The HiFi thread

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
What budget do you have in mind?
I'm not sure what a decent setup costs. I want something that will last me years, speakers last forever after all. I'd like to be under 5 figures though.

Any of the big japanese brands Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer. 4k is good for future proofing, hdmi 2.1 is nice but will probably cost you and only really worthwhile if you have a next gen console and high end 4k tv.
I don't think I'll need HDMI 2.1, I'm not gaming on the TV so 2.0a/b's more than adequate. I have a GT 1030 (HDMI 2.0b) sitting around that I'm contemplating building a HTPC with; otherwise I'll get another Blu-ray/DVR.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm not sure what a decent setup costs. I want something that will last me years, speakers last forever after all. I'd like to be under 5 figures though.

I don't think I'll need HDMI 2.1, I'm not gaming on the TV so 2.0a/b's more than adequate. I have a GT 1030 (HDMI 2.0b) sitting around that I'm contemplating building a HTPC with; otherwise I'll get another Blu-ray/DVR.
Just 7.1, or music done properly too? What size room?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Just 7.1, or music done properly too? What size room?
Music would be nice too but isn't the main concern. Mostly CDs/FLAC rips with a bit of streaming. Room sizes will be small to medium, think bedroom sized. I haven't moved into the next place quite yet and I don't think I'll be settling down into my own place for some years.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Music would be nice too but isn't the main concern. Mostly CDs/FLAC rips with a bit of streaming. Room sizes will be small to medium, think bedroom sized. I haven't moved into the next place quite yet and I don't think I'll be settling down into my own place for some years.
Are we just looking for speakers and an AVR for under 10 grand? Rooms too small for 7.1 for now probably. I’d start with 5.1 and add 7.1 when you move to a bigger space.

If so,

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/krix/krix-harmonix-5-1.html looks nice in anything but black. The Atlantic Jarrah is lovely.

The Anthem processors and AVR are awesome, they used to be a customer installer only product, so no online sales. I’m not sure if that’s still the case, but quality vs price I don’t think they can be beat. There might be restrictions on store pickup only for Anthem, but I see the big picture people carry them.

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Are we just looking for speakers and an AVR for under 10 grand?
And stands too; don't think I'll be able to drill walls to mount stuff. Speakers and a receiver should be all I need gear-wise right? Am I correct to think that an AVR's basically a DAC, amp and HDMI bridge all in one?

From the brief look now it seems things aren't cheap even without getting into audiophile grade snake oil! It's a balance between not wanting to waste money by cheaping out and not wanting to blow a load. Buy once, cry once I guess. I've decided that going over 10k would be stupid. It's more than I've spent on bikes. I also think that if you're spending that much you should also invest in treating the room which I can't.

Rooms too small for 7.1 for now probably. I’d start with 5.1 and add 7.1 when you move to a bigger space.
Sounds sensible. I think I just wanted to avoid limiting my options with a purely 5.1 receiver.

The Anthem processors and AVR are awesome, they used to be a customer installer only product, so no online sales. I’m not sure if that’s still the case, but quality vs price I don’t think they can be beat. Their might be restrictions on store pickup only for Anthem, but I see the big picture people carry them.

My first thought was "that's a pretty penny!", and then I saw the cost of some other units o_O. What separates $3k units from the $1000 ones?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wireless in-ear buds for $150-$220 range for my wife on the train etc just listening to spotify, podcasts etc.

Any recommendations?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wireless in-ear buds for $150-$220 range for my wife on the train etc just listening to spotify, podcasts etc.

Any recommendations?
Tozo t12. Waterproof and the princely sum of $60 from Amazon. Worked better than my Bose soundsports.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Any recommendations?
Recently purchased...

JBL Tune225TWS
PRO: Comfortable, okay sound, good for quiet office/bed time listening
CON: Sound suffers in high ambient noise environment, won't stay put on the bike/exercising, shorter than expected play time.

Skull Indy Evo S2IVW
PRO: Good sound even in noisy background environment, stay put while on the bike/exercising, good battery life
CON: Not as comfortable for extended listening.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
What did you order exactly?
That Krix Pack in Atlantic Jarrah - Harmonix Mk2 Fronts, Vortex Mk2 centre, Equinox surrounds and Tektonix sub and an MRX540 AVR. I decided the Anthem was worth it to get ARC. I also looked at the Krix SX line but the surrounds are all wall-mount and it was going to be at least a grand more.

I haven't got stands but I'll wait until it's all in the room first. I still need the rest of the furniture so I can work out positioning and heights.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've been loving my little Krix speakers, you're in for a treat - love how you've gone all in @wesdadude, will be an amazing system!

Started playing around with a Raspberry Pi music server/streamer today. Just added a cheap DAC hat for now, but will probably just get a decent DAC and output over USB to it at some point. Using Volumio to get me going, was up and running in minutes.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm not after the ultimate set up, you could probably say I'm playing in the Rebel Sport end of the pool, just after something to give what I have a bit more punch.

Currently I have these in gorgeous boxes that I really want to keep using, paired with a basic cheap mini stereo that I have literally just twisted the wires together and shoved them in the back. (Don't start, I know that's dodgy).

The signal from the TV to the stereo is via a headphone jack to RCA converter cable.

I think what I'm after is a stereo receiver. But I have NFI where to start or what to look for. It doesn't need to be high end with perfect reproduction or staging. I've spent 20 years on printing presses, I'm probably not going to be able to hear it anyway.

Is something like this any good?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One of my Sonos Play:5's randomly lost its wireless connection a while back. Took me a while to chase it up, but I eventually remembered to give them a call after work last week. They mentioned it was "out of warranty" (it was 3+years old), but I had connected it via an ethernet cable from when I'd be trying the preliminary 'factory reset', so they connected to it remotely and confirmed the fault.

When they mentioned it was out of warranty I had been getting prepared for a bit of grumbling about cost of the unit, service life and Australian consumer "fit for purpose" protections, but to my surprise they just approved a replacement on the spot, sent me an e-mail with pre-paid postage label to send the dead unit back, then sent out the replacement once that was received.

Kudos for a painless warranty claim Sonos.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm not after the ultimate set up, you could probably say I'm playing in the Rebel Sport end of the pool, just after something to give what I have a bit more punch.

Currently I have these in gorgeous boxes that I really want to keep using, paired with a basic cheap mini stereo that I have literally just twisted the wires together and shoved them in the back. (Don't start, I know that's dodgy).

The signal from the TV to the stereo is via a headphone jack to RCA converter cable.

I think what I'm after is a stereo receiver. But I have NFI where to start or what to look for. It doesn't need to be high end with perfect reproduction or staging. I've spent 20 years on printing presses, I'm probably not going to be able to hear it anyway.

Any receiver will likely be fine. Decide a budget then look, specs are going to be very similar. Look at what features you want.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Personally IMO you would be better off buying something 2nd hand preferably older and Japanese or European manufactured.

Brands Like:

Pioneer/Onkyo/Technics/Marantz/Nakamichi/Sansui

or

British brands like Arcam/Audiolab/Creek/Musical Fidelity/Sugden/Cambridge Audio

Will give you more bang for your buck, sure they won't have the fancy features like Bluetooth/Airplay/DAB+ etc but you will get better sound quality over today's mass produced in Taiwan lower end crap.

Scout eBay and Gumtree for options...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

You'll need to be a bit careful with a modern amplifier as those drivers have a far higher impedance than many modern amplifiers can manage without... melting? They are however glorious. And you'll need to do more research...