BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Roof racks question:

What's a good option for 2 MTB's, wheels on, for a smallish hatchback? Clamping to frame, yay or nay?
I had a couple of second hand 591s for five years. Now have four 598s on my VW Passat wagon.

The 598 design is much better in lots of ways (bike stays upright before clamp closed, clamp surface more mouldable, wheel clamp mech better, wheel clamp tray stronger (required!), easier to keep wheel straps out of way when loading)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Roof racks question:

What's a good option for 2 MTB's, wheels on, for a smallish hatchback? Clamping to frame, yay or nay?
Brother in law has front wheel off racks and hates the faffing with wheels and different axle standards.
I also had the Thule 591s but changed when carbon entered the fray (paranoia, I know) so sold them and went with the Yakima Frontloader, no issues and very little difference in build quality compared with the Thule. As mentioned above Yakima also have a newer -more expensive- model as well, Highroad I think it's called.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Roof racks question:

Brother in law has front wheel off racks and hates the faffing with wheels and different axle standards.
Look at Yakima. No clamping on frame. Front wheel is supported and rear is strapped down.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Roof racks question:

What sort of car? I still advocate a tow bar and platform rack - even on something as little as the Clio I once had.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@Labcanary I've got one of those Wispbar carriers, the ones on this webpage that I've just found, which that Wispbar is consolidating with Yakima https://whispbar.com.au/

You can see in the pic the carrier that I'm referring too. When I bought it, it was one of the most expensive and I'm not sure it was worth it. The racks and the carrier are definitely quiet - no whistles or wind rush - but I find the construction and materials a bit lacking. The ratchet system burrs and strips because the plastic is too soft for the purpose and the locking system is far from smooth. In saying that, it holds the bike well and I have no problem at all putting aluminum frames in it.

I don't know if they will continue to make this specific carrier once they become a single company/entity.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
@Labcanary I've got one of those Wispbar carriers, the ones on this webpage that I've just found, which that Wispbar is consolidating with Yakima https://whispbar.com.au/

You can see in the pic the carrier that I'm referring too. When I bought it, it was one of the most expensive and I'm not sure it was worth it. The racks and the carrier are definitely quiet - no whistles or wind rush - but I find the construction and materials a bit lacking. The ratchet system burrs and strips because the plastic is too soft for the purpose and the locking system is far from smooth. In saying that, it holds the bike well and I have no problem at all putting aluminum frames in it.

I don't know if they will continue to make this specific carrier once they become a single company/entity.
re noise from roof bars - discovered this trick for shutting them up.

The Megane sedan and its genuine Renault (made by Thule) bars have a bizarre aerodynamic quirk where they resonate/hum like a bastard at 90kph. Wrapping some pvc tubing around the front one neatly changes the way the air flows over it and silences it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The Megane sedan and its genuine Renault (made by Thule) bars have a bizarre aerodynamic quirk where they resonate/hum like a bastard at 90kph. Wrapping some pvc tubing around the front one neatly changes the way the air flows over it and silences it.
Damn, wish I knew this earlier. My Thule rack would howl like crazy and then was the right height to clock you in the head as you got out of the car.
Fixing just one of these would have made me pretty happy.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Roof racks question:

Aforementioned hazards of driving into shit notwithstanding, Yakima.
Front Loader for smaller wheel sizes, Highroad for a solid rack that has 3 points of contact with the roof rack. Both are wheels on, no frame contact.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Stabiliser failure on my singletrail rack.

Spoke to them yesterday, apparently they had a batch of dud bolts.

They are sending out replacement parts to me.

Not much use at the moment as we are packing up to head to Queenstown in about an hour.

The bolt is an fine thread automotive style bolt but it will be Launceston Supercheap/Autobarn in about 6-7 days before I will get to see if it has stripped the stabilising rocker plate.

Wobbly rack until then... grab a spare if you are going travelling.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Stabiliser failure on my singletrail rack.

Spoke to them yesterday, apparently they had a batch of dud bolts.

They are sending out replacement parts to me.

Not much use at the moment as we are packing up to head to Queenstown in about an hour.

The bolt is an fine thread automotive style bolt but it will be Launceston Supercheap/Autobarn in about 6-7 days before I will get to see if it has stripped the stabilising rocker plate.

Wobbly rack until then... grab a spare if you are going travelling.

View attachment 384321
Got my old warrantied pivot in the shed in Bridport if you need parts in TAS hit me up if you need to try and rob parts.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk