The QUICK question thread.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Slippery fuckers everywhere here! Coal, ice, meth, hookers, crooked cops, and of course...greased lightening.

I m very much in the red zone there.
They're everywhere, I had a bloke on foot try and snatch a bike from the back of my ute while I was stationary at a set of traffic lights, it was just lucky I had the bike strapped down. All my bikes are uninsured, it's a PITA but I lock them with chains and cable locks all the time in the garage.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They're everywhere, I had a bloke on foot try and snatch a bike from the back of my ute while I was stationary at a set of traffic lights, it was just lucky I had the bike strapped down. All my bikes are uninsured, it's a PITA but I lock them with chains and cable locks all the time in the garage.
Did you reverse over them. You know, in self defence.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

mark22

Likes Dirt
Do people use anything (grease/carbon paste/ KY etc) when fitting bars to stems or just dry and correctly torqued? I always put a bit of carbon paste when fitting my bars to the stem but I've told to run them dry... Paint me curious.
Definitely use carbon paste on carbon bars, stem and shifters/brake mounts. I've had trouble with brakes rotating without it on carbon bars correctly torqued, and you certainly don't want the bars rotating in the stem.
I never use anything on aluminium bars.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Do people use anything (grease/carbon paste/ KY etc) when fitting bars to stems or just dry and correctly torqued? I always put a bit of carbon paste when fitting my bars to the stem but I've told to run them dry... Paint me curious.
Carbon assembly paste on most things, even places like seat rails.

I did have a set of Guide RSC's that with the clamp fully tightened it maxed out and wouldnt get a grip on the bars, I used a needle file on one of the surfaces to take a bees dick off, was able to torque them properly after that.

A step up from normal assembly paste is effetto Mariposa Carbo Grip, this stuff is sticky and nearly likened to an adhesive. This was the stuff that fixed the massive issues with the first Niner Eccentric BB's creaking but semi dries as a glue, also great for problematic pressfit BB's.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Carbon assembly paste on most things, even places like seat rails.

I did have a set of Guide RSC's that with the clamp fully tightened it maxed out and wouldnt get a grip on the bars, I used a needle file on one of the surfaces to take a bees dick off, was able to torque them properly after that.

A step up from normal assembly paste is effetto Mariposa Carbo Grip, this stuff is sticky and nearly likened to an adhesive. This was the stuff that fixed the massive issues with the first Niner Eccentric BB's creaking but semi dries as a glue, also great for problematic pressfit BB's.
African or European or Australian?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Thoughts on welding the crack on my Banshee Titan seat tube? Made from 7005 T6 aluminium. Am I correct in thinking that if I weld and then leave sitting around in my shed not ridden the metal will eventually normalise and get back to close to its original strength?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thoughts on welding the crack on my Banshee Titan seat tube? Made from 7005 T6 aluminium. Am I correct in thinking that if I weld and then leave sitting around in my shed not ridden the metal will eventually normalise and get back to close to its original strength?
View attachment 383062

@ozzybmx has a paste that will set almost like glue. It fixed a problematic bottom bracket on one of his bikes a while ago. maybe try that first.

Should do the trick

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Rough memory (from about 15 years ago) is that it would need a proper heat treat cycle. The crystaline structure of the metal won't change just sitting there at normal temperatures, it has to all be heated up as one so the grain structure evens out (IIRC).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Rough memory (from about 15 years ago) is that it would need a proper heat treat cycle. The crystaline structure of the metal won't change just sitting there at normal temperatures, it has to all be heated up as one so the grain structure evens out (IIRC).
^^^^^^ish

Depending on alloy and what heat treatment, if any, but probably, was already done. Solution treatment needs to be 150-200C. Assuming it is 6061 T6 then to get Mg2Si precipitates forming you need 160C for 4 to 6 hours will do the trick without impacting on the hardness or ductility of previous treatments. I have solution heat treated some fabricated T6 in a household oven...

Bike (frame) IN oven then bike ON oven for pics.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
^^^^^^ish

Depending on alloy and what heat treatment, if any, but probably, was already done. Solution treatment needs to be 150-200C. Assuming it is 6061 T6 then to get Mg2Si precipitates forming you need 160C for 4 to 6 hours will do the trick without impacting on the hardness or ductility of previous treatments. I have solution heat treated some fabricated T6 in a household oven...

Bike (frame) IN oven then bike ON oven for pics.
Aren't Banshees some funky 7XXX series alloy? I thought that required some more effort after welding.

Not sure tbh, been far too long since I learnt about any of this stuff...

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
From what I'm reading it seems that this alloy will regain it's strength after being aged some time (about a month) at room temperature. The process can be sped up with a low temp bake but I don't have an oven big enough nor am I in that much of a rush. Just need to find a decent welder and a crash test dummy suit.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
New job allows WFH but I have too buy my own monitors keyboard etc? Laptop is supplied. Is the norm? Friends workplaces supply equipment.

Only my first week and worked from home today as no one in the office. so mad dash to Officeworks to get a monitor as need secondary screen.

Guess I can claim it on tax?