Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just don’t swerve for anything at highway speeds unless you really want to test how strong the roll cage is … Don’t put sticky tyres on it, you want them to understeer/slide to reduce the chance of a rollover.
Lots of moose up north.

On beaches winches, with very few exceptions, pull other people out, if you are going solo recovery includes bridle strap, tow strap, snatch strap, shackles and maxtrax or cheap and nasty copy. Compressor is not negotiable. You already have a decent tyre gauge. Don't fall for deflaters or fancy gauges that pull valves.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
maxtrax or cheap and nasty copy.
Unless the knock-offs have got a lot better over the last couple of years, I'd say it's worth spending the premium for the "brand name" version(s). Seen several of the cheapies just shatter into pieces when required for a recovery.

They're probably my most disliked form of recovery regardless. Might be alright in soft sand, but about 80% of the times we tried them in mud/loose dirt/rocky dirt, etc... if the wheel spun at all they'd just launch the track from under the wheel (Note: Don't stand in font/behind tracks when a recovery is in progress). I imagine the only time that they wouldn't be sketchy would be if you had lockers installed, and then if you've got stuck with lockers you're probably going to need a winch anyway.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Unless the knock-offs have got a lot better over the last couple of years, I'd say it's worth spending the premium for the "brand name" version(s). Seen several of the cheapies just shatter into pieces when required for a recovery.

They're probably my most disliked form of recovery regardless. Might be alright in soft sand, but about 80% of the times we tried them in mud/loose dirt/rocky dirt, etc... if the wheel spun at all they'd just launch the track from under the wheel (Note: Don't stand in font/behind tracks when a recovery is in progress). I imagine the only time that they wouldn't be sketchy would be if you had lockers installed, and then if you've got stuck with lockers you're probably going to need a winch anyway.
I have only used them on sand, not mud, they got me and the camper out last Dec when we were on our own. Have also seen some copies break in two and shatter in use. I recently recovered a 4.5t truck that was 'bogged' on wet grass but hadn't broken through the surface, we had 8 to use and placed them in four lots of two, the maxtrax helped a lot though one went backwards faster and further than I thought possible.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Dunnit make it safer tho?

But yeah...wait until you get it to the end of the street, without it catching fire, ejecting you through the windscreen, ejecting the left rear through the neighbours bay window, dropping the transfer case oil, prop shaft and fuel tank, entering limp mode for the rest of its 60000km life or any of the tousands of other stereotype failures these bejing buckets and Landrovers are famous for, before investing in aftermarket crap.

stirk

Burner
Lots of moose up north.

On beaches winches, with very few exceptions, pull other people out, if you are going solo recovery includes bridle strap, tow strap, snatch strap, shackles and maxtrax or cheap and nasty copy. Compressor is not negotiable. You already have a decent tyre gauge. Don't fall for deflaters or fancy gauges that pull valves.
I've seen these tested on the interwebs and they work. https://www.deadmanoffroad.com/
Maxtrax would be the first option in the sand but this deadman looks handy with other uses.

Minlak

custom titis
Got my new Ute!
Not actually trying to set you up for anything so I humbly ask anyone responding to his reply (if he replies) be respectful of his decision. I don't want to start a debate on something he has already purchased.

@HamboCairns I am genuinely interested to know your decision making on this UTE? - On paper it presents well but for me there are some big questions I would have had to have answered before I would own one.

Please anyone replies be respectful

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Not actually trying to set you up for anything so I humbly ask anyone responding to his reply (if he replies) be respectful of his decision. I don't want to start a debate on something he has already purchased.

@HamboCairns I am genuinely interested to know your decision making on this UTE? - On paper it presents well but for me there are some big questions I would have had to have answered before I would own one.

Nah fuck that.
He ended up with the billykart because he took advice from youtubers. :D

Haakon

Keeps on digging

The Chinese are on track to own a very very large chunk of the automotive industry in the next decade. They don’t just make junk anymore and following the same path as the Japanese in the 70s and the Koreans in the 2000s.

I think all of these dual cab “ute” things are mostly fucking stupid piles of crap, but I don’t doubt as the breed goes this isn’t a terrible one.

Minlak

custom titis
The Chinese are on track to own a very very large chunk of the automotive industry in the next decade. They don’t just make junk anymore and following the same path as the Japanese in the 70s and the Koreans in the 2000s.

I think all of these dual cab “ute” things are mostly fucking stupid piles of crap, but I don’t doubt as the breed goes this isn’t a terrible one.
Well tradies do use them and we all know your unbiased opinion about that

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

It's a challenger brand for sure and their previous effort wasn't that good as far as crash protection is concerned but this one is totally different.

Listening to the design and engineering interviews, early adopters that have gone off-road, pulled caravans and just used them for work, they seem to be holding up well so far.

It's loaded with safety kit too, including a first for a ute with a centre airbag as well as lane assist, 360 degree cameras, front and rear sensors and emergency braking.

It looks good to me as well with loads of small features like a pneumatic struts for the rear tailgate and front bonnet, rear pull out step built into the tailgate and useful pull up and fold down rear seats.

It has a 7 year warranty and 5 years of roadside assist.

Of course the decider is that the top of the range model with full leather interior is $40,990 drive away!

Anyhoo, take the piss all you like, it's my cash, not yours and my posts about it over the months and years might convince you it's a good move all going well.

Minlak

custom titis
Well this is a forum, as long as the posts aren't personal attacks then no problem from me.

It's the dickhead "you're a traitor to Australia" stuff that pisses me off more.
Seeing as no utes are made in Aus anyway that's a petty and stupid argument - But I am sure there is plenty to work with here without accusing you of that :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Well this is a forum, as long as the posts aren't personal attacks then no problem from me.

It's the dickhead "you're a traitor to Australia" stuff that pisses me off more.
Toyota, GM and Ford are not local brands either, but are routinely favoured by dickhead bogans with southern cross tats….