The QUICK question thread.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Because I already have 2 bikes with 180 on the front, and it has 140mm rear
With those old Bombers, just bang a 20mm spacer under the top out spring and hey presto - travel reduced.

Edit - wait, air or coil sprung?
Ed 2 - yeah fuck sorry ignore me, wrong fork, many years past o_O

Lucaw

Next in line
With those old Bombers, just bang a 20mm spacer under the top out spring and hey presto - travel reduced.

Edit - wait, air or coil sprung?
Ed 2 - yeah fuck sorry ignore me, wrong fork, many years past o_O
The 66s are coil sprung

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The 66s are coil sprung
Actually, contradicting myself again. Pretty sure it still works as I think the Marzocchis still use a circlip to hold the spring assembly in the upper, and a physical top out spring. Can you find out what model exactly it is?

Put a 20mm spacer (cut bit of old handlebar or PVC pipe) in between the little top out spring and the main spring seat above. It will slightly increase preload on your main spring when you reassemble but from 180-160mm not likely to be a major issue.

moorey

call me Mia
Where are you buying 12sp Shimano (shifter and cassette specifically) at the moment….
Or even a SLX cassette…..

Or aren’t you able to?

moorey

call me Mia
If you are in a jam PM me and I can strip 12spd parts off the spare bike (xt/xtr)
Cheers. Not so much a jam, but keen to try it out on his bike. Bought an XT derailleur a while back to try (and fail) to mix n match 11sp.
I’ve got XD, MS and HG drivers, so I have other cassette options….but not interested in HG with the 11t. Prefer to keep it all Shimano for the trial even though I run XD cassettes on everything else.
XTR is a bit fancy, and don’t want to leave you short seeing it sounds like the new norm. I’ll ask the LBS tomorrow, otherwise I’ll put up a WTB. SLX is fine in all reality. Cheers man.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Where are you buying 12sp Shimano (shifter and cassette specifically) at the moment….
Or even a SLX cassette…..

Or aren’t you able to?
Merlin gets stock randomly.

EDIT: Merlin has both Shifter and Derailleur in XT and SLX, no cassettes.

Last edited:

Lucaw

Next in line
Actually, contradicting myself again. Pretty sure it still works as I think the Marzocchis still use a circlip to hold the spring assembly in the upper, and a physical top out spring. Can you find out what model exactly it is?

Put a 20mm spacer (cut bit of old handlebar or PVC pipe) in between the little top out spring and the main spring seat above. It will slightly increase preload on your main spring when you reassemble but from 180-160mm not likely to be a major issue.

View attachment 380163
I have no idea and that’s what i am waiting to find out from @clockworked
If it does work, that will be awesome!!!

moorey

call me Mia
I have a XT 12spd 45-10 if you want that?
I think I'll stick with 51's seeing he's losing his 9t bottom end, and bump his front back up to 34t. Likes his high end speed. I could only get a long cage derailleur when I bought one a while back. Aren't they best with the 51, and the GS works better with the 45? Still a learning process for 12sp sorry.
I am going to hunt down some used spares as a back up until more stock returns though. I've never been without tons of spares, and its a daunting thought if we get a race season in the coming months.
Count me interested in the 10-45 if they work sweet with long cage as a backup, though a spare derailleur is more critical. Cheers.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I think I'll stick with 51's seeing he's losing his 9t bottom end, and bump his front back up to 34t. Likes his high end speed. I could only get a long cage derailleur when I bought one a while back. Aren't they best with the 51, and the GS works better with the 45? Still a learning process for 12sp sorry.
I am going to hunt down some used spares as a back up until more stock returns though. I've never been without tons of spares, and its a daunting thought if we get a race season in the coming months.
Count me interested in the 10-45 if they work sweet with long cage as a backup, though a spare derailleur is more critical. Cheers.
I bought it to try with a long cage as an experiment.
IMO it works but is not as smooth as running matchy-matchy. Others on here disagree with me.
Now sitting in the parts drawer, so if you want to try it let me know.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Anyone else feel slower on their 29er, but get faster times?

I'm feeling sluggish on the bike recently. Could be the coil with a softer spring I'm using I'm the rear, but not clear to me yet (need to swap back to air for a few rides).
Some sections I know i get a good flow going, tip the bike into corners, get off the brakes early etc and I feel faster.
But mostly I feel like I get hung up on rocky bits, my suspension bogs down after drops, and I have to pedal to get back up to speed.

But then after all that I get home, check out the stravas, and I'm getting close to my best times i ever had on my 650b even though I'm not as fit as i was then.

(#Maybe it's 29er, maybe it's Maybelline?)

moorey

call me Mia
Anyone else feel slower on their 29er, but get faster times?

I'm feeling sluggish on the bike recently. Could be the coil with a softer spring I'm using I'm the rear, but not clear to me yet (need to swap back to air for a few rides).
Some sections I know i get a good flow going, tip the bike into corners, get off the brakes early etc and I feel faster.
But mostly I feel like I get hung up on rocky bits, my suspension bogs down after drops, and I have to pedal to get back up to speed.

But then after all that I get home, check out the stravas, and I'm getting close to my best times i ever had on my 650b even though I'm not as fit as i was then.

(#Maybe it's 29er, maybe it's Maybelline?)
You’ve drunk the kool aid.
Jokes aside, my mates tend to report this also. Personally I’d rather FEEL fast than GO fast…but I’m old. That said, my lap times on 26 are currently a lot faster than my 27.5 times.

Minlak

custom titis
You’ve drunk the kool aid.
Jokes aside, my mates tend to report this also. Personally I’d rather FEEL fast than GO fast…but I’m old. That said, my lap times on 26 are currently a lot faster than my 27.5 times.
Cause you rode your 26 20 years ago - your ummm old now - sorry to break it to you like this - that's why your times are slower