1.5k frame only.
  • Kona Unit - hate the colour, more of a tourer/bike packer than what I'm after
  • WTP Avenger - Love the looks, looks like a heap of fun but a touch expensive. Cable discs and no option to gear. Around 1.7k
  • Fairdale Taj - Similar to the Avenger, but has BMX-style caliper brakes instead of disks. 1.2k
The Taj is probably the frontrunner at the minute given the price and geometry but wanting to see if there is anything else I should consider?

Rorschach

I saw this the other day when I was looking to see if they still did the On One Inbred. I'm not sure about a DJ, but if I was there are a few around secondhand here rather than building something up. I had a mate that had one of the original ones back when I was a youngster in the UK and they looked awesome, so its an option but probably down the list

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I saw this the other day when I was looking to see if they still did the On One Inbred. I'm not sure about a DJ, but if I was there are a few around secondhand here rather than building something up. I had a mate that had one of the original ones back when I was a youngster in the UK and they looked awesome, so its an option but probably down the list
A friend of mine still has his Planet X Daktari. I told him he's not allowed to sell it to anybody bar me :D

Rorschach

A friend of mine still has his Planet X Daktari. I told him he's not allowed to sell it to anybody bar me :D
I had a Sintesi Thruster with orange Z1s my mate sold me, I loved that bike. Gave it to my brother when I moved to Sydney

I loved my old Honzo if you can find one.
I have a general Honzo ST boner, but getting one means a custom build and there are cheaper options for bike path and pump track though. If I were to seriously look at the Surlys then this would also feature in my considerations with how versatile they are, although they're built around a fork with decent travel so an older frame would likely be better if I can get hold of one

iconic

Likes Dirt
I have a medium Trek 69er and medium All City Log Lady if you are interested. Both are SS specific with horizontal dropouts and no derailleur hanger

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Rorschach

I have a medium Trek 69er and medium All City Log Lady if you are interested. Both are SS specific with horizontal dropouts and no derailleur hanger

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
Hmm, that Log Lady looks interesting

Rorschach

Buy a DJ bike?
New canyon looks schmick.
A fair few on sale here, but don’t think it’s got the more leisurely aspect to it, probably want a balance of laid back and pump track to anything, although that may be asking a bit

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I have a medium Trek 69er
Is it 2008's root beer coloured model with the Maverick USD forks? I think I saw someone riding one of them at Bruce Ridge recently, was my first sighting in over a decade.

I'm looking for is a singlespeed I can cruise along the bike path to keep up with him, but also take to the pump track and have some fun, and maybe put some gears on down the track.
I know this is the SS thread and all, but if there's anything resembling an uphill he's going to be struggling to do 5kmh and you're probably going to want some low, low gears to ride alongside and give him a bit of a push. I found assisting while pedalling 32:16 @ 26" (or similar) doesn't work well.

Meanwhile, I hope to get this rideable in a few days:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Is it 2008's root beer coloured model with the Maverick USD forks? I think I saw someone riding one of them at Bruce Ridge recently, was my first sighting in over a decade.

I know this is the SS thread and all, but if there's anything resembling an uphill he's going to be struggling to do 5kmh and you're probably going to want some low, low gears to ride alongside and give him a bit of a push. I found assisting while pedalling 32:16 @ 26" (or similar) doesn't work well.

Meanwhile, I hope to get this rideable in a few days:
View attachment 385886
I had a 2009 Garry Fisher Rig in root beer that I sold to a mate that lives near Bruce Ridge so may have been him, still irritated with myself for selling it.

Rorschach

Hi Singlespeed Team
Been looking at chucking some more relaxed tyres on my Honzo for cruising around and maybe some light offroading/railtrailing
I've been also been lusting after a singlespeeder for quite a while and keep coming back to the aesthetic, and the adjustable sliders was one reason I bought the Honzo so I could look at it down the track. That time is now.
It looks like I can get a Microspline singlespeed kit from Reverse Components in either a 13- or 14-tooth.
Question is, would the 32t chainring on the front be too much for bunting about, pump track and general hoonery?