The HiFi thread

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You'll need to be a bit careful with a modern amplifier as those drivers have a far higher impedance than many modern amplifiers can manage without... melting? They are however glorious. And you'll need to do more research...
The pittance of research I've done suggested it was the other way around. Lower impedance was harder on the lower end amps. Like what I'm kinda looking for. It may be what killed the stereo's power supply...... :rolleyes:

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
The pittance of research I've done suggested it was the other way around. Lower impedance was harder on the lower end amps. Like what I'm kinda looking for. It may be what killed the stereo's power supply...... :rolleyes:
The lower the impedance the higher the RMS output and Amperage an amplifier needs to be able to output.

Some speakers have impedance swings as low as 2 or even 0 ohm, these speakers need an amplifier with a strong high watt power supply and high microfarad capacitance.

People often think if an amp has 200W written on the back that is how much it outputs, in actual fact that figure is the max power draw (from a 240v socket) under heaviest load but actual speaker power output may be as low as 40W RMS into 8ohm

Speaker sensitivity is also a big factor that has to be considered, the higher a speaker's sensitivity in dB the easier it is to power so an 8ohm speaker with a 102dB sensitivity could be powered by as little as 4 or 8 watts.

Also THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) comes into play, the lower the THD the cleaner the sound signal.

30W RMS @ 0.10%THD is better than 1000W at 1% THD

Cardy George

And you'll need to do more research...
Bastard. I googled.

My pair have no top end despite living in large, well built reflex enclosures. The Interwebs tells me they should have a balanced tone, maybe even a little light on bass without the right cabinets. Considering they're over 50 years old, were stored for who knows how long before we grabbed them, and only used sparingly since, I'm not surprised.

Back to the rabbit hole to learn me how to restore these treasures.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Whoops yeah sorry wrong way round. These sort of drivers date from the valve amp days and that's kind of where I'd be looking.

It would be worth sorting the drivers out as part of a loudspeaker system too. The box building and crossover design is relatively simple but getting to that point can be complicated...

I could lend you my copy of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 5th edition?

Cardy George

You lot haven't even seen them yet.

Mrs George says they are hers, they're part of her early inheritance, and if you lot want them, she comes too.

But, be warned. She doesn't operate on any standard system that I've come across, and she sure as hell didn't come with an instruction manual.

Buyer beware!

Cardy George

show us the front of the drivers Cardy
Here ya go.

They're tucked away in the corner at the moment. Wired up and working in conjunction with the stereo speakers so at least the detail was centred with the TV, until the stereo shit itself. Now that I know they should be more than just sub woofers, that will have to change. I'm still fighting Mrs George for real estate in the lounge room. It's a smallish room with awkwardly placed doors, windows and a huge fire place making it difficult to set up any sort of balanced unit without covering a window. Not a problem in my eyes, but Mrs George won't have it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You lot haven't even seen them yet.

Mrs George says they are hers, they're part of her early inheritance, and if you lot want them, she comes too.

But, be warned. She doesn't operate on any standard system that I've come across, and she sure as hell didn't come with an instruction manual.

Buyer beware!
All yours sbd.

Cardy are the speakers hiding your collection of Mills & Boone?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Here ya go.

They're tucked away in the corner at the moment. Wired up and working in conjunction with the stereo speakers so at least the detail was centred with the TV, until the stereo shit itself. Now that I know they should be more than just sub woofers, that will have to change. I'm still fighting Mrs George for real estate in the lounge room. It's a smallish room with awkwardly placed doors, windows and a huge fire place making it difficult to set up any sort of balanced unit without covering a window. Not a problem in my eyes, but Mrs George won't have it.
Righto...they look like coaxial drivers. Which means that the tweeter is that little driver in the middle rather than the usual dustcap over the motor. Same as you'd find in a front of house speaker or most car audio. And much the same as what I have in my shed speakers (15" P.Audio somethingorothers). Mounted up in a front ported box with a basic wired inline crossover they'll possibly turn into a very decent full range but more compact loudspeaker. You may find a design tool online that will give you the specs and dimensions you need?

Last edited: