Electric Vehicles etc

goobags

Likes Dirt
Interesting point of view, not sure how much I agree with it though. Bit of a brain dump below.

Typical car manufacturer has a ‘subscription fee’ of regular servicing charging over $120 an hour for an apprentice to do SFA and ‘keep your warranty’

ICE car manufacturers if they pulled their finger out could also do self driving cars. Self driving cars don’t have to be EV. They could also do smart connected cars but don’t (in Aus anyway)

I remember back in the Mk5 golf days trying to buy one with the safety package was a 12 week wait but could get anything else in the range immediately. Safety doesn’t sell unfortunately.

Gaming and TV industry have done subscription well. You almost always need to pay for a cloud service otherwise it will eventually stop working with no income stream apart from the initial purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
ICE car manufacturers if they pulled their finger out could also do self driving cars. Self driving cars don’t have to be EV.
ICE is dead, there will be no ICE self driving cars. ICE will barely exist in < 10 years. People who will continue to drive and make ICE don't want self driving cars (race boyz, 4wd boyz etc). ICE is so dead, it's no surprise they aren't making self driving cars.

Subscription, it's an intersting model that will happen. It needs to guarantee you a functioning car 24/7 for ten years (including if yours fucks out a loan one comes in a day) to be worth it in my eyes. A benefit I can see is try the full self driving subscription for a month and if you like it great, if not you can cancel and save money, just keep the standard safety package.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
It needs to guarantee you a functioning car 24/7 for ten years (including if yours fucks out a loan one comes in a day) to be worth it in my eyes.
Absolutely no chance!
You can't even get that with a luxury ICE car now. You'll be told to get it collected by a tilt tray (on your dime) and send it to the dealership (if one even exists - i.e. Tesla) and they'll get back to you when they have some answers. Or when you call enough times to find out what's taking so long

Flow-Rider

Burner
It is likely a kids toy that has been increased in size to accept "Adult-sized" passenger/s
Even the Yanks know how stupid Aussies are with spending on cars. I've said this story on here before because it happened 20 or so years ago. I had a trade schoolmate that was later a team leader at a Merc dealership, and he was sent to the US to do some tech classes on the bottom line cars that were sold at this dealership. Tech teacher tells the class that this car was affordable for the everyday yank, this bloke questioned why they weren't affordable for the commoner in Australia even with all the stamp duty removed, he simply said "because Aussies will pay it".

Scotty T

Walks the walk

"Australia is the world’s biggest lithium producer, third biggest cobalt producer, and fifth biggest nickel producer, and holds even higher ranks in terms of reserves, putting the country in a strong position for the surging demand for electric vehicle batteries and prompting some rosy outlooks."

It's sad that most Australians think we only have gas, coal and iron ore in the ground.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

"Australia is the world’s biggest lithium producer, third biggest cobalt producer, and fifth biggest nickel producer, and holds even higher ranks in terms of reserves, putting the country in a strong position for the surging demand for electric vehicle batteries and prompting some rosy outlooks."

It's sad that most Australians think we only have gas, coal and iron ore in the ground.
And I wouldn't bet long term on cobalt at least, Tesla and VW in particular are all about eliminating it.