The Woodwork thread

slowmick

38-39"
@Jpez - looks great - raw timber scares me - I can't hide my mistakes. Sadly my wife loves it. Did you make up the shelf planks (guessing names) or did you buy them pre -glued?

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez - looks great - raw timber scares me - I can't hide my mistakes. Sadly my wife loves it. Did you make up the shelf planks (guessing names) or did you buy them pre -glued?
It’s a bit cheating in my game but it’s is Vic Ash pre-lam 330x25 sanded to 80 grit. Makes life heaps easier for me and heaps cheaper for the customer if they want a light mild featured timber. But with recycled timber you always choose the lengths yourself and laminate. I can spend way too long spinning 3 sticks of timber around finding just the right way to orient them or annoying the fellas at the timber yard pulling out an entire rack of timber looking for just the right piece! Tortured artist haha.
But using max feature recycled Australian hardwood. Takes days to biscuit/glue/lam/resin fill/sand.
Like this work bench I made. My goal was to try and make look like one slab of timber. Other times I’ll deliberately choose varying shades of the same timber. Other times it’s pot luck what comes out of the rack. The waterfall the same. All hand chosen
th

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For my Jarrah entertainment unit and CD and DVD cases I had to join boards for the shelves because the sizes available were all too narrow. Now I cannot even get Jarrah. Biscuits worked a treat. When I join the kwila slabs for the letter box I will kreg those me thinks.

Again lovely work.

Jpez

Down on the left!
For my Jarrah entertainment unit and CD and DVD cases I had to join boards for the shelves because the sizes available were all too narrow. Now I cannot even get Jarrah. Biscuits worked a treat. When I join the kwila slabs for the letter box I will kreg those me thinks.

Again lovely work.
I remember when I was about 17 I walked past what was once an old telecom depot being demolished. Every bit of framing in the buildings was Jarrah. Stumps,bearers, joist, studs etc. I kid you not. Never seen anything like it. There were mountains of jarrah stacked 20ft high. I walked in and asked the forman for a few sticks for a coffee table. When he stopped laughing about 30 min later he said I could go and grab some that had been rejected from a building. Too short or something. So I did. I made a coffee table which is still in my living room today.
I would love a Domino system but I’m still not fancy enough to afford one so biscuits it still is.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I remember when I was about 17 I walked past what was once an old telecom depot being demolished. Every bit of framing in the buildings was Jarrah. Stumps,bearers, joist, studs etc. I kid you not. Never seen anything like it. There were mountains of jarrah stacked 20ft high. I walked in and asked the forman for a few sticks for a coffee table. When he stopped laughing about 30 min later he said I could go and grab some that had been rejected from a building. Too short or something. So I did. I made a coffee table which is still in my living room today.
I would love a Domino system but I’m still not fancy enough to afford one so biscuits it still is.
You really need a domino machine. They are a game changer. If you do a lot of mitre work they are your best friend as well as ratchet straps. I took a while to buy one but once I tried one I was sold. I looked at it as time is money. Now I own 2. Small one for window Sachs and mitre work and the large one for doors and any large Sashs.
I still biscuit all my laminations but the accuracy of a domino machine is a game changer.

Jpez

Down on the left!
You really need a domino machine. They are a game changer. If you do a lot of mitre work they are your best friend as well as ratchet straps. I took a while to buy one but once I tried one I was sold. I looked at it as time is money. Now I own 2. Small one for window Sachs and mitre work and the large one for doors and any large Sashs.
I still biscuit all my laminations but the accuracy of a domino machine is a game changer.
Yeah I know. I’ve seen firsthand how good they are and one is definitely on the list. One day.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heaps of buildings in WA have used Jarrah really extensively, really was shockingly wasted for a long time. My floorboards, joists, bearers, roof framing (on the original house not the extension) is all Jarrah (1950's house)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Heaps of buildings in WA have used Jarrah really extensively, really was shockingly wasted for a long time. My floorboards, joists, bearers, roof framing (on the original house not the extension) is all Jarrah (1950's house)
I love working with Jarrah and how it looks after.