COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
I thought so too, but after looking at the number of tests vs confirmed case numbers for the last 24 hours, I concede my opinion is unfounded.

The information is formatted differently state to state, but it is there.

NSW had 83,498 new tests in the 24 hours leading up to 8pm 10 October with 498 new cases in the same timeframe.

Vic had 73,138 test results received (last 24 hours) with 1,612 cases acquired locally (last 24 hours)
My thoughts were that places with lower case numbers were getting tested to the hilt, while those with more cases were not getting tested as much so either don’t know, or aren’t being picked up.
I have no evidence of this. I just think the fast dropping case numbers seems out of whack with what NSW are doing about the spread.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So my partner who works in a lab in a private hospital was just told that she may have no work for the next 3 months. Apparently as covid hospital cases are expected to increase as Melbourne opens up they are closing all non essential / elective services and clinics except for critical care to accommodate the influx...
Her work relies on people doing over night stays and respiratory testing, so without patients she has nothing to do.
Ugh...Freedom!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
My thoughts were that places with lower case numbers were getting tested to the hilt, while those with more cases were not getting tested as much so either don’t know, or aren’t being picked up.
I have no evidence of this. I just think the fast dropping case numbers seems out of whack with what NSW are doing about the spread.
They do have a breakdown of tests vs cases by LGA for NSW. It's too hard to navigate the map on my phone so I'll look into it later.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate the Melbourne vs. Sydney thing with a passion but according to data Sydney was more compliant in lockdown, with people even choosing to isolate before it was even made official.

And I would kind of expect cases to drop now after 4 months of lock down and pretty high vaccination rates.
Pretty sure testing rates in different areas are just a function of who rocks up at the testing center. Most of the time they are trying super hard to get areas with high infection rates tested - pop centres, etc.

moorey

call me Mia
I hate the Melbourne vs. Sydney thing with a passion but according to data Sydney was more compliant in lockdown, with people even choosing to isolate before it was even made official.

And I would kind of expect cases to drop now after 4 months of lock down and pretty high vaccination rates.
Pretty sure testing rates in different areas are just a function of who rocks up at the testing center. Most of the time they are trying super hard to get areas with high infection rates tested - pop centres, etc.
Fair enough. I’ll get back in my box. Anecdotally, NSW people didn’t seem that compliant, but that was only an outsider view. No more than Melbourne people at least.
It wasn’t an us V them thing. Most people in both states are doing the right thing, but both have too many who aren’t.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
From up north all we got was reports of everyone everywhere defying the isolation / lock down rules so it is hard to be objective. I worry somewhat about the home quarantine since we know how well that goes but hotel quarantine is just as shit. Given new Anna has just commissioned a quarantine facility near Toowoomoobooa I have no doubts that will be compulsory.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You just absolutely know NSW are fudging the covid figures based on today's numbers....
Cases reported go down, death numbers stay the same... The reason being, the system has more compulsory reporting on deaths that can't be fudged, unlike the case numbers.
Or perhaps there's a time lag from when there was 1700+ cases a day. It's Covid not Ebola.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Or people have just opted for "fuck it" and aren't testing anymore.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Or people have just opted for "fuck it" and aren't testing anymore.
It may be part of it. For greater sydney they pretty much stopped contact tracing and nominating locations as casual contacts. This meant nearly no one was flagged as a contact despite a rampant amount of cases. Throw that with a high percentage of vaccinated people it is likely that quite a few didn't have significant symptoms and didn't get tested as they weren't flagged. Basically contact tracing wasn't being done except for certain lose contact conditions that are pretty rare considering people weren't able to do those things in most circumstances anyway.

That's not to day that Victoria isn't just as bad with contact tracing. Both systems seem to fail once in the hundreds of cases a day, I have no opinion on which is better and neither can be considered gold standard.

I don't think the cases are intentionally underreported but I do believe there is likely enty of cases that haven't been identified yet in both Victoria and NSW. Is there a higher portion of these in NSW or Vic? No idea, but I doubt it is a massive difference.

Minlak

custom titis
It may be part of it. For greater sydney they pretty much stopped contact tracing and nominating locations as casual contacts. This meant nearly no one was flagged as a contact despite a rampant amount of cases. Throw that with a high percentage of vaccinated people it is likely that quite a few didn't have significant symptoms and didn't get tested as they weren't flagged. Basically contact tracing wasn't being done except for certain lose contact conditions that are pretty rare considering people weren't able to do those things in most circumstances anyway.

That's not to day that Victoria isn't just as bad with contact tracing. Both systems seem to fail once in the hundreds of cases a day, I have no opinion on which is better and neither can be considered gold standard.

I don't think the cases are intentionally underreported but I do believe there is likely enty of cases that haven't been identified yet in both Victoria and NSW. Is there a higher portion of these in NSW or Vic? No idea, but I doubt it is a massive difference.

Isn't part of the "Freedom" plan once you open up you only talk about vaccination rates and pretty much ignore all other information?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Isn't part of the "Freedom" plan once you open up you only talk about vaccination rates and pretty much ignore all other information?
Cowabunga dude! The surf's up and a wave is coming your way no matter how hard you (and other states like you) have worked to keep it out....

It may be part of it.
I live very close to 2 testing sites. Both have been ghost towns since a week or so before the picnic advent.

I wonder how many people in their heads are just going "Woot its over" and just ignoring it all - I got vaccinated its up to fate to sort the rest!
I am definitely hearing a lot of "so glad it's over" as small talk from customers...which clearly shows they don't really understand what has been happening. The lockdown is over, but the pandemic isn't! Seems to fall on deaf ears. So hopefully the reports we can just live life like normal are true and we aren't building for a sinister kick in the balls.

Last night I was barraged with outstretched hands begging to be shaken. I hate shaking penises I mean hands at the best of times, but right now? I ended up with half a dozen people I'd never meant all convinced they were coming to my place for kick ons thanks to one of my friend's big mouths. Nobody is coming for kick ons. I am not that exciting folks...I plan to go home for a wank and a good night's rest for work, sorry to disappoint.

LPG

likes thicc birds
That's our governments version, freedom from accountability (back to business as usual).

Cowabunga dude! The surf's up and a wave is coming your way no matter how hard you (and other states like you) have worked to keep it out....

I live very close to 2 testing sites. Both have been ghost towns since a week or so before the picnic advent.

I am definitely hearing a lot of "so glad it's over" as small talk from customers...which clearly shows they don't really understand what has been happening. The lockdown is over, but the pandemic isn't! Seems to fall on deaf ears. So hopefully the reports we can just live life like normal are true and we aren't building for a sinister kick in the balls.

Last night I was barraged with outstretched hands begging to be shaken. I hate shaking penises I mean hands at the best of times, but right now? I ended up with half a dozen people I'd never meant all convinced they were coming to my place for kick ons thanks to one of my friend's big mouths. Nobody is coming for kick ons. I am not that exciting folks...I plan to go home for a wank and a good night's rest for work, sorry to disappoint.
Not happy with what you have to say but I believe it unfortunately.