The cooking thread

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Did a roast pork with crackling tonight.

Prepared the pork (patted down with paper towel then salted), left it about an hour sitting uncovered in the fridge to assist drying of the rind before going into the oven. Wiped it down with paper towel, then basted with lemon juice and rubbed in some olive oil and re-salted.

Set it up on two peeled & halved onions and blasted it all on high for almost an hour to get the crackling bubbled up nicely. Poured some veggie stock into the base of the pan to stop the meat drying out, added a splash of red wine, let that warm up for a bit, then chucked in some chunky cut sweet potato and pumpkin and chopped fresh thyme. While that was cooking, prepared and steamed some zucchini, green beans and corn on the cob.

Meat and roast/stewed veg came out like so:

Made some couscous with a 50/50 mix of pan juices and water from the steamed veg and mixed in some parmesan. Served it all up with a little sauerkraut (and added some mustard post-photo too). Gotta say - It was damn good! :)

Plenty of leftovers to reheat or reinvent too. I'm already thinking fried rice Monday night... :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nice @beeb! I feel like you are issuing a bit of a challenge...I've got the next 2 days off and haven't roasted any pork for ages.

I discovered while camping that grabbing the little bottle of crushed garlic in the dark and adding heaps to a ragu can be problematic when the same bottle can also contain ginger.
I think we’ve all been there !

You got confused between KY and deep heat too?

Minlak

custom titis
I have followed every combination of advice for crackling and have never yet managed to roast pork and get great crackling.
Either doesn’t crackle or too salty to eat or too hard to eat

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have followed every combination of advice for crackling and have never yet managed to roast pork and get great crackling.
Either doesn’t crackle or too salty to eat or too hard to eat
I used to suck at it. One day an old Chinese chef shard his secret with me which was small amount of oil and salt. So now I keep it really simple, I don't even fuck around drying the skin most times.

Oven 200

Score pork skin one of 2 ways. 1 is diamond pattern with each "square" being about bite size which I deem to be about the same size as the end of my thumb , thus it is easily cut into bite size pieces once cooked. 2 is I cut across the pork in rows, each row wide enough to be a single slice, and the consume can cut to their size preference on the plate. However you do it, my aim is not to have to crash my way through the cracking while carving or have spears of skin stabbing my mouth.

Rub oil and lots of salt into the skin. Let this sit for a while and maybe do it again, maybe not depending on how I feel.

Bake it until the crackling crackles and the meat is cooked...sometimes I give it another coat salt to encourage the blistering.

Now I really like flavour so cut pretty deep into the underside of the meat (like pork belly) and fill it with garlic, herbs, and msg. But this isn't part of the crackling journey.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
We got a take away/self cook tonight from Nomad to try and support a few locals that are at least open, and OMG no pics because I didn't think it was going to be all that flash.

Went for the whole South East USA experience with the smoked beef brisket and it came with everything Mac cheese, corn cob, slaw.

Will be doing again next w/e.

ausdb

Being who he is
Had a mates 50th yesterday, stayed up late Friday night and got the old weber going about 1am and did some pork scotch fillets for pulled pork.
I didn't think they were my best efforts but the crowd loved them. They weren't quite done at this stage, got covered and put in the oven to bring up to final temp and was too busy to take any photos of the finished products.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yesterday I set off to the grocery store with full intention of picking up the roast pork gauntlet cast down by professor @beeb enson a few days ago, and I do still have a nice slab of pork belly in the fridge ready for duty to that effect. But they also pork rib butts on sale. I am a huge sucker for ribs! So I decided to get some. While I wanted with myself over how many vacuum sealed bags I could fit in my back pack I saw they also had some diced pork that looked pretty good for the same price. All meat no bones? Well how could this go wrong? So no ribs, a pack of chunks and a bag full of veggies.

Anyway I had plans to go out to a local bar that does $5 pizza and $20 = 2 cocktails on Sunday nights with the intention of drinking a lot of cocktails and maybe eating a pizza. Slight sideways note - fuck those "men" who get their panties in a knot when the rum and cocktail bar they tag along too doesn't have enough beer options for them! Try something new you douche! So I didn't get to drink as many cocktails as I would have liked before going somewhere with a range of beer. Fucking yay.

Anyway I had some new whisk(E)y that needed tasting before dinner and after a bit of that I decided to make a curry!

It has 3 different types of chili, maybe like 2 soup spoons of black peppercorns, a generous (perhaps clumsy) amount of fennel seeds, heaps of garlic, 2 different types of curry powder (one from also and a Madras by Clive), and coconut cream. There's also a mix of veggies and lentils. Plus the added bonus of split peas I mistook for lentils. Oh and some butter - found an empty butter wrapper on the bench this morning when making coffee. I know the package only had about 1/4 left, so not much butter in the scheme of things and likely not something it really needed.

Between the whisky, the cocktails, rum, and whisky and then I forgot about the curry until some time this morning when I could smell it simmering away and switched it off. So now it looks half digested but tastes great. All praise the mighty slow cooker...kitchen companion to the useless!

Drunk pork curry:

The house absolutely reeks of it! In a delicious way.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yesterday I set off to the grocery store with full intention of picking up the roast pork gauntlet cast down by professor @beeb enson a few days ago, and I do still have a nice slab of pork belly in the fridge ready for duty to that effect. But they also pork rib butts on sale. I am a huge sucker for ribs! So I decided to get some. While I wanted with myself over how many vacuum sealed bags I could fit in my back pack I saw they also had some diced pork that looked pretty good for the same price. All meat no bones? Well how could this go wrong? So no ribs, a pack of chunks and a bag full of veggies.

Anyway I had plans to go out to a local bar that does $5 pizza and $20 = 2 cocktails on Sunday nights with the intention of drinking a lot of cocktails and maybe eating a pizza. Slight sideways note - fuck those "men" who get their panties in a knot when the rum and cocktail bar they tag along too doesn't have enough beer options for them! Try something new you douche! So I didn't get to drink as many cocktails as I would have liked before going somewhere with a range of beer. Fucking yay.

Anyway I had some new whisk(E)y that needed tasting before dinner and after a bit of that I decided to make a curry!

It has 3 different types of chili, maybe like 2 soup spoons of black peppercorns, a generous (perhaps clumsy) amount of fennel seeds, heaps of garlic, 2 different types of curry powder (one from also and a Madras by Clive), and coconut cream. There's also a mix of veggies and lentils. Plus the added bonus of split peas I mistook for lentils. Oh and some butter - found an empty butter wrapper on the bench this morning when making coffee. I know the package only had about 1/4 left, so not much butter in the scheme of things and likely not something it really needed.

Between the whisky, the cocktails, rum, and whisky and then I forgot about the curry until some time this morning when I could smell it simmering away and switched it off. So now it looks half digested but tastes great. All praise the mighty slow cooker...kitchen companion to the useless!

Drunk pork curry:

View attachment 377786

The house absolutely reeks of it! In a delicious way.
An epic adventure with a happy ending. Good stuff!

Still look forward to seeing you lift the bar on the roast pork stakes though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Did a chunk of pig shoulder in the baby weber on the weekend, cooked over a wood fire. Kindling was a bit of a mix, but otherwise the fuel to build the coal bed was pure raw-cut Eucalypt, I think some Black Box I collected along the Murray a couple of years ago, so well aged. I've given up trying to get good crackle in the baby, there's just not enough space between the coals and the meat to get the heat up without burning the arse out of the meat.

So after building a decent but not-too-hot coal bed, chucked the pig on, splash of medium-bodied red wine & a couple of quartered spuds in the tray, shut the lid & half-closed the vents, so basically made a hot-smoked ham with a very distinct Euc flavour to it. Yummy as fuck, just accept the rind is basically rubber....

Poor baby weber's arse is just about burnt out, so I'll need to replace it soon. Will probably get a full-size, which should be less sensitive due to more breathing space, but the baby's compactness is good for camping, so I'll probably get another one for that too.

indica

Serial flasher
Boston Butt

Dry brined overnight then covered in brown sugar, smoked paprika, mustard powder, ancho powder, chipotle powder, dried oregano and chilli flakes.

In the crusty Hark at 0630 this morning.

Done at around 1630

Rested for an hour then pulled. Absolutely GLORIOUS and so easy.

And, a home brewed Baltic Porter.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
'Let's make dumplings' said the lovely Mrs.
'Sounds like fun. Have you done it before?'
'No'.
'Errr....'
'I'll roll and you can fill them'.

So my efforts looked mostly like bent burritos or squished tacos. None split and there were getting better near the end.

Lesson for the day:
Things that look easy may not be easy.
20210724_172342.jpg
20210724_172433.jpg
20210724_175258.jpg