Tailgate pads and ute canopies

nathanm

Eats Squid
Have a 2015 triton coming this week with a canopy. Does anyone use a tailgate pad to carry their bikes with a canopy on their ute? Can you make it work as a temporary solution till I sort a vertical rack.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have a 2015 triton coming this week with a canopy. Does anyone use a tailgate pad to carry their bikes with a canopy on their ute? Can you make it work as a temporary solution till I sort a vertical rack.
As in leave the rear window open? That has always scared me, as the glass looks expensive and possibly hard to source.

If you only need to carry one bike then front wheel off and in she goes. Not sure how well bikes would fit under some canopies either.

Lucaw

Next in line
We have a 2018 triton that has a canopy, and with the flap up and a tail pad on, we can fi 4-5 bikes in the back

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an Amarok with a canopy and can do it, just takes a bit of jiggling to get bikes in.
Would not want to do more than 2 in mine as the logistics of it become very difficult.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I haven't done it with bikes, but when I've had to carry a load that requires the back window to be open, I've tied it off with some rope to the roof racks to prevent it slamming shut. It wouldn't take much to overcome the gas struts and if it slams hard enough I am sure it will break.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Yep - do this all the time for convenience - 3 bikes easy - any more and stacking become problematic. I also usually keep it to short trips as if it's more than a 20 min trip I'll take the effort and put the vertical rack on. My ute doesn't seem to have the problem of wheels covering the lights tho.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Just be aware you will get pinged by traffic branch (at least here in Queensland) if your wheels obscure your number plate -
"The characters on a number plate must be visible from 20m away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle".

Good for shuttling on a quiet dirt road, not so good for road use!

Minlak

custom titis
Just be aware you will get pinged by traffic branch (at least here in Queensland) if your wheels obscure your number plate -
"The characters on a number plate must be visible from 20m away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle".

Good for shuttling on a quiet dirt road, not so good for road use!
Go to Tas Plates - Put in your combination of number plate - then use snipping tool to cut around the displayed plate - Then paste into word and make it the right size - Laminate - Punch 2 holes in it - secure to your bikes on the back of the vehicle - done!!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Go to Tas Plates - Put in your combination of number plate - then use snipping tool to cut around the displayed plate - Then paste into word and make it the right size - Laminate - Punch 2 holes in it - secure to your bikes on the back of the vehicle - done!!

View attachment 383986
I've got about 20 sets of @moorey plates if anyone wants a set. Just don't try and rip me off by paying with @Minlak credit card, that sucker is still maxxed out.