The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I made a variation of this tonight.

Cut the chicken into strips and wokked it in batches. Stir fried a sliced red onion and added the remaining marinade and thickened that, threw the chicken back in and sprinkled some shallots and chilli on top and served that on a bed of rice. Different taste to the usual honey soy and worth a go.

Sorry, forgot to take a pic.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I made a variation of this tonight.

Cut the chicken into strips and wokked it in batches. Stir fried a sliced red onion and added the remaining marinade and thickened that, threw the chicken back in and sprinkled some shallots and chilli on top and served that on a bed of rice. Different taste to the usual honey soy and worth a go.

Sorry, forgot to take a pic.
Worcestershire sauce is such an underrated ingredient, I love it!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have secured my position as "the wierd guy across the street" I think. Just sitting down to dinner now and it came with a slight mishap. I have cooked a 350g sirloin with saute of leeks and mushrooms, steamed Brussels and asparagus, and a garlic taragon pepper brandy ham sauce...it's fucking amazing!

In the process I was determined to get a really serious crust on this steak, while only cooking to rare. Instead of salt I used something I saw Marco Pierre White do which is make a paste of stock to coat the meat. Of course it seemed he had a sponsorship with a stock company at the time but it works nicely. I'm not sure it is better than salt or not, but it is different and good.

I had the big cast iron pan over the BIG flames and was too focussed to see the huge build up of smoke in my house and que smoke alarm! Now I generally cook in the nude, but as I intended a little flambe this evening I put a pair of shorts on. I'm waving a towel, I'm waving 2 towels, I'm up on a chair (ceiling is a "cathedral" style number) waving these towels, I'm up on the chair waving a pedestal fan...fucking alarm went on for about 15 minutes. Or comes a neighbour and sees me up on the chair waving towels and shaking my arse to some 80s tunes...I go out onto the balcony and he asks "are you dancing?" Ummmm...I think I've ruined my steak! "It smells good". Alarm finally stops.

Anyway I think the steak is slightly overdone, which I blame on leaving it in the pan while I did battle with the smoke.

Stove and bench top are a mess!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looks great poodle. I might have caused the firies to turn up at a resort after flame grilling some steaks at a resort... Shit happens. Steaks were great.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks great poodle. I might have caused the firies to turn up at a resort after flame grilling some steaks at a resort... Shit happens. Steaks were great.
Love a good sear!

Also...backed it up with this personal creation. Between now and when things reopen I'll need to work out the best way to answer "sooooooo why are your whiskey sours $25?"

Sticking with the theme of the night, I went a bit over the top! I gave this so much dry shake the lid popped off my shaker and a little pre-white crept out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Love a good sear!

Also...backed it up with this personal creation. Between now and when things reopen I'll need to work out the best way to answer "sooooooo why are your whiskey sours $25?"
Looks great. I don't care how it tastes. Have to keep that practice up.

Sticking with the theme of the night, I went a bit over the top! I gave this so much dry shake the lid popped off my shaker and a little pre-white crept out.
Errpppp.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You guys have to try this...
Served on a bed of potato and sweet potato with greens. So bloody good. Used potato starch to dust the chicken and added some herbs and garlic salt.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal