The youtube and google video thread (MTB and non-MTB vids)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'll add nada.

"It's definitely steepening up now" o_O

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Definitely not all wine and roses with the HP bikes. Lots of pros and cons.
Sounds like correct shock choice and tune is paramount. Just sent a message off to EXT.
obviously :D I need one
It has me re-thinking a HP as my next bike. Hmm…

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely not all wine and roses with the HP bikes. Lots of pros and cons.
Sounds like correct shock choice and tune is paramount. Just sent a message off to EXT.
obviously :D I need one
It's an interesting watch, but certainly didnt go into buying mine thinking they'd be a revolution. Almost every suspension design is a trade off of some sort.

Found that out the tune issue first hand after my first ride. Unfortunately the DHX2 was second hand off marketplace and the tune ID has been peeled off. I might have to send it to NSDynamics to get them to figure it out.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
It has me re-thinking a HP as my next bike. Hmm…
Mines almost here and it’s got me re thinking my purchase! I’ll just stay the course and hope i get along with it. Not much choice out there at the moment anyway.
I rang Super Sports about a XL Sentinal, the only other bike out there giving me a boner and Robbie- what legend that guy is!- said he really has no idea whatsoever when he’ll se a xl Sentinal.
Most People on the FB page Froth over it. So I guess it’ll be a suck it and see situation. There is a lot to like about what I hear from actual owners, not just a dude that’s had 2 days to ride it , and a few things I’ll just have to see for myself.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mines almost here and it’s got me re thinking my purchase! I’ll just stay the course and hope i get along with it. Not much choice out there at the moment anyway.
I rang Super Sports about a XL Sentinal, the only other bike out there giving me a boner and Robbie- what legend that guy is!- said he really has no idea whatsoever when he’ll se a xl Sentinal.
Most People on the FB page Froth over it. So I guess it’ll be a suck it and see situation. There is a lot to like about what I hear from actual owners, not just a dude that’s had 2 days to ride it , and a few things I’ll just have to see for myself.
I had a bit of a 'shit, what have I done moment' when I watched that video and read the specific review of the Druid. It's certainly at odds with the other reviews that I've read and the few hundred pages of the MTBR thread.

I don't get the sizing issue. Just size up or down. I'm perpetually between sizes - so it's an absolute win for me.

His other issues on both bikes all seem to stem from having an incorrectly setup or tuned shock. I'm not running the stock shock and suspected it might take a bit more finessing to get the right setup.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I had a bit of a 'shit, what have I done moment' when I watched that video and read the specific review of the Druid. It's certainly at odds with the other reviews that I've read and the few hundred pages of the MTBR thread.

I don't get the sizing issue. Just size up or down. I'm perpetually between sizes - so it's an absolute win for me.

His other issues on both bikes all seem to stem from having an incorrectly setup or tuned shock. I'm not running the stock shock and suspected it might take a bit more finessing to get the right setup.
Yep exactly the same. Agreed.
I watched it with a sinking feeling. But then had exactly the same thoughts as you. This guy just has the wrong shock/tune in it and the well known stiffness in the linkages on the Deviate which work their way out after time probably didn’t help either.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep exactly the same. Agreed.
I watched it with a sinking feeling. But then had exactly the same thoughts as you. This guy just has the wrong shock/tune in it and the well known stiffness in the linkages on the Deviate which work their way out after time probably didn’t help either.
Either that or the Kool-aid is still working its magic on me....

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought it was remarkably honest. These days the 'reviews' are more like advertorials so it's nice to see people discussing things more deeply and trying different shocks/tunes/setups to understand what's going on.
I hate the standard Pink Bike routine: list the geo, list the spec, parrot the marketing hype, ride and then a shit sandwich at the end.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It poses an interesting question about how much weight matters and where you might draw the line.

You could get a number of bikes with 150mm travel that could be significantly lighter than a Druid (2kg+), so is a really heavy, short travel bike better at handling the rough stuff than a light 150mm bike?
Do the purported benefits of the high pivot outweigh the losses for the majority of riding which isn't based on the chunky gnar (Particularly in Australia)

I know there's plenty here who have jumped on board, just thinking out loud.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How these dudes didn't win I'll never know...

I know all riders at this level take risks, but damn Brage put his body on the line for his edit. It's like, "Yeah Brage, we built you a lander...". The lander's at the bottom of a huge drop-down, is only about 5m longer and then just fires him into saplings, tree stumps, rocks, mud and water. Then he sends it anyway. Dude's a beast.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
How these dudes didn't win I'll never know...

I know all riders at this level take risks, but damn Brage put his body on the line for his edit. It's like, "Yeah Brage, we built you and lander...". The lander's at the bottom of a huge drop-down, is only about 5m longer and then just fires him into saplings, tree stumps, rocks, mud and water. Then he sends it anyway. Dude's a beast.

That's pretty crazy stuff! Not quite sustainable trail building lol

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's pretty crazy stuff! Not quite sustainable trail building lol
Yeah, I did think about that, but still probably better than most of the other excavator-built lines/features in the competition. It does seem a bit pointless to make features that are single-use only though (generally, not just this vid/comp).

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah, I did think about that, but still probably better than most of the other excavator-built lines/features in the competition. It does seem a bit pointless to make features that are single-use only though (generally, not just this vid/comp).
I notice that is similar to a lot of those insane slab and Northshore lines in BC too. The feature is just there on it's own, not part of any trail. Maybe because a lot of them are illegal builds and would be too nuts for a legit trail network.