COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forgive me for the stupid question, but bear with me.
Minor personal inconvenience compared to everyone else: i booked for 2 weeks holiday in cairns, from tassie, due to leave on saturday. Change planes in brisbane, but won't leave the airport.

In all seriousness, does anyone think its still reasonable to take this holiday? I run a small business; i can afford the holiday, but not any quarantine time i may incur. We're fully vaccinated, kids aren't.
A guy that works for me just got back from the Goldy.
Had to decide if still going as the outbreak in Sydney took off, then it was Brisbane's turn just as they started the holiday.
Turns out it was the best trip ever lol, all touristy things were dead quiet including all the theme parks. Had the place to themselves.
But then got back to Melb straight into our new lockdown 2 days later.

Glad it worked out well for him, but don't know I could have done it.
Missus wants to book something now, I just can't be stuffed getting stuffed around when the time comes to go, so will just wait it out and go on a massive bender once all this is over.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Minor personal inconvenience compared to everyone else: i booked for 2 weeks holiday in cairns, from tassie, due to leave on saturday. Change planes in brisbane, but won't leave the airport.

In all seriousness, does anyone think its still reasonable to take this holiday? I run a small business; i can afford the holiday, but not any quarantine time i may incur. We're fully vaccinated, kids aren't.
The main thing to consider is what if Tassie shuts its borders again. Could you still get back in? Affording a two week holiday isn't the issue - it's if it becomes a forced three month holiday. Tas had its borders shut for a long time last year, and that was before the Delta strain was kicking around.

clockworked

Like an orange
The main thing to consider is what if Tassie shuts its borders again. Could you still get back in? Affording a two week holiday isn't the issue - it's if it becomes a forced three month holiday. Tas had its borders shut for a long time last year, and that was before the Delta strain was kicking around.
Returning citizens are allowed in. It just costs 3k/head

Minlak

custom titis
What he said
Here is the issue - The suddenness of the closures is what will fuck you over. If you are prepared to take the risk and have met relevant requirements to travel then the travelling isn't the issue.

We live 4 hrs from Brisbane and have stuff to do in Brisbane and we haven't even been game enough to book a weekend away due to sudden closure not the actual closure.

So literally if QLD cases rise whilst you are here and TAS decides to shut the borders you will have to quarantine. The problem is no body say oh we are going to shut the borders 4 days from now it is always announced as from Midnight tonight. If you can't get out in time you will face quarantine possibly.

We were in New Zealand when the first lockdown happened Aus wide ( We got to quarantine at home). Literally told at 12pm that you have to quarantine if you are not in country by midnight. Tried to call airline to change flights or book new flights - Only way for us to change was by phone. Last plane out was in 3 hrs and there was a 5hr wait on the phones to even discuss it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
An excellent opinion piece:

Over the last decades, outbreaks of zoonotic infections like coronavirus have become more and more common. Scientists tell us the encroachment of cities on once pristine environments increases the chances of previously unknown viruses finding a human host. We might not know the exact cause of this particular outbreak but we’ve been repeatedly warned that ongoing deforestation and uncontrolled urbanism create the conditions for the spread of pathogens to which we have no resistance.

Covid-19 only kills a small proportion of those it infects – and still the global death toll from the pandemic stands at more than 4 million.
What happens if the next virus we release is more like Ebola, with a morbidity rate of over 60%?
Yet the leaders who can plan sporting events and business strategies years into the future seem incapable of grasping the desperate message from the world’s scientists: simply, we cannot continue in the same old way without unleashing unimaginable catastrophes. In the words of a leaked draft from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: “The worst is yet to come, affecting our children’s and grandchildren’s lives much more than our own.”

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some say second Pf is worse. Others disagree. Some are hit hard by both. Some get nothing from either.
I had AZ. Same applies it seems.

You get what you get.
Agree.. A bunch of mates were getting pfizzer jab 2 and I gave them the heads up it was shithouse.. Sure enough none of them had any reaction..

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

We've booked to cross the border in September and it's pretty much a low stakes gamble, we have decided that if the border closes we just lose $165 and move on. I'm not running a pay-the-bills business though. Doesn't stop shit going down while we're over there, but we'll only be there for 3 nights.

Unfortunately internal travel has been the same this time around, but we were lucky with the Bendigo accommodation letting us defer and Beechworth fully refunding with less than 48hrs notice.

Minlak

custom titis
Unfortunately internal travel has been the same this time around, but we were lucky with the Bendigo accommodation letting us defer and Beechworth fully refunding with less than 48hrs notice.
We had an Expo we were going to only made the decision the week before - We book a lot of stuff on Booking.com. Nearly all the hotels now have a red warning label that after April 2020 Covid is no longer a reason for cancellation. Booking.Com also have a waring lable suggesting we choose properties with free cancellation due to Covid no longer being a reason.

Brisbane was put into a snap lockdown - So we contacted Motel - They said fine to cancel it no fee but have to do through booking.com. Lodged request giving Booking.com the info I had and we got a refund pretty easy. A lot of the places realise people need to start having confidence to plan or they just wont get any business I think.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m not going to go under - yet. But the government both federal and state spruiking how much money they’ve given us in relief payments. Well my income has dropped to zero. In fact less than zero because I still have a shit tonne of outgoings that need paying. So tried to apply for a payment. Why not I’ve paid taxes for many years and I legit need the money.
Well for whatever reason I’m not eligible. Fuck you you lying scumfuck full of shit governments. I don’t need little sad emojis. I just needed to vent because I cant ring up the government direct and tell them that they are truly a bunch cunts.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I’m not going to go under - yet. But the government both federal and state spruiking how much money they’ve given us in relief payments. Well my income has dropped to zero. In fact less than zero because I still have a shit tonne of outgoings that need paying. So tried to apply for a payment. Why not I’ve paid taxes for many years and I legit need the money.
Well for whatever reason I’m not eligible. Fuck you you lying scumfuck full of shit governments. I don’t need little sad emojis. I just needed to vent because I cant ring up the government direct and tell them that they are truly a bunch cunts.
Send a physical letter to your local mp and the Treasurer. You would be surprised by the impact physical letters can have.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
I am not suggesting you haven't - Just trying to help.
The payment system is very confusing is there some one to ring to ask what payments you may be entitled too. Sometimes there is just too many right forms to fill out.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I am not suggesting you haven't - Just trying to help.
The payment system is very confusing is there some one to ring to ask what payments you may be entitled too. Sometimes there is just too many right forms to fill out.
It’s possible I’ve misfilled something or directed myself off in the wrong direction. Form filling especially when they make it this difficult is not my forte.
When the red mist clears and I’ve finished homeschooling for the day I’ll give it another crack. At the end of they day this isn’t really a stimulus package. They don’t want you to claim it.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s possible I’ve misfilled something or directed myself off in the wrong direction. Form filling especially when they make it this difficult is not my forte.
When the red mist clears and I’ve finished homeschooling for the day I’ll give it another crack. At the end of they day this isn’t really a stimulus package. They don’t want you to claim it.
There has to be someone that is capable of looking at an individuals circumstances and suggest they are eligible for X / Y / Z ? Although having said that I am sure its so complicated that most people would have no idea.

We found out after we started our business about all the things we could have gotten to start our business. Of course once its up and running its all too late.