Truunion Mount Suspension upgrade - Giant Trance

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have swapped the forks out from FOX 34 130 Travel for ROCKSOX Lyric 170 - This has worked really well and the bike rides fine.

Is it as simple as just going to the next size up for the rear shock.

The Bike Currently has the Fox Float DPS 165 mm Eye to Eye....45 mm.

Hers the bike..

Cheers
IMO - Try and grab a DPX2 or whatever the DVO shock was that came on the highest spec models second hand. Going to a longer stroke shock (if there is something available in 165mm trunnion) will probably not work as the suspension links will likely touch the frame. Maestro is normally pretty tight on clearance from what I've seen.

But faaaaaaark dude, that's a big jump in fork travel. You've got a lot of faith in that frame.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
170mm fork is a big change, which will:

• Slacken the head angle (which you probably like)
  • Raise the stack height (which you probably like)
  • Shorten the reach (which is fine if the bike was a bit long for you before)
  • Slacken off the seat angle (which isn't great)
  • Raise the bottom bracket (which isn't great for cornering)
  • Put more pressure on the head tube with the angles is wasn't designed for (fine unless it snaps off)

Trying to shoehorn in a longer e2e shock longer stroke shock will be a trial and error process and would raise the bottom bracket height even more or potentially result in tyre rubbing the frame, respectively.

My suggestion would be to space the fork down to 150mm and leave it be.

170mm fork is a big change, which will:

• Slacken the head angle (which you probably like)
  • Raise the stack height (which you probably like)
  • Shorten the reach (which is fine if the bike was a bit long for you before)
  • Slacken off the seat angle (which isn't great)
  • Raise the bottom bracket (which isn't great for cornering)
  • Put more pressure on the head tube with the angles is wasn't designed for (fine unless it snaps off)
Trying to shoehorn in a longer e2e shock longer stroke shock will be a trial and error process and would raise the bottom bracket height even more or potentially result in tyre rubbing the frame, respectively.

My suggestion would be to space the fork down to 150mm and leave it be.
Yeah.. your spot on, the bike feels awesome but the bottom bracket is significantly higher, I dont want to make it higher and was think a longer travel shock might increase bb height. I have a 160 Shaft so will drop if needed.

The frame on these bike are tuff as..the Axle to crown increase was around 30mm...I'm not pushing the bike that hard as I'm pretty new to MTB....

Might give it a miss..

Cheers mate

IMO - Try and grab a DPX2 or whatever the DVO shock was that came on the highest spec models second hand. Going to a longer stroke shock (if there is something available in 165mm trunnion) will probably not work as the suspension links will likely touch the frame. Maestro is normally pretty tight on clearance from what I've seen.

But faaaaaaark dude, that's a big jump in fork travel. You've got a lot of faith in that frame.
I might look at doing that instead, Cheers buddy....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The linkage geometry pretty well locks you into a set shock i2i & stroke, so you can't alter travel like you can at the front with a fork swap. So you need to look at shock tune, which might be an internal alteration of your existing unit, or replacing it with one that behaves differently while still fitting within the constaints of the suspension system.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The shock is actually 165mm eye to eye with 42.5mm stroke. The 42.5 and 45mm stroke shocks are the same but with a 2.5mm internal stroke limiting spacer factory installed.

Some have either removed the spacer or fitted a 45mm stroke shock for a bit more travel but you'd want to use your own judgement about whether there is any interference at full bottom out.

A different eye to eye shock will not work.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
130 Travel for ROCKSOX Lyric 170
Wacky geometry, compromised ride dynamics, and risk of headtube snapping aren't necessarily things i'd recommend to someone fairly new to MTB..

Really though, please drop a 150mm spring in that Lyrik. Properly set up & tuned suspension within or at least only slightly above the standard spec'd travel is going to feel & perform faaar better than an unbalanced, high & rear-weighted setup on a bike that very much isn't designed for the type of riding that warrants a 170mm fork. If you wanted more travel you'd have been far better off getting a Reign.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wacky geometry, compromised ride dynamics, and risk of headtube snapping aren't necessarily things i'd recommend to someone fairly new to MTB..

Really though, please drop a 150mm spring in that Lyrik. Properly set up & tuned suspension within or at least only slightly above the standard spec'd travel is going to feel & perform faaar better than an unbalanced, high & rear-weighted setup on a bike that very much isn't designed for the type of riding that warrants a 170mm fork. If you wanted more travel you'd have been far better off getting a Reign.
My thoughts too - even aside from the risk of over stressing the frame with leverage at the head tube it wasnt designed for, the whacky geometry you've created will make it ride like a pig.

130mm wouldn't be going more than 150mm for sure, even that will compromise the way it rides.

It is what it is - if you need big travel its new bike time!

Minlak

custom titis
I swapped the forks over from FOX 34 130 Travel for ROCKSOX Lyric 170 - This has worked really well and the bike rides fine.
Yet according to OP it rides fine - You all out there putting 29" fronts and 27.5" rears on your 26" frames let him do what he wants if he is happy :)