Airtags and GPS bike tracking

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm keen on this idea, but what if the thieving dirtbag also has an iphone

AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.
Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that’s after a couple of days, so it does buy you some time :)

edit: if the thief has a current gen iPhone and heads back home they’ll get an alert if I understand it correctly.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I think that’s after a couple of days, so it does buy you some time :)

edit: if the thief has a current gen iPhone and heads back home they’ll get an alert if I understand it correctly.
And then starts playing a sound, which means they will be able to easily find and most likely dispose of the tracker.

How about you lend me your SWORKS and we test it out? says me on a Samsung phone.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And then starts playing a sound, which means they will be able to easily find and most likely dispose of the tracker.

How about you lend me your SWORKS and we test it out? says me on a Samsung phone.
Will you give it back afterwards? …..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's a suppository...
if I knew how to insert GIFS to the forum I’d use that really really unimpressed kid blinking slowly right now. You know the one.
Actually I don’t, @moorey’s the GIF guy.

But I get the jist…
This is what leaps to my mind:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Funny that this thread has popped up. I was recently approached by another burner to provide some input for something like this. They are working on a concealable tracker that doesn't rely on other people's phones to let you know where your bike is, rather run off the G network. It sounds like it will be a handy thing for retrieving stolen bikes or similar property.

no idea why they thought I might have an experience with such unfortunate incidents?

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Funny that this thread has popped up. I was recently approached by another burner to provide some input for something like this. They are working on a concealable tracker that doesn't rely on other people's phones to let you know where your bike is, rather run off the G network. It sounds like it will be a handy thing for retrieving stolen bikes or similar property.

no idea why they thought I might have an experience with such unfortunate incidents?
so much room to hide them... now with ebikes,DI2, AXS and now electronic suspension ... plenty of options for power! i would love to be able to help, after have 2 high end bikes stolen from my house :(

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
so much room to hide them... now with ebikes,DI2, AXS and now electronic suspension ... plenty of options for power! i would love to be able to help, after have 2 high end bikes stolen from my house :(
Bike theft is a very disappointing experience.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just put one inside my rear tire insert, will it get smashed by a rock and then smash my Charbon rim? Time will tell. I was going to remove the speaker but couldn’t be arsed. Will post a pic in a bit.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Non apple user here, is there any point in me getting these or do I have to be signed up to the apple infrastructure?

Minlak

custom titis
Non apple user here, is there any point in me getting these or do I have to be signed up to the apple infrastructure?
To use the Apple infrastructure is the best way - There are other tags out there that do a similar job but only if in range and or if there is enough users to make it effective - it doesn't - the only way this actually works is the vastness of Apple users