Shimano mt200 brakes

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Howdy all, My boys 09 giant glory has avid elixir r brakes on it at the moment, the calipers are leaking and I think the whole system needs a rebuild.
Looking at rebuild kits it was cheaper to buy shimano mt200 brakes.
So I’m asking, having purchased the shimanos, should they mount in place of the avids, and do they need bleeding out of the box.
I will be removing the wheels and cleaning up the discs with brake cleaner and isopropyl alcohol. I have also been told to go over the discs with some fine wet and dry sandpaper to give them a good key for the new pads.
Any other suggestions?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The new brakes should come pre-bled but you will likely have a big mess of hose if you don’t shorten the hoses.

It’s a pretty easy job and if you’re careful, and want to, you can generally get them working well without bleeding after shortening the hoses. Best to give them a bleed though.

I’d be suspicious of those rotors if they’ve been sitting for years with Avids leaking fluid on them.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The mt200 are a good brake. They have more modulation than other Shimano 2 pots due to lacking servo wave.

To avoid having to bleed you will need a good line cutter and olive driving tool. If you are happy to do a bleed then you can get away with using worse tools.

The stock pads are rubbish. Shimano, Ebc or Clarks sintered are good. Uberbike race matrix is better.

Avoid Shimano rotors. The Uberbike rotors are good. Get the biggest ones you can fit. Don't forget to buy appropriate adapters at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The mt200 are a good brake. They have more modulation than other Shimano 2 pots due to lacking servo wave.
No, it's more to do with the flex through the long four-finger levers... ServoWave has shitloads of modulation, but you do need to learn to ride the cam to get the feel for it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sorta.. the ServoWave cam gives the master piston an extra kick early in the lever stroke to get pad contact, but once the cam has advanced the leverage equalises and you then get more stroke to play with for fine control. If you're tuned in, you can feel where the cam is rolling off in the stroke, and you have a really workable brake.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Sorta.. the ServoWave cam gives the master piston an extra kick early in the lever stroke to get pad contact, but once the cam has advanced the leverage equalises and you then get more stroke to play with for fine control. If you're tuned in, you can feel where the cam is rolling off in the stroke, and you have a really workable brake.
Jeez, I have no such super power. For me it's brake goes on, brake goes off. Though in my case it's mostly brake goes on.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Metal compound pads help, because they're less grabby & more progressive in their application. But have fun finding metals that will fit in the MT200s....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes